Good useable chopping sword...

on a second note can anyone suggest a truly abusable beatable hacking anything katana for 500.0$? all suggestions welcome but i am sincerely not trying to waste anyones time

Not a real katana by any means, but the Swamp Rat Rodent Waki can chop down trees and has a lifetime warranty. $390 with micarta scales. :thumbup:

Not a real katana by any means, but the Swamp Rat Rodent Waki can chop down trees and has a lifetime warranty. $390 with micarta scales. :thumbup:

Look, all of the Busse products are great, but the only thing about them that is "katana like" is the name. They are as close to a katana as the motorcycle by the same name.

What the Busse family of "swords" are is machetes on steroids, with long handles.

I would like to own one, but would and could not compete with it at a JSA tournament.

on a second note can anyone suggest a beatable hacking anything katana for 500.0$? all suggestions welcome but i am sincerely not trying to waste anyones time

"Hacking", "truly abusable" and "katana" are all sort of exclusive terms.....Hacking=Busse all the way and same for truly abusable....but true "katana" construction EXCLUDES the other two. IF the blades will take something which they were not designed for, the handles will not.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

The blade stock is somewhat thin on the Banshee........have you found it to be pretty durable?

Very durable, the thickness is just right for the heavier chopping I use it for; the leader wrapping on the handle is not that durable. I rewrapped mine whit some black grip tape. The blade will rust if not oiled, but other than that it is very good tool, and a very good price. :)

STeven, we're on the same page. I know that the Bussekin SLO are not anything like the real deal. That's why I said "Not a real katana by any means". Pretty clear, no?

But as valentino asked for a "truly abusable beatable hacking anything" tool under $500, then my recommendation is sound. Some guys just want to have fun, and the "machetes on steroids, with long handles" fits the bill. (Although, they are not really good as machetes, the blade profile is too blunt)

I actually just got my CPM-3V koshitana/machete back from heat treating and cleaned up. I'm still hemming and hawing about how I want to do the handle. I've got a quick and dirty paracord wrapped handle on it right now. Part of me wants to do micarta or peel-ply carbon fiber; but another part of me wants to use the thing as the first large-scale implementation of a 'neo-katana' handle type I've been tinkering with -- a steel wire and structural aerospace epoxy tsuka, overlaid with wing-walk material and Kevlar cord...

The third little voice sounds a lot like my advisor -- and it's telling me to forget about knife making for the next nine months so I can hammer out my dissertation proposal; get a rid of the thing before I waste a week fiddling with poisons in an Israeli issue surplus gas mask...

I'm a gonna' post pictures after class...

Lasher Tools in South Africa produces them. I have a two-handed panga and it's pretty decent, though I had to sand the polypropylene a little to eliminate the blister-inducing texturing. It's thicker stock than their standard panga, too. I prefer other brands for machetes (Condor/Imacasa, Hansa, Martindale, Collins, etc.) but the Lashers aren't slouchers by any standard. :)

012010od_JungleKnife03.jpg

I saw this thing on the gear scout site. It’s a prototype jungle knife from Winkler knives II. I want one!!

R.H Clark: Your right, but at the same time I kinda want to play with a sword. But that is a awesome golok!

Bryfry, gotcha and gotcha. Good info to know, didn't know that, and I can eliminate 5 possibilities right off due to the rat tail tang. I was wondering whether I should ask about that, but you beat me too it. :tup:

But DONT POST YOUR RODENT WAKI!!!! NO!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm trying not to spend 400... but whats the deal with the warranty? How many years does it last? And can you really chop vegetation (undergrowth, 1 inch soft wood saplings, bushes, etique) with it? No damage or increased wear? Ty.

The warranty on the SwampRat's is forever. You can buy one that some one else beat the hell out of and use it, then give it to your cousin Jeb, who could trade it for a mule, to some one living in a swamp hunting gaters. that guy could get it replaced under warranty. No worries.

But if you don't want to spend $400 take a look at the Scrapyard Waki (Busse, Scrapyard and Swamprat are all three "family" companies. Run out of the same shop, with different family members running them. All have the same warranty, and the best heat treat on their steels you will find anywhere).

The Scrapyard waki will run you about 1/2 the price as the Swamprat waki, and is every bit as tough. The destruction tests on that thing are amazing (it uses modified S7 which is a jack hammer steel, Scrapyard calls theirs sr77).

What ever you do, though, don't look at the Busse AK47 or the Ruck. Both awesome swords, but they are made out of Infi steel, and are 2x + more expensive than the Swamprat (which uses Sr101 which is modified 51200). Not that you would not be happy with them, just your bank account won't.

The AK's and Rucks go in the 800-900 range (but there are better deals to be found if you wait around on the Busse exchange here).

I believe you can order the Scrapyard waki for $200 bones right now direct from them, with no after market mark up. The website is Scrapyardknives.com

Last edited:
Back