1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Great Cutlery Regions

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Eli Chaps, Oct 30, 2020.

1. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Search this:

Today, Fremont, OH is known as “The Cutlery Capital of the World

So now we know the center of all knife creation.

2. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    From the top of my head :
    - France : Thiers, Nontron and Nogent. Today, there are again Laguiole knives produced in and around the village of Laguiole (Forge de Laguiole, Honoré Durand, Laguiole en Aubrac).
    - Italy : Maniago
    - Spain : Toledo and Albacete
    - Germany : Solingen
    - UK : Sheffield
    - Sweden : Östnor (Mora) and Eskilstuna [EKA and Holmberg, Engström & Segerström (barrel knives)]
    - Russia : Zlatoust (A&R)

Eli Chaps likes this.
  3. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Benedita, perhaps? I think JERO and ICEL are made there.

Here's a cool old pic of the knife sellers at the railroad station in Albacete, Spain:

[​IMG]

Llasi and Eli Chaps like this.
  4. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Some Japanese cities/regions: Takefu , Seki, Sakai, Tosa, Sanjo City

5. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    The interesting thing about Tosa, Japan is they set up a communal forging center.
    Traditional blacksmithing is declining in Japan. Rather than having an apprentice learn from on master, in this center there are several master smiths. Ideas and expertise can be shared with the new generation.
    There is another prefecture in Japan copying this idea, so it must be doing well.

USMCPOP and Eli Chaps like this.
  6. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Not the communal forge you mentioned but a real nice video of Japanese master blacksmith that was in my recommended feed this morning:

7. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    The northeast definitely has a rich cutlery tradition as was already stated above. Also, I agree the Portland area is a no brainer for that list.

Golden may only have Spyderco, but look at the impact Spyderco has had on the whole industry. Talk about a giant.

What about El Salvador, Colombia or Brazil for machetes? Lots of good blades from those areas.

Eli Chaps likes this.
  8. Legendary_Jarl

Legendary_Jarl

Feb 8, 2010
    Mexico:
    Sayula, Jalisco
    Oaxaca

Spain:
    Albacete
    Toledo(I don't think any major manufacturers are producing here anymore).