Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Interesting information, and I'm so glad that you were around at the end of the Sheffield cutlery era to visit the last cutlers and hear the stories from those who worked in the trade.

Looking back my friend, I wish I had taken notes at my grandmother's knee with all I could have learned. Cutlery was everywhere back then, and as I have said before, as a young boy, when I heard the old folks talking about Tommy Ward, Joe Elliot, etc I thought they were talking about relatives! :D In my late teens, I lived near the TEW factory, and used to pass by it twice a day. It was incredible to see the number of blokes going in there of a morning. I am glad to have seen what I have seen, but if I could go back, I'd learn a lot more, and I would certainly have bought a lot more knives! :D :thumbsup:

RALF is finally getting used to our new digs here in sunny Florida, and agreed to a photo shoot. :D

pT0e6to.jpg

Qx99bdF.jpg

Fr3qJLN.jpg

L3vwCJy.jpg

RALF is finally getting used to our new digs here in sunny Florida, and agreed to a photo shoot. :D

pT0e6to.jpg

Qx99bdF.jpg

Fr3qJLN.jpg

L3vwCJy.jpg

Great pics Jeff, that looks a lot nicer than grim, grey, Yorkshire today! :D I hope you'll all be very happy there :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Chief! That stout looks richer than the Queen's jewelry chest! Can you finish a whole one at a sitting?????

This is my newest addition, it was in pretty rough shape when I found it.
lKLmLIX.jpg

Good morning everyone. I'm not sure this little guy started life as a lambfoot but I measured the blade width at tang and at tip. The blade is close to 1 mm wider at the tang. Tang stamp is Richlands over Sheffield over England, there is a old fashioned lamp post running thru the middle of all three and forming the "l" in Richlands.

Last edited:
This is my newest addition, it was in pretty rough shape when I found it.
lKLmLIX.jpg

Good morning everyone. I'm not sure this little guy started life as a lambfoot but I measured the blade width at tang and at tip. The blade is close to 1 mm wider at the tang. Tang stamp is Richlands over Sheffield over England, there is a old fashioned lamp post running thru the middle of all three and forming the "l" in Richlands.

Nice knife, but I think it's a Sheepsfoot rather than a Lambsfoot. Richards had an interesting history, and my dad worked there when I was a kid, as did my uncle, and later my brother-in-law, but I'm pretty sure they never made a Lambsfoot. I have the same knife :thumbsup:

Nice knife, but I think it's a Sheepsfoot rather than a Lambsfoot. Richards had an interesting history, and my dad worked there when I was a kid, as did my uncle, and later my brother-in-law, but I'm pretty sure they never made a Lambsfoot. I have the same knife :thumbsup:
Thank you for the information, I wasn't sure but now based on your post I will assume it has been sharpened to closely approximate a Lambsfoot. In either case, it is a very usable little knife than now has a wickedly sharp blade.

Thank you for the information, I wasn't sure but now based on your post I will assume it has been sharpened to closely approximate a Lambsfoot. In either case, it is a very usable little knife than now has a wickedly sharp blade.

The nose shows you it's a Sheepsfoot, and while there might be a very slight taper, it doesn't have the angles of a Lambsfoot. Richards stamped out their blades, and they were machine-ground, so I think the Lambsfoot may have been a slightly too complex blade shape for them. The knives were only roughly sharpened, so it may have left the factory like that, or been sharpened subsequently. If you're interested in the history of the company, there's an article in the January 2019 issue of Knife Magazine about Richards of Sheffield and Richartz of Solingen :thumbsup:

Sorry to be an errant Guardian, but I thought I’d drop by to say hello. I hope you’re all well.

Herder, my friend, that catalogue image you found is fascinating, as always.

I actually recollect posting about one of those late period swell centre Rodgers Lambsfoots from a friend’s collection a few years ago here (with his prior blessing, of course).

j0uBhTB.jpg

(I think clicking the arrow at the top of the quote will lead back to the original post and discussion.)

Anyway, among all the fine Lambsfoot knives in that collection, I remember it was poorly fitted and had a rough action and weak snap to it. If you saw it in person, Jack’s guess at the time, that it might have been assembled at a late stage of JR’s existence from disparate parts, would seem to be a likely possibility.

So it’s very interesting that it was actually a full catalogue line model.

Thanks very much Brewbear, I appreciate the time you took to read those old posts.

Congratulations on your first Lambsfoot knife!

To answer your questions -

I believe I used 3μm and then 1μm DMT diamond paste. Stan Shaw mentioned that he uses emery powder for lapping in actions.

I just use a non toxic, food safe oil and an old toothbrush and some cotton buds/Q-tips to flush and clean the knife. Mineral oil or camellia oil are what I would normally use. I also often use Ballistol for non food contact knives and areas.

I generally give all new traditional knives a quick wash in warm soapy water when I first get them, working the action a few times underwater. It’s amazing the debris that’s left at the bottom of the basin sometimes!

I dry the knife thoroughly afterwards for a while with low heat, and apply oil.

I generally grind back my edges to about 9 or 10 degrees per side.

I recently acquired a laser goniometer - a sure sign of the confirmed sharpening nerd :D, so those are actual measured angles.

Then I resharpen with the Sharpmaker at 15 dps.

Eventually the edge area thickens up with repeated sharpenings, and it’s back to the benchstones for some thinning out.

I prefer all my Lambsfoot knives to have a razorlike edge on them.

The steel is tough enough that it rarely gets problems with the edge in fairly thin cross sections, and in the event it does, it’s a cinch to repair and resharpen.

I’m talking about rolling and impaction - I’ve never had chipping occur on a Wright lambsfoot.

Even if you don’t have any dedicated sharpening gear, these knives respond well to all sorts of field expedients, like random kitchen steels, the bottom of coffee mugs, the top of car windows etc.

I like to use a little section of broken Spyderco Ultrafine Sharpmaker rod I carry in a pocket slip, to ‘steel’ my Lambsfoot knives with.

As far as carry, I either carry my ebony ‘Mah Knife’ Lambsfoot loose in my FLP, or if I’m carrying a Guardians knife with nice bolsters, I’ll always carry it in one of Dylan’s excellent slips.

Well, I guess everyone’s probably sick of hearing the C-word, so I’ll just mention we fairly recently came out of a long lockdown in Melbourne. My thoughts are with those who are doing it really tough at the the moment.

In the spirit of this thread about Lambsfoot knives and food :D:p though, here’s the photo evidence of the first two meals out, with Lambsfoot knives in tow, of course.

First up was catching up for a Pho with my brother and my HHB.

ghqb4MG.jpg

HPVTRPM.jpg

But this next place is what I daydreamed about during the months of lockdown:

B1IF3Rv.jpg

My Desert Ironwood Guardians knife is my usual choice of Lambsfoot ‘for best.’:);)
Hey there Chin, nice to see your post my friend!:thumbsup: The food photos look amazing:thumbsup:. What a meal:D I also treasure my Ironwood Guardians knife (gifted to me).

Good Morning Guardians and all. Well, it appears that my Tuesday golf has been aborted due to bad weather. Rather chilly, wet and windy. Nope, that's not for me. So, it's going to be an indoor sort of day and I'll be carrying my Ironwood.:thumbsup:
IMG_2805.JPG

Thanks Barrett :) :D I sent Charlie a pattern just like that (with his initials) except for the blade. I am fascinated to see that they made a Lambsfoot version. Here is the stamp that made those bolsters (I was always trying to get Wright's to do me some) :thumbsup:

b2YVSIx.jpg
If you every have a Lambfoot knife made with those bolsters please count me in!:D I'm not looking to open up any wounds:oops: but who might make it for you?o_O

That is a rather fine distinction to the untrained eye, one worth remembering. Thank you.

The nose on Lambsfoot knives can vary somewhat, but generally the tip extends for longer under the nose of the blade (which is one of the reasons I think it's more useful personally) :) Here's a comparison pic of two blades from the same manufacturer :thumbsup:

KlUl0NM.jpg

Good Morning Guardians and all. Well, it appears that my Tuesday golf has been aborted due to bad weather. Rather chilly, wet and windy. Nope, that's not for me. So, it's going to be an indoor sort of day and I'll be carrying my Ironwood.:thumbsup:
View attachment 1489785

Sorry to hear about that Bill, it definitely sounds like a day to spend warm and dry indoors. It's quite sunny here today, for a change, so I've just had a walk round the block, and chatted to a few of my neighbours. Rain again tomorrow, according to the forecast o_O :thumbsup:

If you every have a Lambfoot knife made with those bolsters please count me in!:D I'm not looking to open up any wounds:oops: but who might make it for you?o_O

I tried hard Bill, and think it would have been quite possible, but Sheffield cutlers are a conservative bunch (that's the kind way of putting it). Otter manage to do a nice bolster, though I don't think it's quite as nice as that one. I certainly have no more plans to work with any more Sheffield cutlers o_O :thumbsup:

CWmRxot.jpg

The nose on Lambsfoot knives can vary somewhat, but generally the tip extends for longer under the nose of the blade (which is one of the reasons I think it's more useful personally) :) Here's a comparison pic of two blades from the same manufacturer :thumbsup:

KlUl0NM.jpg

Sorry to hear about that Bill, it definitely sounds like a day to spend warm and dry indoors. It's quite sunny here today, for a change, so I've just had a walk round the block, and chatted to a few of my neighbours. Rain again tomorrow, according to the forecast o_O :thumbsup:

I tried hard Bill, and think it would have been quite possible, but Sheffield cutlers are a conservative bunch (that's the kind way of putting it). Otter manage to do a nice bolster, though I don't think it's quite as nice as that one. I certainly have no more plans to work with any more Sheffield cutlers o_O :thumbsup:

CWmRxot.jpg
Thank you for the picture, it really helps me in learning the distinguishing lines of this excellent blade. I will go a step further than Onebigbill Onebigbill and say that I would be honored to join the list on any knife of your design, if I may. Although my knife knowledge is very limited, I do know that some German made knives, Solingen steel blades are of a good quality.

Back