Gnarly Wharncliffe

oooo, marlin spike! I could use a new one, I lost mine overboard this year. Can you do an octagonal cross section? If you could do a Kydex sheath with a Ti J-lock shackle for the clip, that would be cool.

Gnar, you a sailor too?

-Xander

I'm not too sure about the octagonal part but I bet I can come up with something cool! On the sheath I think I get it... it could clip on stuff for quick deployment.

Got a few Heathens just mystified about my new DFK Ti Wharnie....and matching DFK Ti 'bars & 'spikes would cause 'em to have an eyegasm.

I lived on a sail boat for a year or two and have hit just about every island between Grenada and St.Thomas. Yarrrrgggghhh.

The sun's past the yardarm.

I guarandaymtee it!

BTW,have you ever used lighterd? If you'd like,I'll put some in your package,outbound in the a.m.

Like from a pitch stump? I have some but it would be cool to try some from a different area. I have this one stump that smells like gasoline, it is great stuff! Thanks for sending me stuff, that is very cool. :D :D :D

I stuck 10-12' of Kelty Trip Tease in the box for your Lady to check out,too.

Just some odds & ends I thought you could use,in gratitude for you taking time to make me the Ti Wharnie!

I stuck 10-12' of Kelty Trip Tease in the box for your Lady to check out,too.

Just some odds & ends I thought you could use,in gratitude for you taking time to make me the Ti Wharnie!

Man that is really cool! You rock. My wife is excited about the line, thanks for the link, it looks like great stuff!

Hey thanks for waiting! I'm slow but I stay on it, thanks for being so patient

No worries.....just glad it's a reality!

I probably keep you guys wondering the way I'm all over the place with my work. :D I have a list, lol! I'm just getting started on ideas I had months ago, I like to really put a lot of thought in to what I do.

I figure I have about a dozen new orders, a bunch of older ones, a few ready for handles, a few that just need sheaths, one that needs photos, a whole box of older blades from when I started that need heat treating and finishing... 2 swords I just started and a couple of finished knives I am still waiting to send out. I am busy, it rocks!

I'm not too sure about the octagonal part but I bet I can come up with something cool! On the sheath I think I get it... it could clip on stuff for quick deployment.

Yeah a clip would be nice because I often wear a climbing harness when racing on bigger boats, so if I didn't have to wear a second belt just to hold my knife spike combo would be cool. Also for when conditions change and I have to add or remove layers so quick on/off is beneficial. I may have an extra shackle kicking around, don't want you to have to hunt down a shackle that costs more than your first car. I will be in touch with you about my little psk knife idea, it is right up your alley.

-Xander

Yeah a clip would be nice because I often wear a climbing harness when racing on bigger boats, so if I didn't have to wear a second belt just to hold my knife spike combo would be cool. Also for when conditions change and I have to add or remove layers so quick on/off is beneficial. I may have an extra shackle kicking around, don't want you to have to hunt down a shackle that costs more than your first car. I will be in touch with you about my little psk knife idea, it is right up your alley.

-Xander

Sounds great, we'll keep in touch.

My wife did some crew work on this boat, it is a cool one. She has been all the way up the mast on this one! At 184 feet the mast is the tallest carbon spar in the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velsheda_(yacht)

Last edited:
Daniel,

Your Gnarly Care Package :eek: went out today,by priority mail; should be there Thurs. or Friday.

Thanx! for taking me seriously,when I started hounding you to make me a DFK Ti Wharnie....and for patience with all the emails &
questions.

I sent a Care Package to our friend KFU also,because he went thru the same ordeal,while making my Red Mallee Burl Wharnie.:D

I really appreciate your work.

~Gnarly

P.S. BTW: you might want to order more Ti! ;)

Daniel,

Your Gnarly Care Package :eek: went out today,by priority mail; should be there Thurs. or Friday.

Thanx! for taking me seriously,when I started hounding you to make me a DFK Ti Wharnie....and for patience with all the emails &
questions.

I sent a Care Package to our friend KFU also,because he went thru the same ordeal,while making my Red Mallee Burl Wharnie.:D

I really appreciate your work.

~Gnarly

P.S. BTW: you might want to order more Ti! ;)

Hey Thanks for putting up with my crap! :D

That Velsheda is one hell of a J-class. It's longer than the Northwestern!

She mostly helped out on the support boat but she did work on Velsheda! I have never seen a sloop with so much sail area!

Yep, that's a lot of real state hanging up there! Doing a headsail change on a 70 footer is enough to make me pass out at times, especially when the tactician calls for the #1 or heavy code zero, they weigh close to 300lbs each! I would not want to haul one of those big boys up that mast! Reminds me of a broken top mast I had to replace on a tall ship, two of us had to haul it up over 100'.

-X

Yep, that's a lot of real state hanging up there! Doing a headsail change on a 70 footer is enough to make me pass out at times, especially when the tactician calls for the #1 or heavy code zero, they weigh close to 300lbs each! I would not want to haul one of those big boys up that mast! Reminds me of a broken top mast I had to replace on a tall ship, two of us had to haul it up over 100'.

-X

I bet replacing that tall ship mast was nuts! They have some wild rigging. Sailing is a lot crazier than most people think.

Back