1. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    :)
    Checkering ......................easy to say hard to learn and do it right .I will try sandblasting ............I have many shoe boxes full with knives to try ........;)

2. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    I made a karambit with that stuff for a handle. Worked pretty well. The rubber part of it was a little more difficult to finish, but not that hard.

[​IMG]

Scott Hanson likes this.
  3. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Do some stipling, that is easy and grippy

Natlek likes this.
  4. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    I know that he did but I don't recall seeing any finished knives with it yet.

5. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    Very nice, how is it for grip as far as slip resistance?

6. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator

Jan 6, 2005
    Real knifemakers wrap their handles in dirty old shoelaces and call it, rustic :p

My clients really appreciate the hemp wrap, soaked in marine epoxy. After a light sanding, it has the feel of bead-blasted micarta and actually gets tackier when wet. Even the wood handled knives I make get a recessed section of wrap at the palm.

Attached Files:

7. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    It's grippy in the hand but I haven't tried getting it super wet and greasy or whatever, so I really can't say it's the bee's knees or anything.

I plan to make a hatchet handle with it. I'm wondering how much shock it will absorb.

Scott Hanson likes this.
  8. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Yes, I have tried Ultrex SureTouch. It has a good grip for wet-use knives. I use it on fillet knives. I put it on some kitchen knives, but didn't like the feel. USA Knifemakers has it in a variety of sizes and patterns. I rarely take photos of my general use knives, but will probably take more once the new shop is fully running. I will look around and see if I have a fillet blade with Ultrex still around. Problem is, all my shoeboxes full of knives get sold :)

Andy, I have one of JT's hawk blanks in a box with a sheet of Ultrex SureTouch for the handle. It will be one of the first fun projects when I get up and running.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Scott Hanson likes this.
  9. Bob Duguay

Bob Duguay

Aug 28, 2017
    Rick I really like that last knife. Not to derail the thread but do you have a thread explaining your process about how you do those handles?

And I really like the texture on the sheath in the left lower picture.

10. Bob Duguay

Bob Duguay

Aug 28, 2017
    How do you guys finish that kind of G10?

11. Pinoy Knife

Pinoy Knife

Aug 9, 2002
    Natlek
    try this take a checkering file and file lines across the top and bottom radius of the handle in say 4 places along the handle, going around the radiused corners .. it will provide better grip instead of just smooth sanded.
    another thing that will work is a Japanese ito style wrap soaked with epoxy.. great grip /no slip good luck /have some fun with it..

Natlek likes this.
  12. A.McPherson

Jan 27, 2012
    Sand to the level you want, run it down with a little oil. Wipe it off with a rag or whatever.

13. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    It s look easy but it is not easy...........:) I try on two knife on which I don t like wood .................I do everything wrong , from wrapping cord /I refused to accept the fact that I needed glasses / and used to thick epoxy ..........
    [​IMG]

Rick Marchand likes this.
  14. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Wait , I m not done..................:D Please leave coffee on table before you read this..................;)
    This are segments with diamonds from big saw for granite , i have 200 liters barrel full of them. I know someone who change them on saws for local granite industry .............So if you know some way how to get this diamonds from segments................that would be some no slip handle :D
    [​IMG]

SBuzek likes this.
  15. FredyCro

FredyCro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Thats easy, just put them in your kitchen food procesor and watch them crumble to dust :))

Wrapped handle looks good to me!

Natlek likes this.
  16. Dimitar Popov

Dimitar Popov

Nov 28, 2019
    Birch bark doesn't slip. You only have to be patient to stack it .

Hengelo_77 likes this.