Great Cutlery Regions

So let's go with a positive slant on regions...

What are the great cutlery regions of the world? And no, as much as I like Spyderco, I don't mean just a factory like Golden Colorado. :D But the real regions known for their cutlery traditions, even if their glory days have passed.

- Sheffield
- Solingen
- Seki City
- Maniago
- Tiers
- New York maybe?

Where else?

Last edited:
I feel like the U.S. Pacific Northwest deserves to be on that list, it's a hub of modern production knifemaking. Benchmade, Gerber, KAI (ZT/Kershaw), CRKT and Leatherman are all in Oregon, SOG is in Washington, and Chris Reeve knives is in Idaho (along with a few others I believe).

It's not quite a place with a long tradition, but in a few generations it may be known as one, since many of the largest U.S. based knife companies are headquartered there.

Last edited:
I feel like the U.S. Pacific Northwest deserves to be on that list, it's a hub of modern production knifemaking. Benchmade, Gerber, KAI (ZT/Kershaw), CRKT and Leatherman are all in Oregon, SOG is in Washington, and Chriss Reeve knives is in Idaho (along with a few others I believe).

It's not quite a place with a long tradition, but in a few generations it may be known as one, since many of the largest U.S. based knife companies are headquartered there.

Interesting observation. I'm in the PNW and didn't consider it. :D

Pennsylvania - Case in Bradford, GEC in Titusville, also Queen/Schatt Morgan in Titusville prior to bankruptcy.

And just over the border from Case in Bradford is Alcas which owns KaBar and Cutco knives in Olean NY. In the past there was also Cattaraugus Cutlery as well. Just north of Olean is Franklinville where Ontario knives are made.

Damascus, Syria at one point in time. Probably not so much anymore!!!
Sardinia too. Famous for the pattada or resolza style!
Spain too, the navaja!
India's wootz steel

Quite a few knife companies out of North Carolina seems like as well. Winkler, Spartan, and Microtech if I'm not mistaken.
Seems like a lot of custom makers in the smoky mountain/ Appalachian part of the U.S.
Mentioned already, but definitely the Pacific Northwest with all the companies and custom makers out of that region.
Honestly seems like a lot of the U.S. likes knives almost as much as guns with heavy hitters and known names coming from just about every region of the U.S.A.

I would say Ibach, since it started 130+ years ago and the volume of Victorinox nowadays still remains really highest, definitely worthy to put on the map.

Last edited:
I feel like the U.S. Pacific Northwest deserves to be on that list, it's a hub of modern production knifemaking. Benchmade, Gerber, KAI (ZT/Kershaw), CRKT and Leatherman are all in Oregon, SOG is in Washington, and Chris Reeve knives is in Idaho (along with a few others I believe).

Good observation, Buck is in Idaho too.

I cannot remember the name from a post I read, but there is one in Portugal that was mentioned as a knife making center.

Some of the historical knife towns in Europe

Solingen, Germany
Albacete, Spain
Maniago, Italy
Thiers, France

Back