Gerber Gator Review

Thinking about getting the Gerber Gator Drop Point Plain Edge Knife 6064 , with 154cm blade..any thoughts on this knife?

i used to have a gerber gator back when they first came out. i loved that knife. i do not know how much they have changed though.

I had one of the early 90's gator,i really loved/edc that knife,i am curious how the new one is...........

I think Bear on Man Vs Wild used this knife in his early episodes!

I am embarrassed to admit that I bought one for this very reason.

Please tell no one!

I'm not sure if Bear's was a drop point, but thats neither here nor there. It might have been partially serrated too, as mine is.

Its a sturdy, entry-level folder with no clip that fills the hand well. Thats pretty much my review of it.

:thumbup:

Well, I am a hunter and they work darn well for that purpose, the only draw back, as with all folders is that they are a bit harder to clean. They do make it in a fixed version too. Cabelas has one in s30v. I have a couple of the folders in 154cm.

I wouldn't use the gator as a hunting knife more as a EDC, plus i think its a cool knife just to have. THe 154CM blade is a added bonus!!!

Have had a DP Gator in ATS-34 for years. IMO, it's one of the best ergonomic handles on the market. It fits my hand perfectly. It could use a thumbstud (I've added one to mine). If they had one of those Outdoor Edge low key pocket clips, it would be an outstanding EDC for me. Only reason I don't carry mine as EDC is because of the pocket clip thing. dangit...

I got my Gerber Gator a few years back but it came with a few goodies. It was the origanal kit from Cabelas. Now they come with the crappy knives and axes so i wouldnt recomend the current ones. It comes with a small Fiskars/Gerber axe, the 154cm Gerber Gator, a diamond rod and a folding saw. This thing gets taken on my hunting trips along with the over kill of knives i tend to take. Well here it is.
100_3375.jpg

100_3376.jpg

100_3377.jpg

I recomend the older gerbers that state the steel but i try to stay away from the newer ones. Just my two cents. Thanks

Mike

I have always liked the looks and feel of the Gators, but I have never pulled the trigger simply because any I have seen have not stated the steel used. And yes, I long for the old days when Gerber was a force to be reckoned with. *sigh*

I just purchased a Gator with partially serrated blade. Hair shaving sharp out of the box. Steel type not mentioned on the knife or in the box it came in. It does say Portland OR on the blade hilt. Anyone know what the steel is?

If you go to the Gerber website and click on 'specs' it tells you that the gator and the LST line are made from 420HC. Same as Buck.

I have 2 folders (clip and drop points) and a drop point fixed gator. My original one from the 90's has gutted and skinned countless hogs and deer with little sharpening. I find the newer ones feel a bit different (lighter or something), but still hold an edge well. They've split their share of briskets and pelvis', too, and not broken. Grip is good in slippery conditions. Good knife for $30.

You bet it is. I have a couple in the cm 154 and one that is unmarked. Well worth the money.

seems like a great deal for a 154cm knife.
any other competitors at this price range? or for a fixed blade at this price in 154cm?

This thread...It's Coming...BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!

:D

-sh00ter

Seriously though, I've always wondered about the Gator folders myself, herd good things, but just haven't pull the trigger yet.

Back