Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thank you Harvey! It is nice to know you enjoy reading about some of the interesting people that would show up at the barber shop and brighten my day. I have days when these stories might read as though they have been encrypted by an Enigma machine ... I am learning the value of proofreading and editing.
Here is a link to the bravest man's find a grave entry.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/105831120/charles-quandt
Without a doubt, “The Greatest Generation.”

@WhittlinAway Thank you Greg.:thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black Thank you Jack.:thumbsup:

OK...You got me. What is “Frog Marching?”:)

Good morning Ron and morning to all. Have a great week!View attachment 1150236
Thanks Dwight! A beautiful Lambsfoot my friend! :thumbsup: :)

Good morning, Ron. Lovely picture. :) :thumbsup:
Thank you John! A big :thumbsup: and congratulations to your son! I know how proud you are my friend! :D

As I stated in the totin thread, beautiful stag Harvey! :thumbsup: :)

It may not have a lot of bark, but I always enjoy seeing the stag on that knife Ron :) :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack! It doesn’t have any bark, but it has bite, and a certain character of its own! :thumbsup: :)

dc50 dc50 "HC I'm more of pubs and pie guy :p"
I hate to admit to it, but, Doc says a new knee is in my future so my hiking and pheasant hunting have been curtailed of late. I really miss watching the dogs work.

"I'm pretty sure they would scoff at the mention of a station wagon:rolleyes: I also believe at least 70% or more vehicles around here would be SUV's/Station wagons.;)"
It seems the sedans and coupes are fading away. Most of the vehicles we see that are not commercial carriers are SUVs and pickup trucks.

"The good old days, when I started my apprenticeship at 16 I drove dads tractor to town until I had saved enough up for my first car, a 58 VW Beetle.:)"
Years ago I had an Allis Chalmers WD-45 and I pulled a one thousand gallon water tank about three miles to water some newly planted trees on a property that once belonged to my grandmother. It took quite some time on the level and going up the hills, BUT, when you disengaged the clutch at the downhill side of a peak and that 1,000 gallons of water you could hit about 40 mph! Once was enough of that trick. With a 5/8" hose on the tank it would take about four evenings after work watering those newly planted trees to get the tank emptied. The drive out took so long with the full tank I would walk back into town until the tank was empty ... I spent my summer doing that. To my surprise 90% of the seedling survived.

Jack Black Jack Black "I can remember my mother taking me to the barbers for a crew-cut when I was three HC. It wasn't the first time I'd been, but I can't remember the earlier visits. They had a seat that fitted on top of the standard barber's chairs for kids, and I remember the barber saying to my mother that, if I kept growing at the same rate, I wouldn't need the seat next time. Money must have got tighter though, because I remember my mother cut my hair for a few years after that, she did my dad's too. We were at a wedding one time, and that same barber was there. He used to cut my dad's hair, but hadn't seem him for a bit. He asked my dad, "I hope you don't mind my asking, but who's cutting your hair now?" :D Most of my school friends went to a notorious local Italian barber called Claudio. When their hair started getting a bit long, their mothers would frog-march them to see Claudio, who cut hair with a pair of scissors in each hand. It didn't matter what style they asked for, they got scalped! :D When I was about 8 or 9, I started going to the barber's again, the shop is still there :thumbsup:"
I distinctly remember my first barber shop haircut. Mom cut my hair until I was 16 years old and then Uncle Roger took over. When times are tough many a mom got drafted into the hair cutting duty. Back in the 1980's (I am guessing here) a device called the FloBee was being sold and it hooked up to a vacuum and then cut the hair off somehow with spinning blades. Many were sold and they are still available. https://www.flowbee.com/ The unsuspecting didn't know that the part of a haircut that stands out the most and is the most difficult to make look good is the outline. Some of the barbers in town would charge 3 or 4 times more than what a haircut cost to repair a bad haircut. I always charged the regular price thinking the mom felt bad enough and she had something she would likely throw out. Most of the mom's became new and loyal customers along with their kids, I think they appreciated not being taken to the cleaners as mom used to say. Sometimes you could figure out who bought or borrowed or retrieved from the neighbor's trash bin a "like new" FloBee.
When money is tight barbers income came drop drastically overnight. The first British invasion since the War of 1812 really hit barbers hard here in the USA and I suspect the same thing took place in the UK and Canada! When the lads from Liverpool serenaded the ladies of North America the die was cast and the young men knew a change was in the air if they expected to have a date on Friday night. I once read somewhere that only 1 of 9 barbers that were cutting hair when the Beetles arrived were cutting hair 10 years later. Obviously some of them retired in that window into the past, but, imagine if 8 out every 9 Doctors or mechanics or factory workers, et. al. lost their livelihood in a ten year span. Depending on the group, it could devastate a nations economy.

IxfyaJm.jpg

Interesting to read these barbering stories, and to see a photo of you, José! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I used to have kind of long hair, and would go to national chain hair stylists or to cosmetology schools for haircuts; my wife often wasn't pleased with the results. So at least 10 years ago, I decided to buy clippers for the cost of 2 haircuts, and go with the buzz cut look my Dad always gave me in pre-teen years. I'm apparently not as talented as several of you are; I don't think I could cut my own hair well, even with the clippers. My wife has always done it for me every 6-8 weeks since I got the clippers. Like Jack, I always had her use the No.2 guard on my entire scalp, but somehow we seem to have lost that attachment in the past year. So now I have to go with #1 (drastic summer cut) or #3 (not quite as big a shock when I look in the mirror afterwards, but it needs cutting again much sooner).

Thanks Gary, I always cut my hair with comb # 1 of the machine and I do it normally every 15 days, now in the Summer I do it every 8 days!:cool::thumbsup:

Very cool Taylor :cool: I buy old bottle-opener whenever I can, usually gift them to folks here :thumbsup:

Yikes! :eek: :D My granddad cut my hair a couple of times with one of these things when I was a kid, basically a comb with a couple of blunt razor-blades inside! :eek:

That's a great pic my friend, I love the translucent horn on the Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

Smashing stag Dwight, there seems to be a real variety on the Barlows :) :thumbsup:

Great effort Dennis, and thanks a lot buddy :) Always a treat to see your '19 :) :thumbsup:

:) :thumbsup:

Great first post Jim, welcome to The Porch :) :thumbsup:

Nice pic David, where's it taken? :thumbsup:

It may not have a lot of bark, but I always enjoy seeing the stag on that knife Ron :) :thumbsup:

:) :thumbsup:

I can remember my mother taking me to the barbers for a crew-cut when I was three HC. It wasn't the first time I'd been, but I can't remember the earlier visits. They had a seat that fitted on top of the standard barber's chairs for kids, and I remember the barber saying to my mother that, if I kept growing at the same rate, I wouldn't need the seat next time. Money must have got tighter though, because I remember my mother cut my hair for a few years after that, she did my dad's too. We were at a wedding one time, and that same barber was there. He used to cut my dad's hair, but hadn't seem him for a bit. He asked my dad, "I hope you don't mind my asking, but who's cutting your hair now?" :D Most of my school friends went to a notorious local Italian barber called Claudio. When their hair started getting a bit long, their mothers would frog-march them to see Claudio, who cut hair with a pair of scissors in each hand. It didn't matter what style they asked for, they got scalped! :D When I was about 8 or 9, I started going to the barber's again, the shop is still there :thumbsup:

That stag has some great character Dwight, excellent pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

Well done John :thumbsup:

Thanks John, late afternoon here, and I'm hoping things get quieter ;) Thanks for the compliment my friend :) :thumbsup:

Good stuff Kevin :) :thumbsup:

Congratulations John, thanks for the vids :) Great pic of your Hartshead too :thumbsup:

I'm glad that wasn't the case with me. My brother wasn't so lucky! :D :D :thumbsup:

Fabulous Harvey :) :thumbsup:
Jack I got the idea to carry that old opener because of the ones you post!

Back