Grip with G10

My father has bought a full size and mini grip from REI since he tried out one of mine. He is hooked on the axis lock. Can anyone give an actual review with multiple angles/photos of this knife? Really looking hard at this one for a gift for him. He actually prefers stainless so it works out. Is it truly s30v? What hardness does Benchmade run this steel?

Thanks to anyone that can help out.

Kevin

just phone pics...
20131116_120800_zps2c22c1e6.jpg

20131113_175423_zps2f818e2f.jpg

20131113_175322_zps3c3adc8f.jpg

Oh gotcha. I missed the confirmations of S30v earlier. Now I have used a lot of s30v but never benchmades. I have sharpened the 154cm on my father's benchmades and its easy as pie and works out very well. He is more than happy with the performance too.

How do you guys like benchmades 154cm compared to their S30v?

Pro's and cons?

Thanks guys. Its kind of expensive since he already has a regular grip he likes. Just looking for justification here ;)

I just stopped by REI on my way home even though I have a regular Grip coming. The resident "knife guy" didn't know about the REI edition and they weren't on display just mixed into inventory. So we both saw them for the first time together. I wanted to handle one side by side with a regular 551 to see whether it was really worth an extra $100. I don't think it is for me, but I think the store guy will probably take one home :)

Major differences

- as we know, the REI edition has green/black G10 scales and a S30V blade. It's available in both plain and serrated blade.

while the blade is not coated, the REI knife has black liners and axis lock whereas these are plain stainless on the regular Grip. I think I actually prefer the bright look with an uncoated blade.

- the G10 scales use spacers where they screw together whereas the back of the standard grip is closed. They appear to be green anodized aluminum. Pretty cool looking.

- the G10 scales add a noticeable amount of weight but not (to me) an objectionable amount.

The REI knife guy made a good point, the REI edition is definitely a collector kind of piece and unless it's exactly what I want it wouldn't make sense to pay the premium over a standard Grip just for EDC as if the S30V were a major factor, I could order one off BM's web site for less. So I really liked it but it didn't come home with me.

One thing I noticed about the REI knife compared to the standard Grip was that the Axis lock was very draggy an the two I handled. I don't know if it was production differences, needing to be broken in/tweaked, or if the coating adds friction. But in any case they were the first BMs (in my admittedly limited experience) that I couldn't release the blade easily with one thumb; I had to pinch the lock with thumb and forefinger to get it to work smoothly. When trying to release with one thumb it was obviously cocking in its slots and not releasing, which I haven't seen before (again, admittedly limited experience)

This is great feedback! Thanks.

I just stopped by REI on my way home even though I have a regular Grip coming. The resident "knife guy" didn't know about the REI edition and they weren't on display just mixed into inventory. So we both saw them for the first time together. I wanted to handle one side by side with a regular 551 to see whether it was really worth an extra $100. I don't think it is for me, but I think the store guy will probably take one home :)

Major differences

- as we know, the REI edition has green/black G10 scales and a S30V blade. It's available in both plain and serrated blade.

while the blade is not coated, the REI knife has black liners and axis lock whereas these are plain stainless on the regular Grip. I think I actually prefer the bright look with an uncoated blade.

- the G10 scales use spacers where they screw together whereas the back of the standard grip is closed. They appear to be green anodized aluminum. Pretty cool looking.

- the G10 scales add a noticeable amount of weight but not (to me) an objectionable amount.

The REI knife guy made a good point, the REI edition is definitely a collector kind of piece and unless it's exactly what I want it wouldn't make sense to pay the premium over a standard Grip just for EDC as if the S30V were a major factor, I could order one off BM's web site for less. So I really liked it but it didn't come home with me.

One thing I noticed about the REI knife compared to the standard Grip was that the Axis lock was very draggy an the two I handled. I don't know if it was production differences, needing to be broken in/tweaked, or if the coating adds friction. But in any case they were the first BMs (in my admittedly limited experience) that I couldn't release the blade easily with one thumb; I had to pinch the lock with thumb and forefinger to get it to work smoothly. When trying to release with one thumb it was obviously cocking in its slots and not releasing, which I haven't seen before (again, admittedly limited experience)

I just ordered one off their site.
Sure it is more expensive than the regular version but the fact that it has standoffs rather than a back spacer is a big deal for me.
Plus the G10 looks very nice.
Very doubtful I will use this at work, got a grey s30v grip for that, this will be an evening and weekend knife.
This should be an awesome blade, hope it arrives soon.

just phone pics...

Thanks for the pics, better than the REI pictures!

Major differences

Thanks for the mini-review. One thing worth noting, you can't order one off BH's website with G10 scales, that adds at least $80.00 to the price, from what I have seen...

Thanks for the pics, better than the REI pictures!

Thanks for the mini-review. One thing worth noting, you can't order one off BH's website with G10 scales, that adds at least $80.00 to the price, from what I have seen...

That is true. However, if you wanted something other than green and black G10 scales, but the lack of a S30V blade was a deal killer for the standard version, you'd be money ahead to buy an off the shelf Doug Ritter or just get a custom Grip off the web site with a S30V blade (with some funky colored scales to resell) and just plan on sourcing the standoffs, rather than start customizing a $175.00 knife.

Myself I think I will probably end up sourcing or making some hardwood scales for mine when I get it, ASSuming that it turns out to be as nice for EDC as I expect it to be. This is not to take anything away from the REI version which is very nice indeed; I'm just trying to go for a more classic look to mitigate the "scary knife guy" image. (where I live, carrying a knife at all is rare it seems, much less one that makes a soft "click" when opened. Kinda sad.)

Picked one of these up tonight at a local REI. Very nice - I like the green standoffs and it's nice to have an REI LE with a PE blade. The blade is perfectly centered and has perfect tension, with smooth lockup and unlock. Nothing not to like here except paying MSRP. :D :thumbup:

I just got mine in the mail today and I am very happy with it.
Everything is perfect except the clip swoops up a bit too much for me at the very end.
I prefer the arrow type but I think I may temporarily change it out with an old 720 clip that does not stick up as much.

The knife is super solid feeling with perfect centering, lockup, and swing tension.
Even though it was a bit pricey I think it is a great knife and all in all quite worth the extra scratch.

Has anyone noticed that the rear liner post/spacer is missing from all the G10 model Grips?
If you have both a standard grip and a G10 model, compare them.
Look between the liners, near the tail end of the partial liners and you will see what I mean.
If the post/spacer were still there, it would end up being right next to a the middle standoff.
In fact, design wise, they moved the middle screw closer to the end of the partial liners just for that reason.
So they could take the rear post/spacer out with out losing any structural strength.
I'm sure the reason it was taken out was purely for aesthetics.
It's not a bad thing, just something I noticed

Does anyone know how close design wise is the REI Grip to the Shot show Grip?
From the pics I have seen the standoffs are different color and the coated blade are different, it looks like the G10 is very similar.

Does anyone know how close design wise is the REI Grip to the Shot show Grip?
From the pics I have seen the standoffs are different color and the coated blade are different, it looks like the G10 is very similar.

It's basically the same...green standoffs, not red...black/green sculpted G10, not black/red sculpted G10...satin S30V blade, not coated M4 blade. Honestly, I don't like the green as much as the red, and at full MSRP I wouldn't have bought one except that I have every other REI Benchmade limited edition knife... :rolleyes:

I like them both, I lost my shot show grip, but the green and black look awesome! at $175, it is more than a regular grip but the upgraded steel and g10 make it worth it IMO

Has anyone noticed that the rear liner post/spacer is missing from all the G10 model Grips?
If you have both a standard grip and a G10 model, compare them.
Look between the liners, near the tail end of the partial liners and you will see what I mean.
If the post/spacer were still there, it would end up being right next to a the middle standoff.
In fact, design wise, they moved the middle screw closer to the end of the partial liners just for that reason.
So they could take the rear post/spacer out with out losing any structural strength.
I'm sure the reason it was taken out was purely for aesthetics.
It's not a bad thing, just something I noticed

Yes, the screw spacing is different from the standard grips.
The middle standoff is actually acting as the rear spacer for the steel liners in conjunction with the stop pin. These g10 grips are far superior and have much better tolerances, the liners in my g10 grips are perfectly parallel which leads to zero blade play with a properly adjusted pivot. With the plastic grips I've had the liners didn't sit parallel and could never get rid of slight blade play. This is also why the stop pin rattles on some plastic grips.
I've taken apart my fair share of grips :)

Last edited:
Back