Gerber Sportsman Multi-Plier for $5

Just got this for $5 today, my local Wal-Mart seems to be having these on a closeout.....

MultiPlierBlstr.jpg
MultiPlierBlstrBk.jpg

Yes, that is $5.--
MultiPlierPrice.jpg

--
Vincent

http://UnknownVT2005.cjb.net
http://UnknownVT.cjb.net
http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net

i got one about a month ago for 10.00. but 5.00 is even better! i'll take another look and see if i can snag a few! thanks.

can get lunch for $5 nowadays - great grab!

Same at the wal-marts up here, but I didn't grab any cause I have one and I hate it. Still $5 isn't bad at all.

There is no Wal-Mart close to me around here. Can someone pick me up one and I'll send them the dough? :)

LOL!!!! :p :p

Yeah, and it'll be $5 for the knife, $10 for shipping! :D

Daniel Koster said:
LOL!!!! :p :p Yeah, and it'll be $5 for the knife, $10 for shipping! :D
Well, USPS Priority Mail would be a flat rate of $3.85. I can live with paying someone $10 to send me one. :D

You serious, Ken?

Or are you doing some leg-pullin.....

Daniel Koster said:
You serious, Ken?

Or are you doing some leg-pullin.....
I'm dead serious.

nelsonmc, just curious,why do you hate it? is it all the slop in the plier part?
BTW i can tell you how to clean-up that slop, if your insterested.

Ken - I'll pick you one up and drop it in the mail (unless you want to wait until Blade....:D)

Check out my location......

I live in Wal-Mart headquarters.....:rolleyes:

I have 3 Supercenters and 1 "Neighborhood Market" Wal-Marts within 15 minutes of each other....:eek:....(and another on the way)

UnknownVT, ok here goes.....
**this will work on 600 series and i would think 400 also**

1- remove the plier jaws. (by unsnaping the black clips on either side, much like a master-link on a chain)
*!*!* be sure not to loose the little springs under the "release studs"*!*!*
2-with the jaws removed, take a pair of "channel locks" or similar plier and GENTLY squease the handle pivots. do this until the jaws will just slide in and out of the handle.*this takes care of the side-to-side play in the jaw section.
3- reassemble the plier jaws. *note: the black clips go on as to have the open ends facing (pointing) to the jaws.

*now for the up and down play (i use this term because i'm an idiot and don't know the correct term)
4-after reassembly, you will need two (2) 3/16 cir-clips / c-clips. just slide these under the leading (open) end of the black clips.

**this should tighten up everything and still slide/one-hand open.

**may take some break-in

Whew! :eek:

Originally Posted by wwells20

*you gotta love my spellin! :confused:

wwells20 said:
nelsonmc, just curious,why do you hate it? is it all the slop in the plier part?

I've had one for probably 4 or 5 years, no slop really. The jaws sometimes lock up on mine, not sure why. I usually have to bang the hell out of them with a hammer every so often. I think I might have a defective one, who knows. I just never liked the damn things.

this is just a guess, but have you ever cut any HARD wire with them? if so, the wire-cutter part may be damaged (has a burr).

*we want them to be a toolbox,(i do) but they are good to have sometimes.
me, i do service work. i use them everyday.

wwells20 said:
this is just a guess, but have you ever cut any HARD wire with them? if so, the wire-cutter part may be damaged (has a burr).

They came that way, just never took the time to return them. I don't really use the pliers, they're only opened up when I use the file or a blade. I'm not talking just stiff, there have been times I can barely open them up. I guess I'm just unlucky with Gerber products. I have a Gerber LST with a lock that doesn't work and a Gator that the tip broke on, but that was probably due to the fact I was using it like a prybar :D

now i know what you need to do. if you will "pean" the center of one side of the pivot that problem wiil stop. try to do this when it is free feeling.

*what is happening is the pivot center piece is turning and locking up the jaws. on most pliers, one side is pressed so it doesn't move. try doing this.

***use a center punch and go lightly with more pressure with each hit.

wwells20 said:
now i know what you need to do. if you will "pean" the center of one side of the pivot that problem wiil stop. try to do this when it is free feeling.

*what is happening is the pivot center piece is turning and locking up the jaws. on most pliers, one side is pressed so it doesn't move. try doing this.

***use a center punch and go lightly with more pressure with each hit.

Yeah I've noticed how only one side moves. I've beat the hell outta the thing. It will loosen up for a week or so then seize back up. I'll try to knock on the center some more. Right now it's loose and moves, not freely, but enough where I can open and close them fine. I considered sending them to Gerber and see if they would repair or replace but once again I just never have. Do you think they would repair/replace?

the center pin is oblong and when it turns a certain way, it locks up the jaws.
*hope this helps **go lightly with the punch!

Back