Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Having some lunch listening to the radio about all the storm damage, and just found out some parts of the state got flooding with the rain overnight, you have to feel sorry for the people affected. Just to get my quota in :) pastry gastronomical delights having some party pies, with Charles keeping them company.
gq5jl0v.jpg

We are getting absolutely getting hammered by wind, and from the South-East which is very rare. Where my brother in law lives, they have really copped it over night, with many road closures and a lot of work for emergency services. Winds were recorded at over 70MPH with lashing rain, our first real winter event and only the first week of winter. Now, Jack you have shown some of your sharpening kit in this post, i was wondering if it would be appropriate to show a new sharpening project i started yesterday in the Guardians thread, you answered my question. I found this system perusing the internet while in lockdown, it was very reasonably priced, looked well made, but looked awkward, and the stone set up looked cheap. I found 2 reviews that said it was not user friendly and loose, i knew that would not be an issue, i just wanted the actual base unit which looked a solid unit, and it is. I have a box of parts from cheap sharpening systems that i have purchased over the years to try that particular style, they were either no good, or broke over time, but i stripped parts off them and have kept them thinking they may come in handy one day, and they have. I like to think i am fairly creative and can utilize parts and bits and bobs to improve or make things, i learnt this as a kid scrounging stuff and making things. I will post some photos from the website of the actual unit, and a photo of what i have now as the starting base unit.
fa60yIN.jpg

This is how it came out of the box.

nDoXotu.jpg

This is the base i made yesterday, this is the bottom side with ridges, place this side on a mat and clamped will be very stable. Have put 3 coats of raw linseed on this side, absolutely soaked in immediately. This is what i mean about cost, had this lying around, and could not have got a better fit if you took it to a wood worker and he made it to size.
Jy8IjmV.jpg

58I92kl.jpg

This is what i wanted, the base, is solid all metal and well made and put together.
The unit cost me $27US, that is all i have put into it so far.
Sorry if i have bored you, but sitting here on last day of full lockdown, and the weather is filthy, have a crock pot of LAMB and vegetable soup cooking[ there is my lambsfoot content ] looking for something to do. But i would value your opinions and thoughts, or any ideas.
Sorry to hear about the bad weather there Leon, I hope everyone is OK :thumbsup: Nice project there :cool: :) :thumbsup:
Having some lunch listening to the radio about all the storm damage, and just found out some parts of the state got flooding with the rain overnight, you have to feel sorry for the people affected. Just to get my quota in :) pastry gastronomical delights having some party pies, with Charles keeping them company.
gq5jl0v.jpg
Hope the worst is over now, and that everyone recovers alright :thumbsup: Good to see you're eating well mate :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, thought I'd take screened porch screened porch 's advice, and slip this Straight Sambar in my pocket today ;) Have a good one Guardians :thumbsup:

agCA7iF.jpg

My pal with the tool-stall just rang me to let me know his Landrover broke down on the way to the market this morning, so he's working on it now, and won't be able to get down. Despite the loss of income, and what is always a darn good crack, he took it stoically, as it could have been a lot worse, and at least he was able to get back home OK. It could have been worse for me too, as I'm usually down at the market early. As it turns out, I'm waiting for someone to come to fit a new intercom system. Hoping to meet up with another pal this afternoon :thumbsup:

VWInqGT.jpg

I'll add one more. ;) That is a big effort considering the amount of time the Guardians has been going, just really shows how popular the knife is, but has introduced many to the Lamsfoot for the first time, many i would imagine had never heard of it before Jack started this thread. I did a break down last year of how many posts a day this thread receives, but i cannot remember the number.o_O:thumbsup:

I'll add one more. ;) That is a big effort considering the amount of time the Guardians has been going, just really shows how popular the knife is, but has introduced many to the Lamsfoot for the first time, many i would imagine had never heard of it before Jack started this thread. I did a break down last year of how many posts a day this thread receives, but i cannot remember the number.o_O:thumbsup:
That's very generous Leon, it's certainly been great to see the Lambsfoot pattern become so popular among folks who had almost certainly had never used one in the past. I never thought this thread would take off in the way it did, and I'm glad it's still puttering along, thanks to our great regular posters, such as yourself :) :thumbsup:

My picture was too large for the server.
I'll have to get a new sd card and reader for the camera. I think it's probably the card, since I think I got a read error on the camera, but I might as well get the card reader too; they're cheap.

My picture was too large for the server.
I'll have to get a new sd card and reader for the camera. I think it's probably the card, since I think I got a read error on the camera, but I might as well get the card reader too; they're cheap.
Unfortunately, I get that quite regularly Jer :( :thumbsup:

🍺🍺😁👍
Do you count Lambsfoot knives to get to the sleep part? Nice photo, Dave! Our sister unit in Germany to the 3rd Armored Division was the 5th Panzer Division....they were a thirsty lot!

More Ironwood!😁👍
PwuQ71h.jpg
GCEZCgW.jpg

I bet the 3rd Armoured Division weren't to shy with their ale either 😁
That's an unusual patina there.

gq5jl0v.jpg
Who ate all the pies...
Looks delicious.😋

Only 113 posts to go until we reach 50,000 posts Guardians :) I'll be doing a Lambsfoot giveaway then ;) :thumbsup:
Wow.
Good effort everyone. :thumbsup:

After a day of gardening for my mum.
l6iNgPI.jpg

Back