"Grail" Multitools?

Personally, I've only needed my multi tools and SAK for non cutting tasks because I don't want to damage the blade (I EDC a Letherman Wave, Gerber Mini Multitool, and a Wegner Esquire). If need be I would only use the blades as a backup because at a minimum I EDC both a serrated and plain edged knife (Spiderco Delica 4 Emerson Wave and my Benchmade Griptillian combo edge).

To answer a variation of the question, I often get asked about my Wegner a lot because it's uncommon to see a flashlight on a Swiss Army knife. Also, I no longer EDC my Streamlight Micro on my keychain because it's faster to use the one on my SAK. I now keep my Micro in my Altoids survival tin (see profile for video).

I like the fact that there are better steel options out there for SAK and multi tools but any steel can get dinged up and I'd rather not take that chance on my Leatherman's blades. I know that buying quality knives cost more than some Leatherman's but I'm not willing to replace a multi tool because one tool is dinged up where as I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new knife. :) Plus, I feel a lot more comfortable cutting and prying with a knife than with a multi tool or SAK. Just my personal preference.

I don't have any qualms at all about using the blades on a Leatherman. I've chipped, snapped, bent and abused them plenty of times and when the blade is in worse condition than I'd prefer, I just take it to the Leatherman store and get the entire tool swapped out for a new one. It's seriously that easy. No waiting for repairs, and it doesn't matter whether it's wear-and-tear or misuse, each time, new tool in my hand in less than a minute. They just grab one off the shelf and hand it to me.

photobucket-1655-1369622870992_zps61a220a2.jpg

photobucket-3025-1369622869284_zps26d10ff6.jpg

photobucket-30529-1369622869792_zps935dc1db.jpg

Back