Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good Morning Guardians

Chasing the sun! :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack.

If I put on skates my day would be over before it started! :D

Sometimes the beauty of Skoll catches me off guard. What incredible grain. :cool:

Have a great day Guardians.View attachment 1128131

LOL! :D Yes, me too Dwight! :D I doubt I could stand on roller-skates, and have never tried ice-skating - As a youth-worker, I remember taking a large group of teenagers ice-skating. I noticed that none of the other youth-workers got on the ice with the kids, and one of them warned me, "Unless you really know how to skate, don't get on the ice with those kids, you'll end up with a broken leg!" Probably good advice :D :thumbsup:

The DamLamb is keeping up with the beauty of nature. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks John :) :thumbsup:

Good morning, Guardians!
E4fp9Hd.jpg

Looking good Vince :thumbsup:

LOL! :D Yes, me too Dwight! :D I doubt I could stand on roller-skates, and have never tried ice-skating - As a youth-worker, I remember taking a large group of teenagers ice-skating. I noticed that none of the other youth-workers got on the ice with the kids, and one of them warned me, "Unless you really know how to skate, don't get on the ice with those kids, you'll end up with a broken leg!" Probably good advice :D :thumbsup:
I am forbidden to ice skate. My wife has seen me fall with roller skates, and even while walking on the jetties on Padre Island (they were very slippery!).

Nice pics guys :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy, that's a great tribute pic :thumbsup:

Thank you Preston :) I'm actually creating an internet 'hot spot' with my phone, and connecting my PC to it with Bluetooth. Fiddly, but not as fiddly as trying to do everything on my phone. I only have an 8GB data allowance though, so I need to sort out something else :thumbsup:

I enjoy all the photos posted here, sometimes use filters myself, or at least play around with the light levels :) We are lucky to have such great photographers as yourself my friend :thumbsup:

mmY63Am.jpg

LOL! :D I still didn't! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Yes, a real shame David :( The last couple of times I was in Malton, I was just passing through, but when I last visited properly, I noticed a few of the old pubs had closed. The place is definitely seeing gentrification. A good rail connection can be a curse to a small town these days, as well as a blessing :thumbsdown:

Lovely, colourful pic my friend :thumbsup:

Thank you Harvey, with the convoluted history typical to Sheffield cutlery manufacture, one can only learn so much about a knife from reading about the company whose name it bears, particularly when it comes to trying to date it. Really one needs to examine it in hand, but clear, unfiltered photos help, particularly of all parts of the knife, the joint, the blade well, etc (more convenient for discussion if they are not uploaded directly, so show as photos rather than links). My guess would be that your knife actually dates from the late 19th century, but I think it was almost certainly manufactured FOR Hunter's, by another quality Sheffield cutlers, rather than by the firm themselves. Sometimes forensic examination, and comparison to other knives from the same period, can give clues as to which firm or cutler might have made the knife, though generally it is not possible to tell. As with computers and search engines, for example, the better information you put in, the better information you are likely to get out ;) :thumbsup:

The Pale Rider seems to be getting paler Jose! :D :) :thumbsup:

Great stuff Steve, hope they're nice ones, I do think it's pretty cool they make left-handed models :thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words Dwight, and for yet another fantastic pic :) :thumbsup:

Glad it made it OK Joshua :thumbsup:

The first thing I thought about, when I heard, was @OLd_gUY 's post just the other day :( :thumbsup:

The nose of the blade is a tad more pinchable, and also the longer blade makes them easier to open I think :) :thumbsup:

Cool pics Vince :) :thumbsup:

Is that happening here Joshua? :eek: Horn is affected by atmospheric conditions such as temperature and humidity. The only problem I've had myself is when I left a couple of horn knives out in very strong sunlight, so they got HOT to the touch. The horn started to peel away from the liners, but a couple of weeks later, the horn was back to how it was before. Joshua, if you check the index, there's a whole load of posts on looking after horn, I know that a couple of members here have had problems in the past, probably because of where they live. Horn is beautiful, but I probably wouldn't use it again for a Guardians knife, for example, simply because our members live in very different places in terms of the climate and weather :thumbsup:

Thanks pal :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, it's only taken me an hour to get through everyone's post today, but still, I better get my skates on, and get moving. Nice sunny day here today, hope everyone's week is going OK :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack for putting so much effort into this, as well as my “old man” grumblings. It’s like being in a Lambsfoot and its’ History Master Class. I apologize for my grumblings. Nice Lambsfoot in Nature “painting.” Your Image of your fine Damascus Lambsfoot needs no filter. Hope your therapy visits were helpful. I also hope your connection issues are working toward resolution.

@Foddering -I’m with you, Dwight. If I were to get on skates...That will no longer ever happen. Always a fine view of your Damascus Lambsfoot.

Jack Black Jack Black I forgot to mention that the M. Hunter does have 1/2 stops.

Good Morning Guardians

Along with the M. Hunter, I also received this William Roger Lambsfoot.
C1B422B9-469D-4067-BBDF-213027A58434.jpeg

322B1099-E8B8-4F65-A596-20DB90B5B65E.jpeg

I am forbidden to ice skate. My wife has seen me fall with roller skates, and even while walking on the jetties on Padre Island (they were very slippery!).

I have gone up in the air a few times myself Vince, and am now getting a bit old for that kind of thing! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Better to play it safe.
dZ6kgYr.jpg

Definitely! :D :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack for putting so much effort into this, as well as my “old man” grumblings. It’s like being in a Lambsfoot and its’ History Master Class. I apologize for my grumblings. Nice Lambsfoot in Nature “painting.” Your Image of your fine Damascus Lambsfoot needs no filter. Hope your therapy visits were helpful. I also hope your connection issues are working toward resolution.

@Foddering -I’m with you, Dwight. If I were to get on skates...That will no longer ever happen. Always a fine view of your Damascus Lambsfoot.

Jack Black Jack Black I forgot to mention that the M. Hunter does have 1/2 stops.

Good Morning Guardians

Along with the M. Hunter, I also received this William Roger Lambsfoot.
View attachment 1128243

View attachment 1128244

I didn't think that was grumbling Harvey! :D I'm from Yorkshire - if they ever make grumbling into an Olympic sport, I reckon we could beat the world! :D :thumbsup:

That's a nice William Rodgers my friend, it gives me an excuse to show mine (I have a third I need to photograph) ;) :D The knives were made by John Clark, who having acquired the defunct William Rodgers mark, used it as a stand-alone brand, with considerable success :thumbsup:

TfGAIu0.jpg

9Y8X202.jpg

I have gone up in the air a few times myself Vince, and am now getting a bit old for that kind of thing! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Definitely! :D :thumbsup:

I didn't think that was grumbling Harvey! :D I'm from Yorkshire - if they ever make grumbling into an Olympic sport, I reckon we could beat the world! :D :thumbsup:

That's a nice William Rodgers my friend, it gives me an excuse to show mine (I have a third I need to photograph) ;) :D The knives were made by John Clark, who having acquired the defunct William Rodgers mark, used it as a stand-alone brand, with considerable success :thumbsup:

TfGAIu0.jpg

9Y8X202.jpg
I guess the grumbling was the voice in my head.:) That is a beautiful double bladed example, as well as the Ebony single blade. I wonder why the Rodgers was changed to Rogers.

Today arrived the "18", plus a very practical plastic box, a very beautiful Yorkshire photo guide, postcard, pin and coin also made the knife company. Many thanks for your dedication Jack!:D:thumbsup:

124bg2q.jpg

This "18" is really a wonder, I love it, thank you again Jack.

346n98z.jpg
1z1eglt.jpg
eq9ifc.jpg
28jyvs7.jpg

Sorry for the long-delayed response, Harry. No “England” on the tang. Both blades are marked Unity over Sheffield. Closed is about 3 7/8” and OAL is about 6 13/16, though maybe lost a little to a rounded tip over the years.
1CC243D7-CE71-4994-8916-2122B1136FC1.jpeg DCD70CDD-CCF2-4640-B770-53312BAAFA01.jpeg 73F9B4D7-73A5-4CBE-8F44-8C6592DC7D86.jpeg
That is a very interesting old Unity Lambfoot . I have not read all the other post yet , but I hope someone has asked for dimensions and does it have " ENGLAND " on the tang below SHEFFIELD ?
To me , it is a very beautiful Lambfoot my friend . Thank you very much for showing it !!! :):):):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Harry

Today arrived the "18", plus a very practical plastic box, a very beautiful Yorkshire photo guide, postcard, pin and coin also made the knife company. Many thanks for your dedication Jack!:D:thumbsup:

124bg2q.jpg

346n98z.jpg
1z1eglt.jpg
eq9ifc.jpg
28jyvs7.jpg
Congratulations, Jose. Lovely bunch of gifts.

Sorry for the long-delayed response, Harry. No “England” on the tang. Both blades are marked Unity over Sheffield. Closed is about 3 7/8” and OAL is about 6 13/16, though maybe lost a little to a rounded tip over the years.
View attachment 1128323 View attachment 1128325 View attachment 1128327
Thanks for showing it and giving the dimensions Mike . That is just a very fine old Lambfoot . IMO it has everything going for it . Carry it in good health my friend .

Harry

I guess the grumbling was the voice in my head.:) That is a beautiful double bladed example, as well as the Ebony single blade. I wonder why the Rodgers was changed to Rogers.

It's usually the voice in my stomach ;) :D That one was a generous gift from Charlie @waynorth :) While it looks like dark wood, the other actually has buffalo horn covers (the third is the same, but with covers of compressed fibre). I think it actually says 'RODGERS' Harvey, you just need a stronger loupe ;) :thumbsup:

124bg2q.jpg

346n98z.jpg
1z1eglt.jpg
eq9ifc.jpg
28jyvs7.jpg

Glad it made it Jose - and the card too! :D The plastic box was just to protect the knife in transit :) Hope you enjoy your ebony '18 my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack, but I do not think she's going to be any paler now, paler now only if she's polished!;):thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

View attachment 1128323 View attachment 1128325 View attachment 1128327

Great-looking knife, the mark was used by a series of co-operative cutlery companies. Nothing high-end about them, but they made good knives. I always buy them when I can :) Booth @Cambertree and me have one :)The absence of 'England' has no relevance I'm afraid :thumbsup:

MAXdkCF.jpg

Just dropped in to post. I gotta run some more errands so I catch up with y’all later! :thumbsup: :)

46015669214_a75a76f365_b_d.jpg

Good to see your meat and potatoes knife Ron :) :thumbsuup:

Jer, are you sure that's just plain fresh air they inhaled? They look like they met ET during the last stroll. Or found some fungus?

:D :thumbsup:

124bg2q.jpg

346n98z.jpg
1z1eglt.jpg
eq9ifc.jpg
28jyvs7.jpg
NICE, the 18 Guardian knife was my first Lambfoot and I instantly fell in love with the pattern!

Back