Gnarly Wharncliffe

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Gnarly and I were talking and he told me I should try a Titanium Wharncliffe... here is the Gnarly Wharny Prototype.

.090 6al4v Titanium, rounded spine, orange peel texturing and craters for grip :cool:

Chop time.
023iwd.jpg

After that...
025xg.jpg

bad photo... it started raining. That is a drop of water nearthe ricasso.
039zv.jpg

I think it might look cool with the edge heat colored...

Wow!

Just frigginWOW!

Nice! I'll get some better photos soon, it looks pretty darn good I think and deserves some decent pics. I got it to a near zero bevel so it is a slicer! Polished edge... smooth bevel, orange peel and moon crater finish, there's 4 different finishes going on. :D

Daniel, typically I am a fan of more sinuous and flowing shapes, but your use of straight lines, hard angles, and geometric shapes with an appropriate amount of gometrically true curves added has really made me step back and re-evaluate what I think makes a good looking knife. As you have constantly produced cubic and angular shapes as soft and appealing to the eye as some of the more traditional knives. Beyond mall ninjas and tacticool types, I really see a picasso-esque juxtaposition of hard, cold, angular shapes mixed with touches of flowing, soft, almost feminine like features to create a drastically sophisticated piece being the next big wave of collecting.

I will be keeping a close eye on you over the next few years, hopefully able to purchase a couple pieces along the way, because if you are anything like I believe you to be, things will change for the good.

They say the only difference between art and insanity is success. I can see you going far with this...

-Xander

Just outta curiosity: how much does it weigh,DFK?

26 grams! Having no cord wrap really makes it really, really light. It is kind of cool knowing they make pry bars out of this same thickness of Ti.

It is substantial too, over 6" long. Lol I just got our scale working yesterday as it needed new batteries, now I need to locate a ruler, lol... my wife took it yesterday so she could measure out paracord for custom bracelets, she has been selling them like crazy locally!

Out of curiosity I weighed a keychain I have, it has 3 car keys, a master lock key and a small ring to put them on... 52 grams. :D

Daniel, typically I am a fan of more sinuous and flowing shapes, but your use of straight lines, hard angles, and geometric shapes with an appropriate amount of gometrically true curves added has really made me step back and re-evaluate what I think makes a good looking knife. As you have constantly produced cubic and angular shapes as soft and appealing to the eye as some of the more traditional knives. Beyond mall ninjas and tacticool types, I really see a picasso-esque juxtaposition of hard, cold, angular shapes mixed with touches of flowing, soft, almost feminine like features to create a drastically sophisticated piece being the next big wave of collecting.

I will be keeping a close eye on you over the next few years, hopefully able to purchase a couple pieces along the way, because if you are anything like I believe you to be, things will change for the good.

They say the only difference between art and insanity is success. I can see you going far with this...

-Xander

Thanks!

You get what I'm going for! I have always been into abstract forms that flow, I got in to knife making from stone cutting and a bit of sculpture. I do look at my knifemaking from more of an artists perspective, I especially enjoy designing the knives. I usually start cutting the steel with only a general idea of what I want and work from there as far as ergonomics and form goes.

Just for kicks yesterday I took a piece of steel and put a handle shape on it but left the blade shape uncut, I'll have to figure out what it will be. There is a knife in there somewhere. :D

I have a lot I could say (and erased, lol) but mostly... dude that was cool.

Last edited:
Sent you another one of my bizarre rambling emails,Daniel....hope it makes sense!

Sent you another one of my bizarre rambling emails,Daniel....hope it makes sense!

I sent you a much more bizarre and rambling one back. :D

Actually it wasn't bizarre or rambling at all but maybe that tells you something about me too... lmao. :D

hey Daniel, how well does that 6/4 Ti hold up? I have some .040" thick I was thinking of using for an Altoids tin PSK knife. I would prefer to use a carbon or stainless, but it's what I have on hand and I just want to go back out in the garage and keep grinding! I have another 'dashi design I am going to play with in 1/8" 1080, or something else I come up with.

I love using a power grinder!

-Xander

I was very happy to see it weighing in under one! I bet it will be around 2 oz total with the sheath. Ti is cool stuff!

So.....Daniel....whatta you figger it'll weigh altogether....:confused:

.......if I manage to convince you.....;)

.......when you have time....:)

.......that your mission,should you choose to accept it......:cool:

...... is to make me a matching Ti marlinspike.....;)

.......and a matching Ti pry bar, with a chisel end? :p

.......a Ti Triad,is what I'm talking about.....:D

.....with a siamesed vertical three-layer kydex sheath....:thumbup:

What say ye,Daniel Fairly? :confused:

I'm thinking: what've I got to lose,by asking? :rolleyes: :foot: :rolleyes:

Chris Topher Colum Bus took a chance; look what he found! :p

Yes; I seriously want all three.:thumbup:

You daym betcha.

Has a cat got a climbing gear?

Has a snake got a low ass?

Does disco still suck?

Is sex still the only game that can't be cancelled because of darkness?

~Gnarly

oooo, marlin spike! I could use a new one, I lost mine overboard this year. Can you do an octagonal cross section? If you could do a Kydex sheath with a Ti J-lock shackle for the clip, that would be cool.

Gnar, you a sailor too?

-Xander

Tr

What say ye,Daniel Fairly? :confused:

I'm thinking: what've I got to lose,by asking? :rolleyes: :foot: :rolleyes:

Chris Topher Colum Bus took a chance; look what he found! :p

Yes; I seriously want all three.:thumbup:

You daym betcha.
Tt
Has a cat got a climbing gear?

Has a snake got a low ass?

Does disco still suck?

Is sex still the only game that can't be cancelled because of darkness?

~Gnarly
LMAO about the sex game;)

Right on mang:thumbup:
Thanks Veesix! :cool:

hey Daniel, how well does that 6/4 Ti hold up? I have some .040" thick I was thinking of using for an Altoids tin PSK knife. I would prefer to use a carbon or stainless, but it's what I have on hand and I just want to go back out in the garage and keep grinding! I have another 'dashi design I am going to play with in 1/8" 1080, or something else I come up with.

I love using a power grinder!

-Xander

That dashi came out sweet! I think the .040 would make a nice altoids tin knife, I have never worked with anything as thin as .040 but Ti is around twice as strong as steel yet weighs less than half as much. The .090 will make a decent pry bar! The edge holding is not as good as steel but I think the tradeoff in weight and strength is well worth it.

oooo, marlin spike! I could use a new one, I lost mine overboard this year. Can you do an octagonal cross section? If you could do a Kydex sheath with a Ti J-lock shackle for the clip, that would be cool.

Gnar, you a sailor too?

-Xander

No; I was a stagerigger for over 30 years,for Concert,TV,Theatre Production.Any decent rigger knows the worth of a 'spike! And anyone who owns a piece of line,needs one.JMO.
Yes,I sail,but I'm still learning!

LMAO about the sex game;)

Like B'rer Bill would say: Worst I ever had was pretty good at the time!

~Gnarly

I bet I can do something like that, let me see what I can do. I have considered prybars and marlinspikes so it would be cool to make some. We'll keep in touch!

lol at the end!

Back