GSO 4.1 vs 4.7 vs 5

Great! Search here and fleebay for the 5. I saw 2 or 3 of them last month. I am sure they will come up for sale as Guy releases new knives. Best of luck!

I was digging around in a box last night and happened to find a mock up a friend of mine made from my GSO-4.7 drawing one day in the shop, out of some scrap steel. He has an interest in making knives, so I would let him stop by and use our TW-90 grinder whenever it was available. I'm glad I did, he actually got pretty good, pretty quickly. I think he really just needed a place to work and explore his ideas more than anything. He ended up making quite a few little knives during his trips to our shop and also became a great friend to us. Anyway, here is the blank, the profile is an exact replica of the 4.7 outline. He had some trouble with the choil, since he was only using the small wheel attachment on our grinder. Thanks again George, for taking the time to grind that blank on one of your weekend afternoons!

We'll have some photos of production blanks, starting in the next few weeks or so.

2015-03-11 15.13.45.jpg 2015-03-11 15.14.29.jpg 4-1vs4-7.jpg 4-7vs5.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet pattern! Looks like it will give ontario blackbird's a serious run for its money :thumbup:

Wow Guy, thanks so much for posting this. There really couldn't be a better comparison.

Now I must return to meditating on which of these great blades I need more.

This is making it hard for me to resist a 4.7...LOL.

^This! I'll sign-up for the 4.7, but I really want to know how the new 4.1 & 5.1 handles will be shaped... and that 2.7, even though I tend to use a folder for my smaller blades... and the GSO-12. Oh man, so much going on...

^This! I'll sign-up for the 4.7, but I really want to know how the new 4.1 & 5.1 handles will be shaped... and that 2.7, even though I tend to use a folder for my smaller blades... and the GSO-12. Oh man, so much going on...

I have done similar things with the profile contouring on the other models, actually partially based on some of your feedback. I've eliminated the unnatural long flat areas of the handles, in favor of smoother curves that will better cradle the hand.

I'm actually glad that your guys have some of the older blades and are interested in the new stuff as well. You'll be able to see the evolution first hand. We're moving away from laser cutting, to water jet cutting and then machining the blade blanks to size. The result will be a much tighter fit between the blade and handles.

I'm actually glad that your guys have some of the older blades and are interested in the new stuff as well. You'll be able to see the evolution first hand. We're moving away from laser cutting, to water jet cutting and then machining the blade blanks to size. The result will be a much tighter fit between the blade and handles.

And I'm surprised that you have not raised your prices. I saw video of you while back when you mentioned that the spines are not cleaned up to keep the cost down as well as some handle fits. Guy, are you actually making good profits by selling your knives at such a low cost compare to other manufacturers?

Last edited:
And I'm surprised that you have not raised your prices. I saw video of you while back when you mentioned that the spines are not cleaned up to keep the cost down as well as some handle fits. Guy, are you actually making good profits by selling your knives at such a low cost compare to other manufacturers?

I'm not sure because I don't know what other knife manufacturer's margins are. I just know that we want to do the very best we can, for the most fair price possible. That is why we've even lowered prices where we think we can. As far as the improvements go, I know that I can do better so I'm going to. I honestly believe the increase in production cost will be a wash, when I see all of the spoilage we'll be able to avoid by having more processes under our roof.

I have done similar things with the profile contouring on the other models, actually partially based on some of your feedback. I've eliminated the unnatural long flat areas of the handles, in favor of smoother curves that will better cradle the hand.

This has me really excited for the models with the contouring. I remember Chiral's review well and thought he hit the nail on the head concerning the handle contour. The profile on that 4.7 blank looks a winner. Good for you for listening Guy :thumbup: Exciting times!

Is the handle on the 4.7 going to be fatter than the 4.1? It's hard to tell without seeing them next to each other.

Is the handle on the 4.7 going to be fatter than the 4.1? It's hard to tell without seeing them next to each other.

The GSO-4.7 has the same handle height as the 4.1 right in the finger pocket but then gets wider from there. In some areas, like through the center of the handle, the 4.7 handle is wider than the GSO-5. When it is really miserable out and your hands get cold or wet, dexterity can become a problem. I made a really pronounced handle profile on this blade in particular, for improved retention, comfort and control over the blade.

Thanks. Now I have to decide whether to go with the 5 I have been waiting on or the 4.7. I do know this, though, one or the other is gonna be coming to my house.

Do we have any updates on the 4.7 yet? Guy, have you gotten any further than the blanks? Would love to see a finished (or partially finished) 4.7 between a 4.1 and a 5 (and even a 5.1 for good measure) :)

I'm honestly sad that the GSO 5 will no longer be available. I love the thickness, the width, and length of the blade. I am also not a fan of choils in a knife that size.

I'm honestly sad that the GSO 5 will no longer be available. I love the thickness, the width, and length of the blade. I am also not a fan of choils in a knife that size.
Personally, I find the choil in the 5.1 to be very useful when I am only carrying one knife. It allows me to choke up a bit for finer work when I don't have a smaller knife on me. I know there are plenty of folks that do not want a choil on any knife, and I understand this preference, but I happen to be in the other camp. Perhaps the GSO 6 or GSO 4.7 will be just right for you needs. I have a 6 on order as well as I have plenty of small knives to carry for fine work. If I only carry one knife, there will be plenty that never see any love.:)

Personally, I find the choil in the 5.1 to be very useful... I know there are plenty of folks that do not want a choil on any knife, and I understand this preference, but I happen to be in the other camp.
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong ;)

Really though, when I get my 10 it might change my view on choils. Until then I'll just keep heckling everyone with a different opinion than my own!

Back