Gso 6 : Eta ?

There's an odd dearth of good options in the 6" length. I've had this same question. The Fiddleback Camp Knife looks very intriguing, but it is $350. It is also set up more as a chopper than as a longish companion knife like the GSO 6.

Bark River makes a bunch of knives in the 5.5 to 6" range. Some people have reservations about buying from them, but by and large there are many satisfied BRKT users out there. Look at a Bravo 1.5 to start. Comes in 3V, in two different widths.

Honestly, the ESEE 6 is a great option here. It is a great tool that really handles well, while not being mammoth.

Remember that the heavy machining has never been the holdup.
The GSO 3.5 has been in the machining process since last November but it will still be the next model to receive's Survive's shop time.
The 2.7, 4.1 and 7/7 models still have to be pushed through the Survive shop first.
Theoretically the SK line could be run independently of the GSO line and be completed first, but so far Survive hasn't had more than three models in production in their shop at the same time. I haven't seen any indication that they want to get that far ahead of themselves on the outside machining.
Until the Survive shop backlog of GSO models is cleared up I don't think that we aren't likely to see much progress on the SK line either.
Guy has indicated that once he finishes the 4.1 the backlog for the remaining models is much smaller.
According to the production page they are still working on fulfilling preorders for the 4.1.

Just that more important to get some sort of an update on this merger project w/Millit and the other outfit on the SK line, I believe a lot of folks seen this SK line moving along much more fluidly giving the team more time to work on GSO models. The more and more I think of the SK line is that it may have been more of a new "Starter" program/idea to generate new interest/funding. Just my speculation of course until we hear something more direct from the team.

Just that more important to get some sort of an update on this merger project w/Millit and the other outfit on the SK line, I believe a lot of folks seen this SK line moving along much more fluidly giving the team more time to work on GSO models. The more and more I think of the SK line is that it may have been more of a new "Starter" program/idea to generate new interest/funding. Just my speculation of course until we hear something more direct from the team.

An update on the SK line would be welcome.
$25 deposits (even if they're non-refundable) don't strike me as much of a funding strategy.

It was also mentioned (as well as the email I received from Jordyn) that it was necessary to gauge interest, I didn't see that necessary as I believe they'd literally fly off the shelves if they had any qty available. I also opted for just the $25 deposit as I don't believe anyone that paid outright will receive it any faster, they just received the additional 5% off.

It's all speculation on our part at this point.
I agree and also think they'd fly off the shelf. Still, maybe they wanted to get a feel not only for general interest in, but also for how much people would be willing to pay for a non-GSO knife.

It's all speculation on our part at this point.
I agree and also think they'd fly off the shelf. Still, maybe they wanted to get a feel not only for general interest in, but also for how much people would be willing to pay for a non-GSO knife.

There may also be some requirement from the production company. In order for this arrangement to move forward, Millit or Precision may have required a deposit from S!K. Machines have to be tooled appropriately to maximize efficiency of production, etc. Such things take time and money. *shrug* That's not really our business and not something I'd really expect S!K to share with customers unless powerfully put-upon to do so, and honestly it shouldn't be a matter of concern for us. What matters to us customers is progress toward product, and that is what we are all hoping to see very soon :)

There's an odd dearth of good options in the 6" length. I've had this same question. The Fiddleback Camp Knife looks very intriguing, but it is $350. It is also set up more as a chopper than as a longish companion knife like the GSO 6.

Bark River makes a bunch of knives in the 5.5 to 6" range. Some people have reservations about buying from them, but by and large there are many satisfied BRKT users out there. Look at a Bravo 1.5 to start. Comes in 3V, in two different widths.

Honestly, the ESEE 6 is a great option here. It is a great tool that really handles well, while not being mammoth.

Apart from my reservations about BRKT, the Bravo series has handle-issues - they are round, slippery, and straight-backed :thumbsdown: all bad, and the palm-swell really solve it. Add in the silly fin and :p Passed my Bravo 1 along many moons ago.

The ESEE-6 needs the TKC handle-upgrade, imo, and the grind is awfully thick for such a thin blade :( I passed mine along because it could not compare to the GSO 5.1 for performance, despite its superior size. Give it new handles and re-profile the edge, and then you are talking :thumbsup:

The Fiddleback Camp knife... I've been tempted, but just don't feel the need for that price. *shrug* But I have read good things :thumbsup:

What about the INFI Ratweiler? :)

There may also be some requirement from the production company. In order for this arrangement to move forward, Millit or Precision may have required a deposit from S!K. Machines have to be tooled appropriately to maximize efficiency of production, etc. Such things take time and money. *shrug* That's not really our business and not something I'd really expect S!K to share with customers unless powerfully put-upon to do so, and honestly it shouldn't be a matter of concern for us. What matters to us customers is progress toward product, and that is what we are all hoping to see very soon :)

I can certainly understand that Millit/Precision probably needed some up front capital to get things started and I wouldn't expect the team to share their detailed business plan on the overall procedure of this venture but maybe something a little more elaborate on the monthly production update as the SK line was major news a few months back. I've seen knives in either future production and or in house for finishing and still take well into a year or more before shipping out. The purpose of this line was to run simultaneous from my understanding allowing the team to put more focus on GSOs.

I can certainly understand that Millit/Precision probably needed some up front capital to get things started and I wouldn't expect the team to share their detailed business plan on the overall procedure of this venture but maybe something a little more elaborate on the monthly production update as the SK line was major news a few months back. I've seen knives in either future production and or in house for finishing and still take well into a year or more before shipping out. The purpose of this line was to run simultaneous from my understanding allowing the team to put more focus on GSOs.

Yup, should run simultaneous with each model as the blanks finish at HT. The August 11th instagram update put the 3.5s at blanks-cut-and-ready-for-grinding, so we'll have to wait until S!K has accomplished that part, then we'll have blanks-ground-and-ready-for-HT, and then we'll have to wait for those to start coming back before we see Millit/Precision-finished knives... Yup, still a long time out :oops:

I don't want to derail the purpose and or title of this thread but concerning the tweak they had to do on the 3.5, I assume that's been worked out already? I'm not on Instagram so I wouldn't be tracking anything outside of this forum, their updates and website or what I hear on FB. Thx

I don't want to derail the purpose and or title of this thread but concerning the tweak they had to do on the 3.5, I assume that's been worked out already? I'm not on Instagram so I wouldn't be tracking anything outside of this forum, their updates and website or what I hear on FB. Thx
Chiral's the expert but, given that the blanks have been cut and are ready for grinding, I'd say that's a fair assumption.

3.5" blade with 3.5mm stock. Can't wait to see the final product :)

There is a post in Instagram by millitknives showing the first SK-3.5 sample off the CNC grinder.

Re-embedding here - looks like they will be grinding these in-house and sending out for HT from there, so they may be ready much quicker than I thought per my post above!

millitknivesHoly crap we have been busy!! Ton of new projects in the works. One of those projects is working together with Guy from @surviveknives This is the very first sample off of the CNC Grinder, of his GSO 3.5 in 3V. Stay tuned for more progress pics!!

...it's actually a super hollow, replicates the grind done on a 14" wheel

21909395_120516651946175_1283558917804130304_n.jpg

WHY ON EARTH WOULD THEY USE A HOLLOW GRIND ON A GSO?!?!?!?!?!?!
Millit seems fully capable of producing a glorious flat saber grind from what I've seen on other knives. Did Guy request a change in design? Is the pic just a prototype?

To stay on topic, the FF camp knife has been on my radar for quite awhile. The price, leather sheath and former absence of a lanyard hole all turned me off, buy the knife itself looks like it could do so much.

Millit seems fully capable of producing a glorious flat saber grind from what I've seen on other knives. Did Guy request a change in design? Is the pic just a prototype?

It's a GSO, so I hope the IG post that was promised for this w/e includes a video comparing a 2.7 and a new 3.5 being pounded through some sheet metal... :)

It's a GSO, so I hope the IG post that was promised for this w/e includes a video comparing a 2.7 and a new 3.5 being pounded through some sheet metal...

I have a GSO 3.5 on order. If Guy or Ellie would kindly send me one of the earliest examples in fulfillment of that order, I will gladly pound it through the sheet metal for y'all :cool:

Somehow, I don't think my offer will be received as a generous one... Ellie, please don't put me to the back of the line! :D

To stay on topic, the FF camp knife has been on my radar for quite awhile. The price, leather sheath and former absence of a lanyard hole all turned me off, buy the knife itself looks like it could do so much.

FF Camp has a lanyard hole recessed in the butt / pommel. The length of the handle allows for a chopping grip or the ability to choke up for fine work. It is a really nice design that gives you a lot of options.

FF Camp has a lanyard hole recessed in the butt / pommel. The length of the handle allows for a chopping grip or the ability to choke up for fine work. It is a really nice design that gives you a lot of options.
Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the first run of the production line was missing a lanyard hole. Now that the camp knife has one it makes it that much harder to resist. The handle design is awesome. Well thought out and like you said long enough to be super versatile.

Back