GSO-4.7 Cru Forge V

Folks who have received the knives seem to like the ergos. etc. Have any of you had time to from an opinion on the steel? I was an early purchaser of the stuff and I am interested to know how people like it when done on a small scale production setting? Pretty much all of what we have seen prior to this was custom work.

I used mine a bit over the weekend. Working wood in the yard to use in our fire pit. I was pretty impressed with how it bites into pine, and how batonning it through said pine, albeit soft, didn't do much to the edge or the coating. And it would still scrape hair afterward. A little better than scrape, but at least scrape.

So last week I found a black walnut in my yard and wanted to show my girls that under the green skin and the meat (flesh? Not sure on the correct term), there is a nut in a shell.

I wiped down the blade, but did not wash it before sheathing it and later setting in a shelf. A few days later I needed it and found a purpley, brown patina all along the edge of the blade where there was no cerakote.

It's been stormy here for the last week and a half and any time I found fallen tree limbs in my yard I chucked them in a pile. Today I wanted to turn these big branches into smaller pieces and I used my cruforge 4.7 for some wicked cross batoning action.

Wouldn't it have been easier and faster to chop or saw these branches? Well....... yes, but I just felt like using my 4.7 :D

Anyways, what I thought would be pretty serious staining or corrosion all came off with my simple wood working project. I was pleased.

On another note, I've been using my cruforge on and off since the last week of July and despite the weekly use it will still take a little hair off my arm if I get the angle right. That is, the straight edge will still take a little hair. The curved part of the edge left me with a little bald patch.

I'm still waiting for the edge to dull enough to not shave at all so I can see how she does on a strop.

Folks who have received the knives seem to like the ergos. etc. Have any of you had time to from an opinion on the steel? I was an early purchaser of the stuff and I am interested to know how people like it when done on a small scale production setting? Pretty much all of what we have seen prior to this was custom work.

I just made this post and it is about the best explanation of my experience so far. I'm DEFINITELY not a steel connoisseur like many of the fine gentlemen here, but so far it's really impressed me with edge stability and retention.

I am new to Survive! knives and ordered one of these on 9/21 after several recommendations and virtual harassment ( :) ) from dogboye. If I ordered on 9/21 and was dinged on 9/23, when should I expect it to ship? cant wait,

randy

I am new to Survive! knives and ordered one of these on 9/21 after several recommendations and virtual harassment ( :) ) from dogboye. If I ordered on 9/21 and was dinged on 9/23, when should I expect it to ship? cant wait,

randy

S!K tries for 15 days, but are behind at the moment. Seems like guys are experiencing around 2 months on factory seconds and limited editions. I don't know about the CFV knives - but hopefully inside of 2 months.

I was harassing Randy about ordering one because it was posted on the site, on the page, that they were to be shipping out next month.

That being said, I would not strongly expect to see it before the end of next month, Randy. But I believe that is the first time they have posted at the point of sale when they are planning to be shipping them out (except when it says that they can't say, because it will be a long time).

f800334f36896367720626db450abcc4.jpg

Turned big sticks into little sticks this evening with the 4.7! And the pile in the pic is just one big stick! It made a lot more and went through the wood like a hot knife through butter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find this to be very therapeutic. It takes way less planning and concentration than making a try stick but to me can be just as fun.

Fun indeed and can be more fun then a hatchet and in some ways a little safer then a hatchet!

Fun indeed and can be more fun then a hatchet and in some ways a little safer then a hatchet!

Right on! I don't live on a farm or ranch or anything so anytime I can sub in a GSO for another tool, I do it!

Back