Gettin' Jiggy With It - Jigged Bone Photos

Another PAL

28GJh4d.jpg

KP94x5i.jpg

Could be a house brand made by one of the Solingen cutleries. Whoever done it, done it good! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Fodderwing Fodderwing
I think Al is right here... figuring out a specific cutler for German and/or English knives is near impossible if it is not readily documented somewhere. Back then Germany and England had major knife "distributors" that gathered knives from dozens of different actual "cutlers" from all around the greater Solingen and Sheffield area. For example, Alfred Field & Co, a major "distributor" of knives would gather knives from different cutlers around Sheffield and would put them in classes from best quality to "good enough" quality ;) Their top class knives would be branded "A Field & Co" and their next class was "Continental Cutlery", etc. but there was no single cutler that produced these knives. I like to think of it how farms here in the U.S. distribute their eggs and milk to a "brand" like Kemp's dairy or Eggland's Best eggs. The milk and eggs come from a collection of individual farms as opposed to one huge farm... at least around Wisconsin they do :)

Here's another Lamplough @ 4 1/8 inches. I (think) I read somewhere long ago that this brand was marketed in Canada. This example has "Johnson Wires" etched and once had some gold filling in the etch.View attachment 1130733 View attachment 1130734 View attachment 1130735
I found that Canada reference too Cal, best I can tell Lamplough was an importer of knives based out of Montreal, Canada. Sounds like they were considered to have some quality kitchen cutlery too. Dwight's looks to have an advertising etch on his as well... something that ends in "Works".

Fodderwing Fodderwing
I think Al is right here... figuring out a specific cutler for German and/or English knives is near impossible if it is not readily documented somewhere. Back then Germany and England had major knife "distributors" that gathered knives from dozens of different actual "cutlers" from all around the greater Solingen and Sheffield area. For example, Alfred Field & Co, a major "distributor" of knives would gather knives from different cutlers around Sheffield and would put them in classes from best quality to "good enough" quality ;) Their top class knives would be branded "A Field & Co" and their next class was "Continental Cutlery", etc. but there was no single cutler that produced these knives. I like to think of it how farms here in the U.S. distribute their eggs and milk to a "brand" like Kemp's dairy or Eggland's Best eggs. The milk and eggs come from a collection of individual farms as opposed to one huge farm... at least around Wisconsin they do :)
Thanks again Kevin. Yes I neglected to say the blade etch is "John Deere Works".

Here's another Lamplough @ 4 1/8 inches. I (think) I read somewhere long ago that this brand was marketed in Canada. This example has "Johnson Wires" etched and once had some gold filling in the etch.View attachment 1130733 View attachment 1130734 View attachment 1130735
Thanks for showing that Cal. This one is 4 1/8" also.

Thanks again Kevin. Yes I neglected to say the blade etch is "John Deere Works".
This is the most definitive thing I could find online ;)

"the F.W. Lamplough Company operated in the early 1900's in Montreal, importing knives and scissors from Solingen. The company became George W. Lamplough Ltd. in 1966, and afterwards Lamplough Cutlery Limited. The corporation was dissolved in 2003."

See below "thumbnail" pic from web of a Lamplough scissors

Attachments

• Lamplough.JPG
    Lamplough.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 5

Very interesting, thanks for the info. I have never heard of Lamplough or seen any examples, of course I do live a long ways from Montreal. Something to keep my eyes open for at flea markets.

Back