Got My First Becker! A BK2!

norcalmtn and dl351, both knives look great what did you use to strip the coating?
I didn't want to use poisonous chemicals so I used sandpaper. Started with 220 wet/dry for the majority of the epoxy removal and then went to 400 and 600. I did a small amount of file touch up on the edges. There were some fairly significant grind marks on the edge of the knife along the top of the blade and around the handle that were covered by the epoxy. You need to be careful not to remove too much metal or the grip panels will end up too big.

I used some Blix (?) stripper. I don't know if it's weak or if Becker knives just have strong coatings, but the stripper, which claims to even strip epoxy, seemed to only soften the coating. I've used Jasco paint and epoxy stripper on other knives and it caused the soatings to bubble and scrape right off. If I were to do it again, I'd try the Jasco stuff.

hard users:

K/BK2 & K/BK9:

K/BK2: stripped coating, slathered in machine oil, used in the wet, put away wet, choppy choppy, stabby stabby pry stump killer. The K/BK9 is my all round go to blade for the woods, for everything. It too is stripped and slathered in machine oil, used hard and put away wet.

top to bottom: K/BK9, BK7 (traded), BK7 with green micarta slabs, K/BK2, BK11
b39f85d1.jpg

soon i will have a custom sheath that will carry the BK9, BK7, BK2 and the BK11, in a nice compact shoulder rig package.

Back