Gov-Tac solid or not?

Yeah, I was wondering if the new version is welded or not, too. I'm glad Chris is back to answer questions.

And for the last generation of Government agent how is the tang? welded or full under kraton?

The current tang is full and not welded. It looks similar to the image posted earlier in the thread. I don't have a Gov-Tac tang that I can get a picture of right now but it is very close to that same design.

It is almost identical to that picture. As I mentioned I don't have on here with out the handle that I can take a picture of but all of our knife tangs are designed in the same manner. The biggest difference is fastener that is used to hold the pommel in place.

ok thanks a lot Chris@SOG so i cant understand why a welded tang on the first Gov-Tac has been issued....but SOG seems to have learn from that error.

It was never supposed to be that way. That is why we made sure to replace all the incorrect ones we could find.

Cool deal, Chris. The welded tang made me lose some faith in SOG, but now that I know this was not the correct design and that it has been fixed, my faith is restored! There still may be a Gov-tac in my future with a rehandle in store!

Hi everyone, im kinda new to Bladeforums..

I've read through the whole of this thread and I'm still confused:

The SOG website shows the Gov Tac with a normal screw type (-) fastening in the pommel so I would assume that it would be the current design and also the ones currently being sold.

The other type which is the 'lock'?, the one that looks like this : -0-
I would again assume that this is the older design that has been replaced/redesigned 3 years ago.

What I don't get is that wouldn't the 'lock' -0- type fastener be better
than the simple screw (-) type as the tang would be showing as BubbaGanew's photos show, suggesting that it is full and maybe stronger.

Would it not make it harder for someone to undo it as it may require some special tool - whether this is good or bad I don't really know.

I also don't get the point of redesigning the method of fastening the tang just because the first one's were not made/welded properly.

Or could it just be Ockham's Razor..... (for you philosophers out there)

Tim Tsang

I will buy some Gov-Tac to put pictures of their tangs here.I have enough money i dont care about 1000$ or 2000$ i will buy it from maybe 5 or 6 sellers and i will remove the handle of each one,i will buy some black and some bead blasted..We will see the truth.I believe Chis@SOG so its simple to make an end to the tang story....... I will also buy a government agent from the 90s and anothe from 2000 years and i will do the same.I will give you some news soon of that;)

Back