GSO 4.1 vs 4.7 vs 5

Now I do like choils on some of the larger knives that I have owned like the Busse ASHBM and Rodent 9, but with these smaller knives I don't care for it like the GSO 5.

I wasn't a fan of them till I got my 5.1. Like MVM if its the only one I'm carrying I see lots of value in the choil. Not to say that the 5 necessarily needed one but it does really help when getting in those need too spaces and not just wacking away at giant red wood.

Do we have any updates on the 4.7 yet? Guy, have you gotten any further than the blanks? Would love to see a finished (or partially finished) 4.7 between a 4.1 and a 5 (and even a 5.1 for good measure) :)
I really want a 4.7 but i missed the preorder. It was only recently that i got interested on survive knives after placing a pre-order on a GSO-10 and saw good reviews about Guy's knives. I wonder what my chances are in getting a 4.7 when they become available for sale on line. Will it take only hours to run out of stock before i even realize that it was available? Are the ones gonna be available factory 2nds only? I don't like 2nds. Those who preordered are lucky, even without pictures, i think the specs are perfect for an awesome knife. i'm so jealous 😫😰😟

I really want a 4.7 but i missed the preorder. It was only recently that i got interested on survive knives after placing a pre-order on a GSO-10 and saw good reviews about Guy's knives. I wonder what my chances are in getting a 4.7 when they become available for sale on line. Will it take only hours to run out of stock before i even realize that it was available? Are the ones gonna be available factory 2nds only? I don't like 2nds. Those who preordered are lucky, even without pictures, i think the specs are perfect for an awesome knife. i'm so jealous 😫😰😟

The people who were around or aware in early spring really were in on a pivotal time with the starter campaign and new models and procedures. With that said I still think everyone will win in the end.

Guy said on instagram that there will be hundreds of extra 5.1's for regular purchase after the starters ship. I would guess the same would be true for the 4.7. This is a model I'm really looking forward to as it could very well bump the 5 as my favorite knife in the universe.

As for factory seconds, I get the feeling from everything I read that there will be very, very few in the future because Guy now has more of his own equipment to control and fix quality issues better than ever before. I know you don't mind this, but every now and then I'll read someone commenting on how they're looking forward to getting a big discount with a second like in the old days.

The people who were around or aware in early spring really were in on a pivotal time with the starter campaign and new models and procedures. With that said I still think everyone will win in the end.

Guy said on instagram that there will be hundreds of extra 5.1's for regular purchase after the starters ship. I would guess the same would be true for the 4.7. This is a model I'm really looking forward to as it could very well bump the 5 as my favorite knife in the universe.

As for factory seconds, I get the feeling from everything I read that there will be very, very few in the future because Guy now has more of his own equipment to control and fix quality issues better than ever before. I know you don't mind this, but every now and then I'll read someone commenting on how they're looking forward to getting a big discount with a second like in the old days.

Thank you Sir for the spirit. I am hoping to at least get a chance on ordering this 4.7 on line. Some individuals are be waiting to buy >1 for resale/profit most likely. I really want the specs of the 4.7 among all the other GSOs. Images and videos don't give justice to actual size of the 4.1 and it looks small and comparable to an open folder. But for my liking, it's the only available model for pre-ordering. And so, before i regret missin out, i jumped the gun and pre-ordered one. I guess the only way of feeling its size is to get it on my hands. I now have a 10 on 4.1 on order and will be vigilant for a 4.7. I'm also thinking of pre-ordering 6(still too soon) because i missed out on the 5. Oh my goodness, It has always been "at least one more" situation on a lot of things. This is becoming an obsession, but i don't think i'm the the only one.

6f295d831e57003570f29cca8521a9e7.png

Nice work on the order! Everyone seems to love their 4.1's, but like you know, if it ends up not being for you, you could easily sell it.

The last round of 5.1's selling out so fast really have some folks concerned about missing out, but I know Guy and the crew learned a lot from it and are working to make sure that doesn't happen again.

After the sale on 5's and the other spring cleaning sales ended I did not see a flood of GSO's being sold in our exchange or even ebay. Of course there were some jackasses selling a brand new 5 complete with a S! sticker that they clearly just received and wanted to sell it for an extra $75 or $100 or more. Oh well.

Remember there will be a small amount of 5's being sold after all current orders are shipped. So keep that in mind if that is what you really want.

If Guy's plans work out, you should have no problem getting a 4.7 after the preorders ship.

And yeah the "just one more" struggle is very real. Oh well, I can think of a lot worse things to spend money on :D

Fox, take a look at this. I put this same vid in the youtube thread, but I dug this up for you. This short video shows the sk7, but this knife has the same specs as the 4.1. If you never seen his videos he wears large size gloves :)p).

If you like this he has a longer full review on this blade. Maybe this will give you a better taste of the 4.1 size and capabilities.

[video=youtube_share;J18WDGdrZPU]http://youtu.be/J18WDGdrZPU[/video]

There are a lot of leftover GSO-4.7s. A lot! You shouldn't have any trouble picking up one of those. In the past we had a few runs with a high proportion of Factory 2nds. That is why we've been closing preordering once the knives start getting cut out, to make sure we have enough good ones for orders. But looking at the GSO-5.1 run, the production changes have been for the better. So I am expecting there to be a lot of good GSO-4.7 blades available after shipping out preorders.

Nice work on the order! Everyone seems to love their 4.1's, but like you know, if it ends up not being for you, you could easily sell it.

The last round of 5.1's selling out so fast really have some folks concerned about missing out, but I know Guy and the crew learned a lot from it and are working to make sure that doesn't happen again.

After the sale on 5's and the other spring cleaning sales ended I did not see a flood of GSO's being sold in our exchange or even ebay. Of course there were some jackasses selling a brand new 5 complete with a S! sticker that they clearly just received and wanted to sell it for an extra $75 or $100 or more. Oh well.

Remember there will be a small amount of 5's being sold after all current orders are shipped. So keep that in mind if that is what you really want.

If Guy's plans work out, you should have no problem getting a 4.7 after the preorders ship.

And yeah the "just one more" struggle is very real. Oh well, I can think of a lot worse things to spend money on :D

True, you are so correct with the "just one more" struggle and the other worse things to spend money on. At least the laws on knives here in California are better than the ones for the other worse and expensive things like sporting firearms that many politicians here wrongly label with evil names.

Fox, take a look at this. I put this same vid in the youtube thread, but I dug this up for you. This short video shows the sk7, but this knife has the same specs as the 4.1. If you never seen his videos he wears large size gloves :)p).

If you like this he has a longer full review on this blade. Maybe this will give you a better taste of the 4.1 size and capabilities.

[video=youtube_share;J18WDGdrZPU]http://youtu.be/J18WDGdrZPU[/video]

Thanks for the vid. This guy's video actually is one of the teasers that got me into the waiting game with the GSO-10. There's this duo from Norway called fire and steel who makes good survive knives reviews. I wear the same size gloves and using it as a reference is brilliant. I made paper cutouts of the GSO specs and compared it to my other knives, 4.1 is good size and i'm still crazy about the 4.7😎

[video=youtube_share;tpDPimOOkHY]http://youtu.be/tpDPimOOkHY[/video]

No problem at all. I had a feeling you had seen it already.

I can only imagine firearms would be way more expensive!

Great news from Ellie, herself. I love that she chimed in on this thread. With how they're working to improve output I think there are going to be many happy customers in the near future. :thumbup:

No problem at all. I had a feeling you had seen it already.

I can only imagine firearms would be way more expensive!

Great news from Ellie, herself. I love that she chimed in on this thread. With how they're working to improve output I think there are going to be many happy customers in the near future. :thumbup:

Glad to hear from her too. Thanks for the input Ms Ellie if you are still on-line . I can't wait to bear witness to GSO satisfaction myself. You know you don't own it if you are not holding it. I'll be a proud owner someday - of a GSO4.7 as well maybe.

There are a lot of leftover GSO-4.7s. A lot! You shouldn't have any trouble picking up one of those. In the past we had a few runs with a high proportion of Factory 2nds. That is why we've been closing preordering once the knives start getting cut out, to make sure we have enough good ones for orders. But looking at the GSO-5.1 run, the production changes have been for the better. So I am expecting there to be a lot of good GSO-4.7 blades available after shipping out preorders.

That's great news. I can't wait. Thanks much.:)

Nice! I'm assuming all the models will be like this?

That is the goal. I'm not sure about the GSO-5.1 though. We produced way more than the number of preorders placed, but I'm not sure how quick those will go. I've seen a lot of emails asking to add "just one more order" for those. Since I've been saying no, I expect those to sell pretty quickly.

So when will the "extra" 4.7s be available? Also, when will the 4.1 go into production?

I really want a 4" Survive! and if it's going to be a while I might start looking for one on the used market.

Foxtrotgolf, I have the 4.1 and find it to be a bit small for my hand. Because of this, I ordered a 5.0. When the new 4.7 was announced with the new handle, I ordered one of those, as well.

I use x-large Mechanix work gloves and they fit me perfectly. Hopefully, that might give you an idea of the size of the 4.1 handle. The 4.1 does fit me perfectly if I am wearing my Mechanix or leather work gloves. It's just that little bit of added material that makes the difference.

Back