Good useable chopping sword...

I've two banshee's, beat the hell out of both, still straight, they do like to rust, but that's no problem,grease 'um or flitz 'um, and I re handled one and wrapped the other with more leather, grips to thin, but .25 inch thick they can handle all kinds of work.

There is another Rodent Waki on the Busse for Sale forum, $400 and that includes an Okuden sheath. The sheath alone runs $120 new from Oku.

R.H Clark: Your right, but at the same time I kinda want to play with a sword. But that is a awesome golok!

Bryfry, gotcha and gotcha. Good info to know, didn't know that, and I can eliminate 5 possibilities right off due to the rat tail tang. I was wondering whether I should ask about that, but you beat me too it. :tup:

But DONT POST YOUR RODENT WAKI!!!! NO!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm trying not to spend 400... but whats the deal with the warranty? How many years does it last? And can you really chop vegetation (undergrowth, 1 inch soft wood saplings, bushes, etique) with it? No damage or increased wear? Ty.

Correct me if I am wrong but the warrenty is lifetime and I believe even covers intentional damage, you should be able to chop a tree down without any damage anyway though.

Correct me if I am wrong but the warrenty is lifetime and I believe even covers intentional damage, you should be able to chop a tree down without any damage anyway though.

i'm pretty sure it says "unintential damage", but (to me) that means you can't cut it in half, with a torch, then send it back. i seriously believe showing a video of it chopping down a tree then offering a "lifetime" warranty is basically saying "you're not going to break it, don't worry, but don't go out of your way to prove you can"

u can't go wong with a Waki, you'll use it forever then sell it for decent price. it's a win win, really.

Galen59, awesome to hear. I think a banshee will be what I'm getting now, due to funding.

Resinguy, huh.

And ok on the warranty Sbaker / Zignal Zero, I appreciate the info, but after the kayak I just got I'm not goign to be getting a rodent waki. Ty though.

Galen59, awesome to hear. I think a banshee will be what I'm getting now, due to funding.

Resinguy, huh.

And ok on the warranty Sbaker / Zignal Zero, I appreciate the info, but after the kayak I just got I'm not goign to be getting a rodent waki. Ty though.

That banshee and kayak sound like an awesome combination.

Glad to hear I'm not the only person here that has it out for the punkin's! :D

[youtube]gGuLnJaa7N0[/youtube]

This summer, I've been makin' do with watermelons.

Dude--is that the Windlass "viking hewing spear"? I love mine--it's like a gladius on a stick! :p I was lucky enough to come into possession of a long piece of teak that I carved into a shaft for it. I gave it an oval cross section so edge alignment was made easy.:thumbup:

Looks like a Cold Steel Long Assegai to me.

csstoreonline_2117_3088518

Looks like a Cold Steel Long Assegai to me.

csstoreonline_2117_3088518

Note the longer socket and absence of coating. I'm pretty sure it's the same as the one I have by Windlass Steelcrafts. Who knows, though--we could both be wrong! :D

561_1_.jpg

Could very well be.

Basically the same design.

I bet that pumpkin couldn't tell the difference!

Damn zombie pumpkins. . .;)

I'd like to suggest the Cold Steel Chinese War Sword. Very impressive. I saw a vid chopping two hog in half with one pass !

Last edited:
R.H Clark: Your right, but at the same time I kinda want to play with a sword. But that is a awesome golok!

Bryfry, gotcha and gotcha. Good info to know, didn't know that, and I can eliminate 5 possibilities right off due to the rat tail tang. I was wondering whether I should ask about that, but you beat me too it. :tup:

But DONT POST YOUR RODENT WAKI!!!! NO!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm trying not to spend 400... but whats the deal with the warranty? How many years does it last? And can you really chop vegetation (undergrowth, 1 inch soft wood saplings, bushes, etique) with it? No damage or increased wear? Ty.

The warranty? Far as I know, it just goes on and on.

I've been using, abusing, and re-using the Busse-kin swords for years now (AK-47, Ruck, SR Waki). Yes -- they will chop all those things you mention without damage or increased wear, provided you avoid slamming the edge into the ground (rocks) or unfortunate substances (nails, very heavy metal wire). My mistakes have, to date, only yielded some dents (turned edges) that steeled out ... haven't been able to chip an edge yet. Of course, it's just been 4 years.:)

Last fall, I literally laid waste to a small forest of heavy bamboo with the Waki. No dings, nicks, or chips ... just used a leather strop on the edge when I was done. Busse-kin blades are tough.

I believe there have been lots of threads and posts about these particular swords on BF. Shouldn't be hard to do a bit of research and learn more.

I would say that if you're most interested in efficiently cutting undergrowth and very small limbs you'd be better off with a golok (as previously mentioned), a parang, or something similar. And nothing beats a classic machete for bush-cutting in, for example, Central America.

I'd like to suggest the Cold Steel Chinese War Sword. Very impressive. I saw a vid chopping two hog in half with one pass !

CAS Hanwei just came out with an improved version of theirs that I'd trust even more than the CS piece and it costs a lot less! Looks a lot more like a real one would, too. The ring pommel is even forged out of the tang!

SH2447.jpg

MSRP is only $165 :cool::thumbup:

If I were you I'd go for a Hanwei Tactical Wakizashi for $120 from Knifecenter. Or you could get one of their Practical Katanas for about $180. Cheaper, more machete-like options are Condor Golok or Parang machetes. Cold Steel two handed Panga/Katana/Kukri machetes are probably great value for the money if you want a cheap tough brush beater. This is assuming you don't want to spring for a Scrapizashi. (Ordered mine a couple days ago).

If I were you I'd go for a Hanwei Tactical Wakizashi for $120 from Knifecenter. Or you could get one of their Practical Katanas for about $180. Cheaper, more machete-like options are Condor Golok or Parang machetes. Cold Steel two handed Panga/Katana/Kukri machetes are probably great value for the money if you want a cheap tough brush beater. This is assuming you don't want to spring for a Scrapizashi. (Ordered mine a couple days ago).

As a warning the CS Two-Handed Katana Machete functions well neither as a sword nor a machete. It moves really fast but without force if held like a katana because it balances only an inch or two forward of the guard. If held at the end of the handle to shift the mass forward the back-set positioning of the center of percussion causes pretty terrible shock transfer. It's fun as a looker, but they really missed the mark when it came to making something that actually works. Needs more blade, less handle, and maybe thicker blade stock to offset the weight of that large a chunk of polypropylene. :(

Crud. Been away from this thread for too long, so if I don't answer everyones post I apologize.

Elsitherino: It would be awesome, but paddling takes two hands or the kayak veers. :( Unless I build up a ton of speed, and stop paddling and hit a target while gliding. Hmmm.

Clayton C: Huh. I'll look into it, but the Kris Cutlery or Hanwei version is cheaper. Ty.

Fortytwoblades: Nailed it. But didn't know about the tang. Awesome! And I found it for 85! :) Except its backordered. :(
By the way. Is that ring for the whole ribbon thing the chiness did?

Diamond Dog Dave: I was looking at there wakizashi, but its still on preorder on the sites I've checked. And I was looking at there katana's, but the sheer amount on the market gave me a head ache... And ok on the machettes. And just out of curiosity, where exactly is the scrapizashi link? Trying to research but can't find it...

Fortytwoblades: Awesome info. But what if you were to cut the handle off 1/3 of the way from the pommel (i know it doesn't have one, but just naming to get the place). Would it work then? Ty.

Ty people.

not positive, but a friend says Kult of Athena has 'em for 99bux :)

If you cut off a bit of the handle it would probably be ok. I just need to do it to find out.

Dude--is that the Windlass "viking hewing spear"? I love mine--it's like a gladius on a stick! :p I was lucky enough to come into possession of a long piece of teak that I carved into a shaft for it. I gave it an oval cross section so edge alignment was made easy.:thumbup:

That is correct sir! my haft is not nearly as well crafted as yours I'm afraid. Just whittled a dowel to fit the socket. :eek:

WindlassHewingSpear20081128_sm.jpg

Sharpened it up on the belt grinder and later gave it a ferric chloride etch. Fun!

I got the CS dadao about 4 years ago, and I'll confess I haven't chopped anything with it yet. :(

Back