Recommendation? Good Wood?

I have been in contact Novawood and they wouldn't offer stabilization service below 500 euro.

I haven't been able to found someone who offers stabilization and would confirm they also do pressurizing method.
Novacure is the liquid, for DIY stabilization, it is manufactured by Nova.
I am waiting to hear back from the stabilizing company to see what their process and liquid is. They may not be in work until tomorrow.

"holz stabilisieren lassen"
That's German for getting wood stabilised. If you google it you'll find a company that offers services, including small amounts.
Their site claims that they first use vacum, then over pressure

"holz stabilisieren lassen"
That's German for getting wood stabilised. If you google it you'll find a company that offers services, including small amounts.
Their site claims that they first use vacum, then over pressure
Anyone uses them? I was also in contact with them and figured that its quite expensive per blank. But if the quality is right..

Last edited:
Hi all,
chap in UK has replied and says he uses cactus juice an works out $11 per blank, the wood cost me nothing so 11 does not set off alarm bells, but whats this catus juice, will it be as good as the novacure which is vacuum and then 5hr oven cycle.
At this stage they are only for me so 10 could last a lifetime.

Any opinions ?

Way Barney cactus juice is basically the same thing. It requires a number of hours under vacuum depending on the size of the wood blanks and for your blanks probably a good 4 or 5 hours in the oven. The larger the pieces the more time it needs as the internal temperature of the wood needs to fully reach 200 degrees Fahrenheit to cure. The oven is set at 200 so it takes some time. Some folks "bake" their blocks overnight.

Eric

Cactus juice is a DIY wood stabilizing product.

I don't have any experience using it, so I can't say if it's good or bad. Lots of folks swear it's great and lots of folks say it's sub-par...

Way Barney cactus juice is basically the same thing. It requires a number of hours under vacuum depending on the size of the wood blanks and for your blanks probably a good 4 or 5 hours in the oven. The larger the pieces the more time it needs as the internal temperature of the wood needs to fully reach 200 degrees Fahrenheit to cure. The oven is set at 200 so it takes some time. Some folks "bake" their blocks overnight.

Eric

Cactus juice is a DIY wood stabilizing product.

I don't have any experience using it, so I can't say if it's good or bad. Lots of folks swear it's great and lots of folks say it's sub-par...

Thanks guys, is cactus juice 2 pack? the nova has an activator to mix with resin.

Many woodworking sites sell the whole home-stabilizing setup. Vac/pressure tank, stabilizing juice, etc. Over here it is places like Woodcraft, Rockler, Penn State, etc. Don't know who in the UK sells the setups. I checked Workshop Heaven, and they don't have it. The place you found the Cactus Juice is probably the best place to look or ask.

Cactus juice is the most popular home stabilizing resin. It won't do what K&G does, but for a simple home job it works fine. Vacuum the wood for a long time past when you think it is ready.

A pressure tank is great if you have one. Many folks get a pressure pot for paint spraying and convert it for stabilizing for vacuum as well as pressure. They run from $60 to $200USD. Places like Harbor Freight and Northern Tool are where we get them cheap here.

Cactus juice is a single liquid. Check out their site, it should have all the info you need:

Eric
The qt size is a single liquid, the half gallon and larger sizes are two part with a catalyst to add to the resin. Go to the TurnTex site, select "Products", then "Cactus Juice Stabilizing Resin and Dyes" to see the difference sizes.

The qt size is a single liquid, the half gallon and larger sizes are two part with a catalyst to add to the resin. Go to the TurnTex site, select "Products", then "Cactus Juice Stabilizing Resin and Dyes" to see the difference sizes.

Ken thanks for the clarification, I'd only seen the quart size, good to know! I edited my post accordingly.

Eric

Back