GSO 4.1-new spec

I really like the looks of that natural canvas on this particular 4.1. If I was to order natural canvas now would they all look like this?

I think Ellie has said there can be variations between batches - but i would think if all of these are from the same batch (which would make sense) it would be the same.

Dang, seeing it compared to the old spec and 4.7 makes me want a new spec 4.1 also. I thought I would be immune with both the 3.5 and 4.7 on order. Drool.

I'd like to try to revive this thread.

A few days ago, I had the hands down absolute coolest experience a new forum member can have. S!K was a new discovery for me a couple of months ago. Especially the highly touted 4.1, which Guy described somewhere as "the all rounder", the take anywhere, do anything mid-size model. At that time, pre-orders for the new 4.1 had already been long closed and it looked as if it would be a while for its next turn in the production schedule. So, I settled on pre-orders for the 3.5 and 6 models. TBH, the 3.5 probably suits my needs better since most of my outdoor activities are in areas that either don't allow fires or are above the tree-line. And there, a folder meets most of my cutting needs. Still, I think many here can appreciate the desire to carry something a little more stout that can handle more if the need arises. And who doesn't appreciate an ergonomic, solid, no-nonsense slab of beautifully ground premium steel (D3V!) between a pair of perfectly formed micarta or G10 scales? After posting a few times on the forum (and on the CPK one, as well - I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the FK 2.0!) out of the blue, I received a message from another forum member asking if I would be interested in a new spec 4.1! I had already used up my knife budget for the year, but how could I turn this down?! There's no telling when the 3.5 or 6 would arrive and I was just days away from a trip home to Europe so... Yes! I want the knife! Well, it arrived in time and...it is... amazing! I love it. It had been gently used and expertly resharpened. To welcome it, I gave it a soapy bath, a little Flitz treatment and a very minor polish to the edge. It looks brand new. I wish I could post some pics but I have yet to take the time to figure out how to upload them here. I'm itching to use it and hope to have some pics from my trip.

I've poked around the forum but haven't been able to find a review of the new spec 4.1; a comparison with the old spec from someone who's familiar with both would be great, too - especially wrt to the balance which must have shifted with the full tang - is it still just as "nimble" (a frequently praised characteristic of the older version)?

Also, I'd really like to give credit where credit is due. The forum member that provided the knife - I can't emphasize enough how cool and thoughtful it was of him to offer it to a newbie - is an outstanding gentleman. Super responsive to my questions (again, I was completely caught off guard by the unexpected offer and wasn't even considering a 4.1) and delivery was lightning fast. The sale occurred outside of a regular thread via PM. Is there any way to add to his already long list of glowing reviews as someone you definitely want to do business with?

I'm really glad I joined the forum. There are great people to be found here. Thanks to all!

Last edited:
This is awesome!!!! You sound really appreciative of the knife and the deal, sounds like you're pretty deserving.

I've been using Imgur to get pictures from my phone to the forum. If you have any questions, let me know. We'd love to see the knife and any adventures or projects you use it for.

I'd like to think I know who reached out to you and if I'm right, he really is one of the best around.

I need to check the thread I started when I got my new 4.1 to see if any of my ramblings compares the new and old 4.1. I have both so if you're wondering about anything specific, let me know!

Congratulations on your latest acquisition!

EDIT: Here's the link to my thread. I have a pic of the balance of my new one and a side by side with my new and old. I could ramble a few thoughts, but let me know if you're curious about anything specific.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/silvers-4-1-is-finally-home-now-pic-heavy.1503564/

Also...

CUVlX90.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Silver!
It really was a great surprise and you're right, I AM super happy!
I don't know how I missed your thread. I'll look forward to reading it - I'm in the middle of packing.
Re old vs new spec, I don't have any specific questions. It's just that most of the reviews and videos are about the old one so I thought it'd be interesting to see how they compare - especially since the old one got so much love.

Thanks again, Silver.
Clearly, I must be overworked... That's a mighty big thread for me to have missed...
I think the mistake was searching for something like "GSO 4.1 old vs new spec" on Google and, oddly, it didn't turn up much.
Come to think of it, that thread looks familiar...
Good thing I'm going on vacation. I need it. I'm probably not safe in this condition ... :)

Oyster, there were a ton of "in the field" posts for the first couple of new spec models released (the 5.1 and the 4.7).
Since then the number of posts that have actual field usage content have dropped dramatically, and for the 4.1 there doesn't seem to have been as much feedback.
Part of this might be because the new spec 4.7 and the 4.1 are really pretty similar knives.
Side by side I have to look pretty carefully to make sure I know which is which.
The 4.7 has a somewhat more positive grip for the "hammer" hand position and to me feels just about perfect.
The 4.1 is intended for more general purpose use and so the handle is a bit more neutral feeling, good for many positions but not quite as positive for the basic hammer grip.
For comparison:
The 5.1 balances on the first fastener. (Micarta scales)
The 4.7 balances at the index finger pocket. (Micarta scales)
The 4.1 balances just behind the index finger pocket. (G10 scales)
The 2.7 balances about an inch behind the first fastener. (G10 scales)
The old spec 3.5 balances about half an inch behind the first fastener. (Micarta scales)

Fancier, thanks for all the info!
Yes, I noticed that there was an abundance of reviews about the 4.7 and 5.1. And, yes, in its newest (larger) iteration, the 4.1 has narrowed the gap to the 4.7 and they indeed look to be very similar. I think Guy said the 4.7 was essentially a 4.1 "on steroids". For me, the slightly smaller proportions of the 4.1 (thinner stock and a bit less blade height) combined with, as you pointed out, a more neutral handle, seems perfect. Having said that, the 4.7 is an awesome looking blade. I don't spend nearly as much time (sadly) using my knives as some of the other members but I can get completely immersed in admiring the little details (the proportions between blade length/height to handle length/girth, the grind, the curves of the handle, the choice and finish of the steel etc etc) and even small tweaks to a design (a mm here and there can make a huge difference to the aesthetics and overall impression of a knife). Yes, it's become a bit of an obsession *sigh* ;-)
I really hope to use my first S!K on my trip (for more than merely giving my hands a clean - literally "hair popping" - shave... ;-) )

The old spec knives were closer to the classic Kephart design, the new spec knives have improved ergonomics.
If you want a flatter, straighter handle the old spec are preferred.
I like the way the old spec look but I love the way the new spec feel.

Agreed, the old ones look fantastic and, if I had one, I probably wouldn't let it go and opt for a 4.7 instead if I wanted to experience the new ergonomics. Could be mistaken, but I believe that's what the previous owner of my 4.1 decided to do.
For my part, I'm absolutely thrilled to have a new spec 4.1.

(Of course, if money wasn't an issue, I'd take one of each, thank you, please)

Last edited:
Thanks again, Silver.
Clearly, I must be overworked... That's a mighty big thread for me to have missed...
I think the mistake was searching for something like "GSO 4.1 old vs new spec" on Google and, oddly, it didn't turn up much.
Come to think of it, that thread looks familiar...
Good thing I'm going on vacation. I need it. I'm probably not safe in this condition ... :)
Not a problem at all. I just wanted to clarify because I was thinking of directing you to certain pages in the wrong thread, so I wanted correct my self!

Awesome knife and awesome pic! I really love the shade of the bare steel and black micarta.

chiral.grolim chiral.grolim how did you get the pic to show up like that? I tried taking the link text that oyster posted and just putting it in the Image URL box, but that didn't do anything.

I think that Chiral has an upgraded BF account.
A craftsman account gives special file sharing abilities? I know when my membership lapsed I couldn't share pics directly, but even now that I can the file size is so limited that only some screen shots can be shared that way.

I went to the link, <copy image location>, came back here and used the <Insert Image URL> function in the reply toolbar, pasted in the image location, clicked <Insert>

I don't think my account gave me a special ability in this regard... ? *shrug* Awesome pic.

I was speculating that the craftsman level membership had a larger image allowance.
Like many of my speculations it turned out to be incorrect. ;)

For imgur, once you have a photo loaded onto the website, right click it and "open in a new window".

Now you should have a new window with nothing but the photo you uploaded. Then you save/copy the hyperlink and paste that in the photo uploader here on BF

Hope that helps.
Works for me.

Back