Gettin' Jiggy With It - Jigged Bone Photos

Mark, first I've heard of that company. I take it you looked it up in Goins? If not: "His speciality was fine pocket cutlery, including combination knives. In connection with his store and factory, he did a large amount of repair work both for the public and private cutlery trade." Born in Germany in 1845 where he learned the cutler's trade before settling in NYC. Retail store opened in 1876 in NYC, factory in 1900 in Spring Valley, NY. Says he commuted in from Spring Valley to the retail store nearly every day. Closed in 1941 after fire burned down the factory.
Very cool knife! I think jigging the bone up to the bolsters and out to the edges is a nice hallmark of quality from back in the day.

Mike, Thank you, my friend, for that wealth of info! Very interesting that they had there own factory. It is very well built. Blades smooth and snappy. I will try to get some better pics.
Thanks again!

Couple of Rough Rider pictures

pDEOOkw.jpg

EVojt7E.jpg

Mike, Thank you, my friend, for that wealth of info! Very interesting that they had there own factory. It is very well built. Blades smooth and snappy. I will try to get some better pics.
Thanks again!
Mark, glad to help. Looking forward to seeing more pictures. It would be a good addition to the "old knives" thread at the top.

A lovely little jack, Will.

Many thanks Jeff, it's a curious small knife, thick handle slabs that make handling easy-very important on 3.25" knife. I like the Barehead but particularly the ideal blade choice, Clip/Sheepfoot. It needs imitating more often.

Regards, Will

Back