Grip

I think you're winning this one on originaliry pionts :D

Try checkering
:)
Checkering ......................easy to say hard to learn and do it right .I will try sandblasting ............I have many shoe boxes full with knives to try ........;)

has anyone had a chance to try it yet?View attachment 1519360

I made a karambit with that stuff for a handle. Worked pretty well. The rubber part of it was a little more difficult to finish, but not that hard.

tmb3w7q.jpg

Do some stipling, that is easy and grippy

I made a karambit with that stuff for a handle. Worked pretty well. The rubber part of it was a little more difficult to finish, but not that hard.

tmb3w7q.jpg
Very nice, how is it for grip as far as slip resistance?

Real knifemakers wrap their handles in dirty old shoelaces and call it, rustic :p

My clients really appreciate the hemp wrap, soaked in marine epoxy. After a light sanding, it has the feel of bead-blasted micarta and actually gets tackier when wet. Even the wood handled knives I make get a recessed section of wrap at the palm.

Attachments

• 84D971A1-857E-4A55-BC3C-4AA0A91A56DD.jpeg
    84D971A1-857E-4A55-BC3C-4AA0A91A56DD.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 5B25A046-EC92-472A-A7F1-1B4F2894AD36.jpeg
    5B25A046-EC92-472A-A7F1-1B4F2894AD36.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 25
  • ACEED97D-3B65-449B-8D3C-4BD6DDEF7DAB.jpeg
    ACEED97D-3B65-449B-8D3C-4BD6DDEF7DAB.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 8D2D2F14-35C4-4FA3-9F73-CC787EAF6B9D.jpeg
    8D2D2F14-35C4-4FA3-9F73-CC787EAF6B9D.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 27
Very nice, how is it for grip as far as slip resistance?

It's grippy in the hand but I haven't tried getting it super wet and greasy or whatever, so I really can't say it's the bee's knees or anything.

I plan to make a hatchet handle with it. I'm wondering how much shock it will absorb.

Yes, I have tried Ultrex SureTouch. It has a good grip for wet-use knives. I use it on fillet knives. I put it on some kitchen knives, but didn't like the feel. USA Knifemakers has it in a variety of sizes and patterns. I rarely take photos of my general use knives, but will probably take more once the new shop is fully running. I will look around and see if I have a fillet blade with Ultrex still around. Problem is, all my shoeboxes full of knives get sold :)

Andy, I have one of JT's hawk blanks in a box with a sheet of Ultrex SureTouch for the handle. It will be one of the first fun projects when I get up and running.

Last edited:
Real knifemakers wrap their handles in dirty old shoelaces and call it, rustic :p

My clients really appreciate the hemp wrap, soaked in marine epoxy. After a light sanding, it has the feel of bead-blasted micarta and actually gets tackier when wet. Even the wood handled knives I make get a recessed section of wrap at the palm.

Rick I really like that last knife. Not to derail the thread but do you have a thread explaining your process about how you do those handles?

And I really like the texture on the sheath in the left lower picture.

Last edited:
Natlek
try this take a checkering file and file lines across the top and bottom radius of the handle in say 4 places along the handle, going around the radiused corners .. it will provide better grip instead of just smooth sanded.
another thing that will work is a Japanese ito style wrap soaked with epoxy.. great grip /no slip good luck /have some fun with it..

Rick I really like that last knife. Not to derail the thread but do you have a thread explaining your process about how you do those handles?

And I really like the texture on the sheath in the left lower picture.
It s look easy but it is not easy...........:) I try on two knife on which I don t like wood .................I do everything wrong , from wrapping cord /I refused to accept the fact that I needed glasses / and used to thick epoxy ..........
qYH4m4O.jpg

I think you're winning this one on originaliry pionts :D

Try checkering
Wait , I m not done..................:D Please leave coffee on table before you read this..................;)
This are segments with diamonds from big saw for granite , i have 200 liters barrel full of them. I know someone who change them on saws for local granite industry .............So if you know some way how to get this diamonds from segments................that would be some no slip handle :D
8GCYNl5.jpg

Last edited:
Wait , I m not done..................:D Please leave coffee on table before you read this..................;)
This are segments with diamonds from big saw for granite , i have 200 liter barrel full of them. I know someone who change them on saws for local granite industry .............So if you know sam way how to get this diamonds................that would be no slip handle :D
8GCYNl5.jpg

Thats easy, just put them in your kitchen food procesor and watch them crumble to dust :))

Wrapped handle looks good to me!

Only hard wood i was used so far for handle are Ebony .......this is one o knife with that wood .I give it to one friend , avid hunter .He complain that handle is slippery when he deals with wild boar..........

nfe6TsL.jpg

So , what do you think about this ??? I think that I already see something like this , but I m not sure ........First one / SIC / was done just not to forget the idea.I used leftover/not enough/ epoxy so it didn't come great .Then i do this ...........coated the entire handle with epoxy and then very fine aluminium oxide ..............NOW that is grip , i like it .I've been using this knife for a few days when I need it. In the beginning there was a drop of grains ... but now it stopped and i think that finish would last long time ...What do you think ?
Silicon carbide is little on coarse side on this one .I will try other one with fine SIC
IaQArE8.jpg

But this one with AO ................nothing can't get this knife out of hand.
GewKL7y.jpg

m3vveGB.jpg

You mention the handle on the knife directly above is made from "AO". What exactly is that?

You mention the handle on the knife directly above is made from "AO". What exactly is that?
That ugly one /black/ is SIC ..silicon carbide
Other one is AO ,aluminium oxide , grit which is used in sandpaper and belts

Ok, thank you. Looking for something grippy for an ESEE I have.
I have 10 kg from that AO , I bought it for a sand pot furnace which I never finished .Very cheap, as far as I remember I paid about twenty dollars here for that 10 kg . Handle is not just grippy , it is extremely grippy and i like feeling while holding that handle .AO is very fine grain /i need to look in thread about sand pot furnace for exact grit size/ and i really can t explain feeling while I hold that handle .

Back