Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I think they're a lot bolder than they used to be, this feller has been parking up right in the centre of Holmfirth the past few years (between the main road and the market) :rolleyes:

JPSVglS.jpg

Crikey! Tourist tame obviously. :)

It does! :D And the Sweet William :D :thumbsup:

Now I've heard of a Sweet William but don't know what one is. I wonder if it also mentions a 'Penang Lawyer'?:cool:

Overpriced and underwhelming :(

Welcome to Cheshire... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

oops almost forgot.
48982900362_e22b528005_h.jpg

That hound has a hungry look in it's eye...:D

Great looking mutt. Bet she is a loyal mate.:thumbsup:

All mutts are loyal. Until you leave that pork pie/sauasges/steak unattended for 2 minutes...

Morning Guardians. Needing some coffee while waiting for the garage repair guy...

ASdV8uj.jpg

Got a call on the way home last night, wife's car stuck in the garage. Cable snapped on one side, then the arm ripped off the top. Not looking forward to the bill :(

tpoFN92.jpg

Over here it's usually the springs that fail. Prolly 'cos there made out of recycled frying pans. :rolleyes:

Hi Guardians, hope everyone is having a good day :) I was up bright and early to go to the market this morning. Thought this item, shown with my Hartshead Barlow, was interesting, and wondered if anyone has seen one before (not looking for guesses as to its purpose, only knowledge, thanks)?

09dg5fl.jpg

The smaller part rotates, and when the numbers are aligned with the arrow, the relevant hole matches up with the hole on the larger piece :thumbsup:

6U1kiVd.jpg

DGMaNvL.jpg

Sort of wild-arsed semi-educated guess here but is it an adjustable aperture off an old slide projector or camera?

Great knives everyone. For me it's been my rosewood keeping me company for the past couple of days.
On my walk yesterday.
LG0zXEn.jpg

lUHE7Sz.jpg

p4VjTQa.jpg

c7e8sjB.jpg

I could of stayed out here all night.
1jKDbUr.jpg

Great pics, enjoyed catching up with the Guardians on my lunch hour.
Now back to work , it's paperwork and lot's of bureaucratic government protocols for the rest of my afternoon :)
But I have something special to share later today :)

That doesn't sound like fun Dan, hope you didn't have to work too hard :) :thumbsup:

Hello Guardians! Today my carries have included my Rosewood Hartshead Barlow SFO. I hope y'all are having a great day! :):thumbsup:

48606230522_8e4e2da3dd_o.jpg

Looking good Ron :) :thumbsup:

Linus the Lambsfoot and I headed over to another local establishment for lunch: burger, fries, and a Coke.
6rA6Cb2.jpg

What could be more American? Well, that's Mexican Coke (with cane sugar!), and I'm at a neat little Mexican restaurant called "Mariachi House of Burgers."
Dmp0JLE.jpg

Great burgers here. I put some Texas Pete hot sauce (from North Carolina!) on mine today, and ordered it with mustard, tomatoes, and onions. Sometimes I ask for jalapeños. They also have great enchiladas, tacos, etc. And Tex-Mex breakfasts, although I haven't tried them yet.

Linus is really getting the red carpet treatment Vince :) :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I must have done something right in a past life, because they've been and gone and the invoice was astonishingly lower than expected (although I could have gotten another nice Lambsfoot instead). Door's good as new, and the wife and I are going out for dinner tonight :D

Good news Mike, hope you have a great dinner :) :thumbsup:

Crikey! Tourist tame obviously. :)

Now I've heard of a Sweet William but don't know what one is. I wonder if it also mentions a 'Penang Lawyer'?:cool:

Welcome to Cheshire... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

All mutts are loyal. Until you leave that pork pie/sauasges/steak unattended for 2 minutes...

Over here it's usually the springs that fail. Prolly 'cos there made out of recycled frying pans. :rolleyes:

Sort of wild-arsed semi-educated guess here but is it an adjustable aperture off an old slide projector or camera?

Great knives everyone. For me it's been my rosewood keeping me company for the past couple of days.
On my walk yesterday.
LG0zXEn.jpg

lUHE7Sz.jpg

p4VjTQa.jpg

c7e8sjB.jpg

I could of stayed out here all night.
1jKDbUr.jpg

They might have it chained down! :eek:

I'm only halfway through, but not heard 'Penang Lawyer' yet! :D :thumbsup:

That was one of my thoughts too David :cool: I've just been Google image searching for the past couple of hours, but haven't turned up anything quite like it yet. I do think it is designed to be mounted to something, and to control flow of something. My guess was light because of the very small hole. I shall investigate further! ;) :thumbsup:

What a great day for a good walk, and a fantastic place to do it my friend :) Hard to believe it's not in Yorkshire! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I grew up on the Western side of Sheffield on the very road (A625) that goes from Sheffield to Castleton. My dad didn't drive, but there was a regular and inexpensive bus service going right past my parents house. In the 40 years they lived there, my father only went there once (with another short trip to Hathersage in my uncle's car). I was pre-school at the time, and the bus was one of the old ones with the open door at the back (like the London Routemaster), but the 272 route had a door fitted, so it could be swung to in winter.

Bus-web.jpg

Having seen The Adventures of Robin Hood I was very excited to see my first real castle, which was our first destination on arriving in Castleton. In those days, it was owned by a local farmer, and there was an honesty box at the bottom of the steep hill. It was quite a climb for a young lad, but I got to the top expecting to see something straight out of Hollywood, and was sorely disappointed by what I found! :D It's an impressive fortress, but I have only climbed the hill a couple of times since I think, the next time being on a Junior School trip, when I also purchased a knife from the nearby Treak Cliff Cavern :) Of course I have spent many thousands of hours walking and climbing nearby though ;) Great pics David :thumbsup:

Hello Guardians, I am very happy to share my mail call today :)
My ebony lamb will not be so lonely anymore:thumbsup: Love my new Hartshead Barlow SFO and my new African Rosewood Lambs !!!:thumbsup:
Thanks you Jack !
eHvdGFT.jpg

adQeOeX.jpg

The three Amigos :D
5HGjTOl.jpg

I'm glad they reached you safe and sound Dan, and in relatively fast time :) Wonderful photos, as always :) :thumbsup:

@JTB_5 - Always nice to hear from you. Hope all is well.

@Ramrodmb - Thank you for the nice words, Mark. That solid brass lock set is a work of art. So is your Hartshead Barlow. Thank you for show and tell.

@Crazy Canuck - Sorry for your garage door hassles. I can almost smell the wonderful aroma of the beans as I look at you beautiful Hartshead Barlow.

Jack Black Jack Black - Have no idea what those doohickies are, but am certain that your Hartshead is smashing.

Good Afternoon Guardians.

I love snow, especially in October.:mad:
3F1B7861-124E-49E0-922C-B0F872B7E972_zpsxdhkji7x.jpeg

Hello Guardians, I am very happy to share my mail call today :)
My ebony lamb will not be so lonely anymore:thumbsup: Love my new Hartshead Barlow SFO and my new African Rosewood Lambs !!!:thumbsup:
Thanks you Jack !
eHvdGFT.jpg

adQeOeX.jpg

The three Amigos :D
5HGjTOl.jpg

What an excellent gift! Though I hope Leeds is connected by now.

I'm only halfway through, but not heard 'Penang Lawyer' yet! :D :thumbsup:
A stout walking stick, referenced in 'Hound of the Baskervilles'. :)
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/penang-lawyer

I always liked the rather general term of 'life preserver'. Not a lifejacket but anything specifically made to thwack n'er do wells about the skull. :D

That was one of my thoughts too David :cool: I've just been Google image searching for the past couple of hours, but haven't turned up anything quite like it yet. I do think it is designed to be mounted to something, and to control flow of something. My guess was light because of the very small hole. I shall investigate further! ;) :thumbsup:

The reason I thought of that is because for the past few weeks I've been watching an old 1970's show; 'The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes'
If you watch the first 10 seconds of this you'll maybe see a similarity.

What a great day for a good walk, and a fantastic place to do it my friend :) Hard to believe it's not in Yorkshire! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I grew up on the Western side of Sheffield on the very road (A625) that goes from Sheffield to Castleton. My dad didn't drive, but there was a regular and inexpensive bus service going right past my parents house. In the 40 years they lived there, my father only went there once (with another short trip to Hathersage in my uncle's car). I was pre-school at the time, and the bus was one of the old ones with the open door at the back (like the London Routemaster), but the 272 route had a door fitted, so it could be swung to in winter.

Bus-web.jpg

Having seen The Adventures of Robin Hood I was very excited to see my first real castle, which was our first destination on arriving in Castleton. In those days, it was owned by a local farmer, and there was an honesty box at the bottom of the steep hill. It was quite a climb for a young lad, but I got to the top expecting to see something straight out of Hollywood, and was sorely disappointed by what I found! :D It's an impressive fortress, but I have only climbed the hill a couple of times since I think, the next time being on a Junior School trip, when I also purchased a knife from the nearby Treak Cliff Cavern :) Of course I have spent many thousands of hours walking and climbing nearby though ;) Great pics David :thumbsup:

Doors? On'th buses? In'th Yorkshire?? In'th winter??! Tha' gorn' soft me lad? :D
It's actually a nice old ruin and the views are great; the only disappointment was how much English Heritage charge for entry. :rolleyes: Especially as you couldn't even get into the actual Keep because of the inevitable 'restoration works'. :rolleyes:
It's great walking round there isn't it. I plan on returning to do the caverns which I last visited when I was at school.

Better than rain. Great shot!

Last edited:
Jack Black Jack Black - Have no idea what those doohickies are, but am certain that your Hartshead is smashing.

Thanks Harvey, I also wondered if it might be to control the amount of air going into a wood stove, but I think the very small hole would count against that. I hope I can find out, it's driving me crazy! :D Yikes, you got snow?! :eek: Still it made for a great pic of that vintage beauty :D ;) :thumbsup:

I'm glad they reached you safe and sound Dan, and in relatively fast time :) Wonderful photos, as always :) :thumbsup:

Congratulations on the wonderful package, Dan.

What an excellent gift! Though I hope Leeds is connected by now.

Thank you Guardians :thumbsup:, I am ecstatic now with my little flock :)

I'm not expecting a lot of trick-or-treaters. It's been raining since yesterday, it's 35 and falling, and the rain has turned to snow. Coldest and wettest Halloween I remember.
FPA70y6.jpg

Same here, raining pretty hard. I heard on the radio that in Quebec they were postponing hallowing in some cities :D

So I could not go walking today, but it turns out my new Rosewood also has special powers. It took me an a tour of Yorkshire this afternoon :)
"A Walk in Nature" :D
UpEizdk.jpg

I'm not expecting a lot of trick-or-treaters. It's been raining since yesterday, it's 35 and falling, and the rain has turned to snow. Coldest and wettest Halloween I remember.
FPA70y6.jpg

Crikey! Your right though. Over in the UK we've had a very early autumn. It either means were heading for a brutal winter or we'll all be in our shorts and t-shirts on Christmas Day.

So I could not go walking today, but it turns out my new Rosewood also has special powers. It took me an a tour of Yorkshire this afternoon :)
"A Walk in Nature" :D
UpEizdk.jpg

Wow! That's a great view of Swaledale you captured there! And blue sky to! :D

flatblackcapo flatblackcapo - Dang!!!! Can't figure out which one looks the most appealing - Dog, Chow, Chips, or Knife. Well going along with the theme of this thread, I gotta say the knife but the chow and chips are a close second and the dog seems to think so too.:)

Cool pic. Love it!:thumbsup:

flatbackcapo - love your old Companion in the background, a girl? and how old is she? This photo made me laugh - when the food comes out - so do out wee furry friends :) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great looking mutt. Bet she is a loyal mate.:thumbsup:

Very cool pic :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments, fellas. Rilley says thanks too.
Duncan, Yep, Rilley is a girl. I don't really now how old she is but I have had her for about 9 years and my buddy had her for a couple before that. So she has some years on her but she is still going strong.
Ed, those chips were pretty good. :D
Mark, thanks, she kind of photo bombed me.:D
Cudgee, thanks, she is a super loyal pooch.
Thanks, Jack. Like I told marks she kind of photo bombed me...I figured if she was going to just stand there I might as well get her in frame too. :D
David, this dog can hear a ziplock bag open from a mile away and smell steak from 2. :D

48988214818_53366e8d81_h.jpg

Good evening all. And a happy Halloween to my friends in the northern hemisphere, and hope everyone has a happy and safe weekend. Been waiting for a parcel to arrive, and it was in my mailbox this morning. A couple of lambs to add to my flock, i shouted myself a few culinary indulgences for my birthday, so thought i should show a couple of them for your expert opinions, take care and enjoy your weekend.:)
t4OnZwK.jpg

Fantastic pic John :) :thumbsup:
Thanks you, Jack.

Good evening all. And a happy Halloween to my friends in the northern hemisphere, and hope everyone has a happy and safe weekend. Been waiting for a parcel to arrive, and it was in my mailbox this morning. A couple of lambs to add to my flock, i shouted myself a few culinary indulgences for my birthday, so thought i should show a couple of them for your expert opinions, take care and enjoy your weekend.:)
t4OnZwK.jpg
Those wood handles are very nice.
What's the bottom one made from?

Back