Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Just spotted this Chinese-made Gerber Straightlace slipjoint. Not remotely traditional, so I've cropped the pic. Gerber are calling the blade a Sheepsfoot, which it certainly isn't. Certainly not a Lambsfoot either, but it's interesting to see how many similar blade shapes are appearing (sometimes called a 'Reverse Tanto').

p5MpybB.jpg

Just spotted this Chinese-made Gerber Straightlace slipjoint. Not remotely traditional, so I've cropped the pic. Gerber are calling the blade a Sheepsfoot, which it certainly isn't. Certainly not a Lambsfoot either, but it's interesting to see how many similar blade shapes are appearing (sometimes called a 'Reverse Tanto').

p5MpybB.jpg
I'm seeing a number of similarly shaped blades on modern knives these days. I'd describe it as a sheep/lambsfoot with a gentle upward curve to the edge, and I don't hate it for slicing. :cool::thumbsup: There doesn't seem to be much agreement on what to call it. Not a lambsfoot, though.

For me, the #1 feature that makes a lambsfoot a lambsfoot is a straight edge.
Cv8yNKt.jpg

GOOD MORNING GUARDIANS !

I am pleased to report I had a good night sleep.
On our way now to drop our puppy at the vet (that has just reopened ) for his overdue “ fixing” lol

ZuNLY84.jpg

4VdaA51.jpg

That's good news Dan :) Stunning photos :) :thumbsup:

I'm seeing a number of similarly shaped blades on modern knives these days. I'd describe it as a sheep/lambsfoot with a gentle upward curve to the edge, and I don't hate it for slicing. :cool::thumbsup: There doesn't seem to be much agreement on what to call it. Not a lambsfoot, though.

Cv8yNKt.jpg

I'm sure it works well Rachel, but, no, definitely not a Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

Cv8yNKt.jpg
I was going to say "like my YSL Schnitt vom Morgen", but that has a straight edge. And it's a couple decades old, not that modern.
Otherwise, a perfect example of what you were talking about.
This isn't it:
VokA4jk.jpg

"LAMBSFOOT" is relatively new to my vocabulary, even though I have been accumulating cutlery for decades. Digging through my treasures, I have only come upon one specimen worthy of display here. It's a little lacking for condition, but it's long on history: JPEG_20200608_233921_4919607508159908508.jpg
JPEG_20200608_234035_1906400868723481641.jpg
JPEG_20200608_234135_4613685712058236735.jpg
JPEG_20200608_234308_8383693511394450250.jpg
Thanks for watching! T-A

I was going to say "like my YSL Schnitt vom Morgen", but that has a straight edge. And it's a couple decades old, not that modern.
This isn't it:
VokA4jk.jpg
Hmm. You bring up an interesting question.
I just declared that "For me, the #1 feature that makes a lambsfoot a lambsfoot is a straight edge." and yet...
On a lambfoot with some wear, is it necessary to reestablish that perfect straight edged point? It would involve removing more steel and shortening the life of the blade. o_O

"LAMBSFOOT" is relatively new to my vocabulary, even though I have been accumulating cutlery for decades. Digging through my treasures, I have only come upon one specimen worthy of display here. It's a little lacking for condition, but it's long on history: View attachment 1355645
View attachment 1355646
View attachment 1355647
View attachment 1355648
Thanks for watching! T-A
Nice!

This isn't it:
VokA4jk.jpg

I have seen a few examples with straight edges. Is that your Big 'Un Jer, looks good? :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians

:D :thumbsup:

"LAMBSFOOT" is relatively new to my vocabulary, even though I have been accumulating cutlery for decades. Digging through my treasures, I have only come upon one specimen worthy of display here. It's a little lacking for condition, but it's long on history: View attachment 1355645
View attachment 1355646
View attachment 1355647
View attachment 1355648
Thanks for watching! T-A

Nice TEW, welcome to the Guardians T-A :thumbsup:

Hmm. You bring up an interesting question.
I just declared that "For me, the #1 feature that makes a lambsfoot a lambsfoot is a straight edge." and yet...
On a lambfoot with some wear, is it necessary to reestablish that perfect straight edged point? It would involve removing more steel and shortening the life of the blade. o_O

I still enjoy carrying and using my old Lambsfoot knives with worn edges, such as this Alfred Blackwell below, but once the straight edge and the point are gone, they're just nowhere near as useful, in my opinion :( :thumbsup:

DWQViZH.jpg

Good morning Guardians! I’m carrying my William Rodgers this morning! Hope y’all have a great day! :) :thumbsup:

49987803206_36dc3afabc_o_d.jpg

Great to see that William Rodgers again Ron :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nice historical photo, FBC, and the 2-tone horn is one of my favorites among your lambsfoot knives! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Is the car a German model?
Betty!! Bam-ba-Lamb!! :thumbsup::):thumbsup:
Are you left-handed, FBC? I learned a few guitar chords, once upon a time, and my daughter played violin for many years while I "supervised" practice, so I know a little about stringed instruments, and the strings under Betty look backwards! ;)
Thanks, GT.
The toy car is a Trabant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant
My guitar is strung juuuust fine, it's all the others that are strung backwards. ;)

Thanks for the fly-past Kevin! :D Great pic :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack.
Cool video. I work out by the airport and there is a guy that has a Russian Mig ( I think ) and takes it out for some passes every once in awhile. I will see if I can catch a video of it one day.

49975634586_32d8b2bab1_h.jpg

Thanks, Jack.
Cool video. I work out by the airport and there is a guy that has a Russian Mig ( I think ) and takes it out for some passes every once in awhile. I will see if I can catch a video of it one day.

49975634586_32d8b2bab1_h.jpg

A Mig?! Wow! :cool: Your Lambsfoot is looking VERY cool too Kevin :cool: Is that a Paladin Press title? :D ;) :thumbsup:

Had a hard rain yesterday. This barrel floated down the street in front of our house.

Good grief! :eek: That's a HARD rain! :eek: Nice pic of your Lambsfoot Les :thumbsup:

On a lambfoot with some wear, is it necessary to reestablish that perfect straight edged point? It would involve removing more steel and shortening the life of the blade.
Here's something else I think we should worry about: if we keep Flitzing off our patinas and starting over, how long till we dissolve our blades like the seax of Grendel's dam?

I have seen a few examples with straight edges. Is that your Big 'Un Jer, looks good?
Yup: Rose Beast, from Jack Black.

Thank you good sir, great to see you here :) I always thought that was a great-looking knife, and he looks good with his friends :thumbsup: The purpose of my giveaway was to let someone who has expressed an interest in the pattern, but not yet been able to get hold of one, try out a Lambsfoot. Since Meako has already had at least one Lambsfoot knife, and (based on his giveaway post) did not appear to like it, I'm not sure he qualifies, but I'm willing to be persuaded :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack, Kermit did turn out OK. IIRC the reasons Kermit was in @meako 's give away was his anemic color and both blades were locked up pretty tight, nothing to do with the pattern AFAIK.

Back