Gov-Tac solid or not?

Well, after a bit of thinking in regards to what BubbaGanew has added to this thread, I state again, as long as the weld is done right and annealed, the weld should not be a weak point. If I really got the itch to do the stacked leather handle, I probably still would purchase a gov-tac. If I really wanted to beat on a knife, the gov-tac wouldn't be my first choice regardless of tang design. I have my share of "heavy duty" knives (Scrapyard and Ranger) that I can use for that. Heck, I'm sure my Seal 2000 could take anything I could or would ever throw at it. I guess there's my SOG Tech II, but that knife is pretty much brand new and far to pretty for me to use right now. Anyway,my opinion of the original SOG Government, as well as the Gov-tac has been that they look like good all around use camp knives, not heavy use door breaching knives. Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

What can i say on that...my love for knives is a mental problem i will always find an imperfection on any knife...and the most usefull knife for modern people is a butterknife.I really love the Gov-Tac look the design,so i would like a full tang...anyway the only way to see myself satisfied is a custom knife :D

I have a Gov-Tac. Doesn't seem like a bad knife. I don't like the sheath. In fact, I find it a little dangerous. Gotta be careful putting that knife in and out of the sheath.

I dont like sog's kydex sheath ,and their patent pending too.and for the Gov-Tac construction (design) I thing they haved change it since 2005...On www.sogknives.com we can see a picture of a gov-tac (Bead blasted)Pommel and the pommel look to be (skrew)this gov-tac have a kind of skrew to hold the pommel in place,in 2005 gov-tac haved not the same...(lock)system.what do you know about that?

I dont like sog's kydex sheath ,and their patent pending too.and for the Gov-Tac construction (design) I thing they haved change it since 2005...On www.sogknives.com we can see a picture of a gov-tac (Bead blasted)Pommel and the pommel look to be (skrew)this gov-tac have a kind of skrew to hold the pommel in place,in 2005 gov-tac haved not the same...(lock)system.what do you know about that?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23562226@N04/

BubbaGanew why do you think the tang is showing on a gov-tac and not on another ?The tang haved probably change a little bit?

BubbaGanew why do you think the tang is showing on a gov-tac and not on another ?The tang haved probably change a little bit?

I don't know exactly why. What I was showing in pictures and what you were describing is why two Gov-Tacs would have different fasteners for their pommels. But exactly why is something Chris@SOG would have to answer. All I can say is that it was observant of you to notice.

thanks BubbaGanew! of course i would like an answer from Christ@SOG for this question.

Did the 2005 one have a lanyard hole? The flat fastener is very similar to how the older Governments are done, and they don't have a thong hole. Just a guess.

Sorry I have been absent from this for a bit. SHOT show really got me this year. I seemed to come down with something like the flu and have just now getting back to 100%. Not there yet but getting closer.

It looks like the Gov-Tac in question is one of the first production ones and we have since corrected production. We had a batch at the very beginning of producing those knives (about 3 years ago) that were manufactured incorrectly. We caught as many as we could but some did get out.

As a part of correcting the tang problem we redesigned the pommel and fastener. This is the reason for the two different designs.

It seems the knife in question here is one that got out. What I would ask is that if you are not happy with it please send it in and we will replace it with the current version for you.

thanks for your answer but how is the tang in the current version ?and how can i be sure that the gov-tac i will buy is the current version?whit the fastener show on SOGKNIVES.COM?

I can not guarantee anything other than what is coming out of the factory here. But do keep in mind that this was changed about 3+ years ago and I would guess all of those have either been returned to SOG or are out in the world owned by someone. So if you are buying from a reputable dealer you should be fine.

Back