Green River giveaway!!!!!

Here it is, exclusive to bladeforums:
5234790383_16cbdc909e_z.jpg

It's the prototype that I used in the test video:
[youtube]c6fZqLst2hA[/youtube]

I'll just have to use my dogwood until the contest knife gets shipped back.

I cleaned it up a little but it's still got some ground in dirt in the handle.
It's sharp and ready to roll though.
You get the knife with an authentication sheet. Sorry, no sheath and no cool packaging on this one.

Rules:
Open to everyone but if you're OUT OF THE U.S.A. I ask that you'd pay $25.00 for shipping. If that's to high for you then I'm sorry.

One entry per person please. One plant or tree per entry also.
To enter:

Post in this thread YOUR experience with a plant or tree and what you've used it for.
DO NOT COPY A WIKI PAGE on the tree or plant and post it here. I'll know the difference, I'm slickitty that way.
Pictures and vids are allowed but not mandatory.

The winner:
Will be picked on or around (depends on how my schedule works out) Sunday December 12th 2010.
I'm not sure if I'll pick based on the coolest use of a tree or plant or if it will be random. It all depends on the entries.

Thanks and good luck!
Iz

Last edited:
EDITED WITH PICS I FOUND FINALLY

River birch!

I have used the flaky bark for fire starting fire transfer lighting a cigarette a candle a cigar. I made a few spoons all gifted out, out of a spalted fallen limb off of the same tree I get the bark from. I collected the bark and turned it into a trade commodity with a guy in the hard woods and got a package of some great miscellaneous items.

I have tested what I saw on a youtube video and made a fire using a green one and it worked! It has become my favorite tree it can and be used to make and do almost anything. I have grown to believe this is Gods tree and the perfect survival tree. If I was ever lost this would be the tree I would look forward to seeing.

The bark comes off like the bark that RangerJoe posted about (pin oak) in small flakes and contain oil that help it catch the spark and burn longer!

Here are the trees I use

PICT0857.jpg

PICT0859.jpg

One spoon I made
PICT0990.jpg

PICT0987.jpg

Here is the bark in the center of the nest I made from dead grass straw
IMG00122-20100131-1239.jpg

IMG00123-20100131-1243.jpg

and the tree the bark came from
IMG00126-20100131-1251.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the contest! I'll have to brainstorm about my entry. I hardly ever get good pictures of when I'm out so I'll see what I have.

Awesome give-away Iz, thanks for the chance buddy !

My favorite natural cordage are cedar roots and in this post I show you can even use them for a simple snare !

I know most people on here are used to making snares but I wondered if I could knock up a quick one using natural cordage.
What I like about this particular snare is that you don't even need a knife, I used mine because it was there but could easily have snapped all the branches instead !

Here is the snare all set, I didn't bother with noose placement as I had no intention of trying to catch anything, I just wanted to test the cordage:

pb080013.jpg

By pitdog2010 at 2010-11-08

Here is the trigger set up:

pb080014.jpg

The noose, nearly caught myself a Snicker !

pb080016.jpg

And the attachment to the springy sapling:

pb080015.jpg

Caught myself a JK Hiker, I'm sure it could catch a Turley Green River just as easy !:D:

pb080017y.jpg

I fine tuned the trigger, as it was here a good sneeze would have set it off !!!

pb080018.jpg

I have no doubts that 1/8" Cedar root would be strong enough to take a rabbit sized animal. If I was setting it for real I'd de-bark the cedar root that forms the noose to decrease the friction as it pulls tight.

I threw a rock to set the snare off which the dogs ran after, so not sure what actually tripped it, LOL !:D

[youtube]DgqzN1dzL_s[/youtube]

Mine entry, of course will have to be Common Milkweed or also called Asclepias syriaca.

DSCN2970.jpg

I understand it can be confused to dogbane when in the shoot/sprout phase. By no means am I an expert, but from what I know of milkweed: its top viens are more prominent, leaves do not squeak when rubbed together, stem is slightly squared, stalk is hollow, and taste almost sweet.

Where dogbane, top veins are less prominent, leaves DO squeak when rubbed together, steam is more round, stalk is solid, and tastes very bitter.

So, what I gathered the young shoots/sprouts and the young leaves from the tops of some of the taller plants. Some did contain the broccoli like buds already. If the stem was getting woody, I peeled that off.

I then washed them throughly in water, while I heated a small pan with olive oil in it.

Then added the leaves/shoots to the pan and cooked for about 5 minutes, added salt/pepper/and a little garlic powder. Leaves turn bright green and started to blacken. The smell was awesome, kind of like brussel sprouts but not quite so cabbagly smelling.

SU1HMDAxNTIuanBn.jpg

I let cool for a moment and consumed! Wow were they good. I have heard some compare to green beans, I would say that is close, but more of an asparagus/green bean taste. The broccoli like clusters, tasted alot alike , you guessed it broccoli! (Can't wait to get some bigger ones!)

L0RldmljZSBNZW1vcnkvaG9tZS91c2Vy-2.jpg

I then gathered up some milkweed pods and this is what I did with them. A smoked oyster, ramen, and milkweed stir fry of sorts, this time a little more bushy. As I cooked it over a fire in my 12cm zebra and iron frying pan.

1) what I used to make it with, all very easy to carry in my day pack, i even pack the cutting board. The oysters wont spoil and the ramen is cheap. i think I have about $2.00 in the whole meal!

DSCN2719.jpg

2) Water on to boil for the ramen, and frying up the oysters, dont need to bring oil as they are packed in it already. I used the insert from the zebra to roast the milkweed pods
DSCN2721.jpg

3) after the pods were good and roasted I cut up and added to the oysters

DSCN2722.jpg

4) I forgot to take a picture of it, but I also added the noodles to the pan to fry alittle after they were done boiling.

DSCN2723.jpg

5) Here is the finished product, I must say it is very tasty. The milkweed pods cooked this way taste alot like green bell peppers that have been roasted on the grill!! Very juicy as well. I will be eating this again!

DSCN2724.jpg

Well, in my adventures in milkweed I tried another recipe. Bacon wrapped, cheese filled milkweed pods.

I must say they were AWESOME! I boiled the pods first then cut down the "seam" but not all the way thru, then removed the seed bundle. Chopped the seeds up and mixed those with the cream cheese and cheddar and then put it back into the pod. Then wrapping with half a piece of bacon and using a toothpick I had soaked in warm water(so they dont burn so easy)

Then placed them on the grill along with some other bacon wrapped goodies.

SU1HMDAxOTcuanBn.jpg

This is another I will be doing again. By the way I tried (2) without boiling first and they tasted the same, but were way too tough to eat, as in stringy.

To address the concerns of Common milkweed being toxic, i have read both ways and i believe for me at least it is not in the least bit toxic. As with all wild edibles know 100% what you are going to eat before you eat it. And even then sample it first before diving right in and pigging out just as other daily foods there is a chance you may just be allergic to somethings.

Since its too late in the season to eat them any more, I have turned to doing other things with them.

This time around I picked some pods, that first of all it has rained off and on all week here and then I soaked them in a bowl of room temp water. To see whether or not they would take a spark after the soaking.

As I already found out even if you pick them off when still green, let sit a few hours the fluff will light right up.

My reasoning behind this "test" was to see if as long as I didnt breach the outside of the pod if the seed fluff would stay dry. I let the pods soak for a coupel of hours then got down to business.

I know this would be a lot easier to follow on video, but I don't have a video camera. And the wifey wouldnt take pictures for me while I did it, so you will just have to fill in the missing parts yourself.

Soaking
DSCN2822.jpg

Peeling back to get at the seeds
DSCN2823.jpg

Fluffed up and ready to light, sorry hard to take a picture while you use the firesteel to light!
DSCN2824.jpg

You have to really fluff them up so the air can get to them, but they took right off!
DSCN2825.jpg

Well in my on going adventure in milkweed, next is cordage. I'm going to go into how to make cordage as there is alot of info out there on that subject already, but I will show how I prepped the milkweed for this purpose

First found some plants, didn't go far as they are in my backyard

DSCN2970.jpg

Stripped the leaves off:

DSCN2971.jpg

Peeled the "bark" of the stem off in strips, being careful at the stem knuckles:

DSCN2972.jpg

DSCN2973.jpg

Then you can make the cordage at this point, but I chose to wait until the next day and then soaked it in water before twisting

DSCN2976.jpg

I don't know the name of the method, but i do know IA Woodsman showed me!

DSCN2975.jpg

DSCN2977.jpg

Then I sat down on the step and went at it, in about 30 minutes i made about 30 ft of cordage

DSCN2981.jpg

Great stuff! I used some on this bird snare, worked very well

SU1HMDAyNjkuanBn.jpg

The most all around useful plant I know of in my area is Yucca.

The flowers and fruits are edible in season, either raw or cooked, so it gives us food.

The leaves are the best cordage material I have found, for making fine cordage all the way to small rope. In addition, with a bit of care, one can break off a sharp tip with a fiber "tail" from the side of the leaf, making a needle and thread for sewing.

The leaf fiber can also be used to weave some incredibly tough material , and was used by the Native Americans to make sandals.
I have never made any myself, but have been privileged to find remnants of one such sandal on an archaeological dig out in far West Texas.

The roots of the Yucca are also useful. I have shaved a root finely and put the shavings into hot water, where it can be used as a soap or shampoo.

The Yucca stalks are excellent material for making a fire set.
Two pieces bound together with some leaf cordage will serve as a hearth, and a good straight section serves as the drill. A bow cord can be twisted from the leaf fibers, so that a bow stick and a bearing block are all that is needed to complete the set.

So, food, fire, hygiene, and cordage, cloth/ sandals can all be had from one plant.

Since there are not a lot of plant choices in the dry country, this is one to know, and be familiar with.

Last edited:
I dont have a video or pics or nothin cause this was a few years ago but the coolest tree I know of Is here in NC where while I was in SERE school and doing the Evasion portion a large fallen down and rotted tree served as a hideing place and a shelter for 2 days keeping my team warmish and hidden from the bad guys. It was large enough and had fallen just right as to make a natural shelter that with just a little bit of minor work became home while the temperatures wouldnt have killed us if we had no sort of shelter it sure did make the suck factor that much less. Might not be the coolest story ever but its the coolest one Ive got thanks for the chance Iz.

Excellent entries so far, guys.
The cool thing about this is that not only will somebody win the knife but when it's all over we'll still have a pretty good database to use in this thread.:thumbup:
Iz

Well -

I'm kind of new to bushcraft - so I'll give some urban plant experience. When I was in college I went to a state uni. in the city. One night I was trying to decide what to make for dinner when I smelled big rosemary bush right next to me on campus.

I knew I had a chicken in the fridge - so I pulled out a little sandwich bag and scraped off about 2oz worth of needles. I didn't think anything of it until a security guard stopped me and asked me what I was doing. I explained and he lectured me for about 10min.

Now that I'm adult - I grow rosemary in my front yard so I have no need of theft. One of the greatest herbs ever - drought tolerant and cold tolerant - goes with every meat (pork, chicken, and beef). Plus it reminds me of my - now passed - grandfather who was the first person to ever take me hunting and camping.

Lame - but the best I got Iz.

Blessings!

I don't have any pictures of it, but the coolest thing I ever did with a tree was to build my kids a nifty tree house out of a bunch of red cedar. I put it in a black gum tree. Very generous contest Iz.

Iz,
Here in the desert southwest where our summers typically reach the 120's in the shade, we keep Aloe Vera in the yard. Some people drink the juice from the plant(yuck :barf:) for medicinal purposes. The rest of us break it open or blend it up and put it on everything from minor cuts and abrasions, and sunburns, to small burns received while trying to sneak a piece of bbq off of the grill. It's works well for all of the above and more. Thanks for the giveaway. Mike

Attachments

• aloe.jpg
    aloe.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 7
I am out on the contest, but I am putting up Velvet Leaf. I really like it for cordage in the winter. It is one of the best options in my area.

[YOUTUBE]w42R8v_uzSU[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for this opportunity Iz! I don't have any pics of it, but I like to use Juniper shavings to smoke trout in my little fish smoker; then to top it off, a handfull of mountain cranberries (also known as cow berries; tyttebær in norwegian) from the woods behind my house as a garnish -- mmmmmm.

Living in Central Florida if I was picking a plant that I use the most while camping, hiking and bushcrafting it would have to be Pine Tree. The pine resin, and fatwood that can be found and that I have used if priceless. I have gathered and eaten pine nuts and used the needles to make tea.(High in Vitamin C and a great Antioxidant) The uses are far an wide on this tree, and with the seer numbers around my area fuel is almost limitless with just from the standing dead trees or the countless fallen branches, also makes finding shelter material easy.
But It is the resin and fatwood I really love, melt the resin and mix with some ash and you have a great glue for attaching arrow heads to shafts or making fishing hooks. An when it comes to fire making the Pine is tops in my book, a little fatwood, and resin and getting a fire going in damp/ wet weather is 100% easier….

th_PinePitchwet.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] (some damp Pine Resin)

Burdock040801_01.jpg

Common Burdock (Arctium Minus)

has large, soft, fuzzy leaves that make excellent emergency TP. so it's natural "mountain money". :D

i've used it on occasion when hiking, even when i had TP packed.

i know it can be found in the Sierra Nevadas and Coastal Range, not sure where else it's native too, but i think it grows almost every where.

the pic was googled up, but not the info. :rolleyes: i just thought it made for a better story than other plants i've used or eaten.

Well -

I'm kind of new to bushcraft - so I'll give some urban plant experience. When I was in college I went to a state uni. in the city. One night I was trying to decide what to make for dinner when I smelled big rosemary bush right next to me on campus.

I knew I had a chicken in the fridge - so I pulled out a little sandwich bag and scraped off about 2oz worth of needles. I didn't think anything of it until a security guard stopped me and asked me what I was doing. I explained and he lectured me for about 10min.

Now that I'm adult - I grow rosemary in my front yard so I have no need of theft. One of the greatest herbs ever - drought tolerant and cold tolerant - goes with every meat (pork, chicken, and beef). Plus it reminds me of my - now passed - grandfather who was the first person to ever take me hunting and camping.

Lame - but the best I got Iz.

Blessings!

here in the desert i have "xeriscaping" in the yard and haven't planted Rosemary yet. but there's several places around that have it as landscaping. i usually just chop of a few branches from the landscaping at Costco. doesn't do any permanent damage and nobody cares. i should plant one here inthe spring tho. BBQ'd chicken with rosemary, garlic, pepper and sprinkled with a little beer is yummy. this is not an entry, just the first post is.

Fixer its called a Trekking skillet, places like Crazy Crow and Dixie Gun works carry them. I love mine.

Back