"Greatest generation "

Today I read the Daytona Beach News-Journal [read urinal ] & failed to see any mention of " D-day " at Normandy.
Lived by the radio all day,making an occasional sandwich & drinking 12 0z. Pepsi.We had no biased reporting back then,no Cronkites ,Geraldos or Rathers. We did have Edward R. Murrow,Ernie Pyle & a lot of other on the ground newsmen.
Imagine being anyone involved in that invasion. Virtually no real rest for over 72 hours,quarantined on a pier or in a ship's hold ,waiting for an invasion that your chances of surviving the first day were close to zero !
The weather was extremely bad . T he forecasters had been mistaken & now it was time to move on or forget it for at least another month.The statistics elude me BUT this was the largest military endeavor to date .
Men and material had been amassed in England since we [the Allies ] had almost crippled Hitler's Uboat fleet in 1943. Troops had been training for over a year . Ruses abounded. There were phantom armies throughout England.Inflatable fake tanks,airplanes,supply dumps & oil storage tanks were all over areas likely to be observed by Greman overflights.
Patton [somewhat in disgrace at that moment ] commanded a paper division.
Wet-net training was halted when a practice became a disaster off England's coast,hundreds lost. Evidently the percentages lay in just going ahead & take your losses on the beach.
One of Germany's most audacious,brillant generals,Erwin Rommel [Desert Fox ] had fallen from favor & was reduced to the lowly job of defending the "Atlantic Wall ". Actually it was a great decision,had Hitler released his reserves when Rommel asked we might have been slaughtered on those beaches.
A slight weather break occured & it went from iffy to go. Imagine what kind of physical & mental condition our men were in.Countless were seasick. The Peter boats [Lcvp-- landing craft-vehicle-personell ] were filled with retching troops. Entire beaches were missed,wrong place landings,botched schedules were common.
The beaches were partially clear but some landing craft grounded 300 yards from the beach,making the troops targets from the Mauser rifle on up to those wicked '88's.
Fox & Pathe news later showed the first waves staggering ashore overloaded with gear,dragging their dead & wounded ashore under withering fire. Only when they reached the cliffs were they afforded any bit of shelter. At one point,General Marsharr was about to order a withdrawl but soon realized we would lose even more men & equipment. Tenacious troops held on & finally succeeded .

Out "greatest generation's " sacrifices ignored.....For shame !

So,our far left newspaper chose to ignore this moment in history,instead they focused on sorcery & the 666 fetish.

Uncle Alan

While normally, it seems like the years that mark 5 and ten year marks, traditionally get more attention, you are very right, even an off year like a 62nd should have been mentioned.

Well, we'll sure do it here!

To all who hit the beaches, you are not forgotten!

So,our far left newspaper chose to ignore this moment in history,instead they focused on sorcery & the 666 fetish.

Isn't it typical though ? I guess the papers etc print what they think folks are interested in , now I may be in the minority here but today's numerical date mean nothing to me , for me today is Tuesday and I have to drive to Modesto to work , tommorrow is Wednesday and so forth. The papers and much of what they find interesting , does not interest me in the least.
When I think of sorcery , I think of this http://www.jigsawjungle.com/images/buffalo/sorcapp.jpg
and three six's are 18.
Which is a damn fine year for Scotch.:D

To all who hit the beaches, you are not forgotten!

Mega Dittos ! :thumbup:

A HUGE thank you to all the guys who hit the beaches to keep the world a freer place. Your sacrifices have not gone unnoticed by all!

AJ

Instead, people are wrought up because the date is 06/06/06, or 666. Good heavens.

The thing that strikes me about these people who participated in that awe-inspiring event is that they were just ordinary guys doing extraordinary things. These guys were bakers, tailors, school teachers, or from any other walk of life and they were called upon to participate in events of historical proportions - indeed they changed the course of history. I stand in awe at what they did.

We shouldn't be surprised. The media need the space/time to describe the day's celebrety hookups and breakups. TV and newspapers have all turned into People magazine clones. I am sorry to say it, but nobody on the Omaha, Utah, Juno, or Sword beaches in 1944 has a hot enough body to be featured on any of the mass media today.

Now, I don't have a hot enough body my own self, but my memory still works for the time being--and I remember that date, and what was gained, and at what cost--and honor those that served there.

uncle Alan said:
Today I read the Daytona Beach News-Journal [read urinal ] & failed to see any mention of " D-day " at Normandy?????...

... I Lived by the radio all day,making an occasional sandwich & drinking 12 0z. Pepsi

... We had no biased reporting back then,no Cronkites ,Geraldos or Rathers.

... We did have Edward R. Murrow,Ernie Pyle & a lot of other on the ground newsmen....

Imagine being anyone involved in that invasion....

Out "greatest generation's " sacrifices ignored.....For shame !

So,our far left newspaper chose to ignore this moment in history,instead they focused on sorcery & the 666 fetish... :jerkit: :thumbdn:

Uncle Alan

Alan,

Well Said my FRIEND!..

This is so very typical of the far left, isn't it?..

God Bless US ALL,,

For all THERE SACRIFICES!!

My mothers father fought in the Pacific with the Marines, my fathers father couldn't fight because of a medical condition, but he helped out back in the states. Both of my grandmothers were Rosie Riveters, and my fathers mothers mother and my mothers mothers mother were Rosie Riveters. My great uncle was in the Navy on D Day, we talked about D Day after Saving Private Ryan came out. I don't consider it cowardly to get teary about such things, but my grandfathers and great uncles generation did, it was very sobering listening to my great uncle talk about his buddies going over the side into the landing boats that morning, and being brought back in bags that night.

Thank you veterans, who read this, those who are still alive and will never read this, and those who gave all.

I'm currently reading a book titled "The Jedburghs"; which details the undercover operation by the French, British and American special forces to hinder the German Military from reinforcing the Western Front and their preparation for the allied invasion a.k.a. D-Day.

God bless them all, wherever they are.:thumbup:

For those that hit the beaches,those at Pearl Harbor,those that found themselves in any theater of the war.
You are not forgotten!

Doug:)

My Grandfather was a medic on that day..Utah beach Dog Red sector. He sent home these pictures. I was privileged to be able to receive from my family his photos. Bronze Star. Unit citations, and memorabilia. Which he shoved in a box and never looked at again.

He never spoke of that day. Except once when he told me that the beaches were filled with bodies and the water ran red. There were so many bodies floating in the water that for the rest of his life my grandfather was never able to look at a yellow life jacket.

He told me only one story. When they landed and his " duck" opened that as they were wading ashore he asked the man next to him if it had started raining. the man replied " no those are bullets" and he dropped dead from a hit to the chest. My grandfather lay on the beach for hours..watching the carnage..pinned down by machine gun fire..88 rounds landing on the beach..he told me at that moment he noticed a small bird sitting in a scrub bush singing his little heart out..my Grandpa told me that his only thought was..

"does that bird not know what is going on?? here we are killing each other and he is sitting there singing...this is insane.."

thats all he ever told me..it sends chills down my spine..

some of my Grandpas pictures

normandyddayplusone.jpg

destroyedgermanfortifications.jpg

destroyedgermanfieldgun.jpg

My Great-uncle jumped into Normandy on the evening of the 5th- 517 PIR. Picked up a Silver Star (which I would love to see the citation for), a Bronze and two campaign ribbons, with jumps into Normandy, Holland and Germany itself. Helluva man, and the kind of courage that is rare these days.

On the other side, my grandfather flew B-17s and was over Palermo on the 6th.

Good work, gentlemen. You'll never be forgotten.

I have to give credit, my local ABC affiliate WSIL-TV3 jsut ran a very nice story for the 62nd anniversary, even interviewed a local man that was there.

At least some media care!

Just checked a copy of today's Chicago Tribune.... NOT ONE MENTION of the sacrifices made 42 years ago today.:mad:

Uncle Alan, that should not have gone un-noticed and thanks to you we know it now. God bless them all.

My dad was a (T/SGT)medic that went in on D-Day. He was hit in the head by 88 shrapnel 7 days in while tending to a wounded soldier (paralized for 6 months...gas gangreen on the brain, but worked himself back to normal function and worked 50hr/week the rest of his life). The mention of 'Saving Private Ryan' remined me: At the end of the movie, the camera pans to the grave marker of Hanks character...date of death 13JUN. My dad was hit on 13JUN...the first time I watched the movie was 13JUN. Gave me the willies....my dad never wanted to talk about D-Day...just shrugged his shoulders when I mentioned the coincidence. Rekon it really did not mean much to a guy that hit the beaches. My thanks to all!

leatherbird said:
For those that hit the beaches,those at Pearl Harbor,those that found themselves in any theater of the war.
You are not forgotten!

Doug:)

My uncle was at Pearl when it was attacked. He had about 10 days to go on what they used to call a "majority tour" where you are discharged at 21 years of age (I think they have something similar now that is slangily called "kiddy cruise"). He re-upped and stayed for 27 more years, retiring as a Master Chief. He never attended any Pearl Harbor survivor reunions, considering it to be the low point of his entire career, but I'm sure that he and the other survivors appreciate it when people remember their sacrifices.

Around here (Albuquerque), they quit flying the flag at half-mast on Pearl Harbor Day the December after 9-11. I haven't noticed any significant press coverage of WWII in the last number of years...

It sure seems to me that there are those who want us to forget the deeds and people of the Greatest Generation so as to seperate us from our true American heritage.

Out of interest, when does one stop flying the flag at half -mast, to commemorate an event? When all survivors of the event have died or after a specified time?

Back