Good edc in 150 price range

Lots of great choices in this thread so far. Here’s one more. Benchmade Presidio 2 CF Elite. $124 brand new.
jYHwy0L.jpg
i3Zldqe.jpg

i8U1oSd.jpg

Be0ZoHy.jpg

uBnEO5Y.jpg

Np3uql0.jpg

3HwHtUi.jpg

PVxRVub.jpg

XTycULS.jpg

BM Grip, Bugout, 940, Spyderco Delica, PM3 and PM2 are all great all-time classics, they go without saying...I would also add in Brisa Enzo Birk 75, if you are into Scandi grind with great opening/closing action.
What is the model in the bottom pic. Like the look of that

What are you defining as an "upgrade"? Edge retention (kind of objective)? Materials and feel (much more subjective)?

The Stinger and you have actually have pretty good edge performance mated to a relatively thin BTE that really punch above what their pricing would suggest. Build quality on those is also quite good already.

These are great points. :thumbsup:

Going larger will give you some good differentiation from the two knives you already own, whether that's 3.5" (medium) or something in the 4" range.

If you want something with premium materials which will feel like a notch up from your current knives, Kizer has a ton of titanium frame locks for under $150 and their fit and finish is excellent. Definitely worth a look.

Folks have already mentioned the Griptilian and Para Military 2, but the Grip has a thick handle that you might not love if slimness is your jam (although it's a great knife). The PM2 might not be a steel upgrade at your price point, but it carries slim and nudges you up to a larger knife; fantastic ergos and fit and finish, too. Both of those have new-to-you locks -- Axis and compression, respectively -- which are a ton of fun to fidget with and use.

The Drop Keen is right at $150, has Ti/Ti handles and a great blade in a solid steel, and sits right at 3.5" blade length. Long wait from Drop (shipping time), but an excellent EDC choice.

These are great points. :thumbsup:

Going larger will give you some good differentiation from the two knives you already own, whether that's 3.5" (medium) or something in the 4" range.

If you want something with premium materials which will feel like a notch up from your current knives, Kizer has a ton of titanium frame locks for under $150 and their fit and finish is excellent. Definitely worth a look.

Folks have already mentioned the Griptilian and Para Military 2, but the Grip has a thick handle that you might not love if slimness is your jam (although it's a great knife). The PM2 might not be a steel upgrade at your price point, but it carries slim and nudges you up to a larger knife; fantastic ergos and fit and finish, too. Both of those have new-to-you locks -- Axis and compression, respectively -- which are a ton of fun to fidget with and use.

The Drop Keen is right at $150, has Ti/Ti handles and a great blade in a solid steel, and sits right at 3.5" blade length. Long wait from Drop (shipping time), but an excellent EDC choice.

I saw the keen. Very clean and simple look. Also I liked the look of the massdrop dao. I really like the lines and style of the we knives in general. Slim in pocket too.

Check Bladehq or amazon for closeout on ZT 0460. Incredibly thin and small but great knife. Also check for deals on ZT 0350 in that price range, though it's a chunk. Otherwise I'd agree that pm2 is a great knife. Yojimbo 2 is in that price range as well.

Thanks again for the information! Definitely would like a 3.5 inch blade perhaps in slim package

I want a knife that will actually cut. Many knives look cool, but in reality they do not cut well. When I want an EDC, I have to ask myself, "Do I want a big knife that has bragging rights, or do I want a slim knife that is easy to carry and really cuts stuff well?"

I want a knife that is easy to carry and actually cuts well. A Spyderco Chaparral and Delica are at the top of my list. If I want smaller, then the Dragonfly 2.

If the Chaparral I mentioned earlier does not float your boat, the Delica is available in a variety of handle and steel options, from Titanium to stabilized wood, Damascus to 204P, your choice. There are lots of color options, too.

Spyderco was going to be my first suggestion. The Efficient, Tenacious, and Persistence are all great, budget choices.

I doubt that s a slicer. That s for people who really hate hollow grinds.

Well, that would be me! It's flat ground, and the factory edge was about 45 degrees. Splitting maul territory. Some time with a 750 diamond plate and an adult beverage had that angle slimmed down considerably. It would even shave hair, when I got done.

Thanks again for the information! Definitely would like a 3.5 inch blade perhaps in slim package

The Cold Steel Code 4, then.

ZfNYl3b.jpg

I'd been carrying a custom G10 Grip almost exclusively.....until I got a Para 2. The difference isn't significant (to me), but the Para is thinner and weighs less.

I've ordered a Micarta Para 2 in Cru-Wear, and I think it's going to be an outstanding knife. At only $20 more than my standard Para 2, it seems like an obvious choice for anyone interested in trying out Micarta or Cru-Wear. I happen to be interested in both.

Back