Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

This guy was amazing. Funny name for a Scandinavian.
jjVpgy2.jpg
That's very cool Jer! : D Nice pile side pic of Old Toffee Wings too :) I just had a flick through the short single-stick section in the book I bought today, but sadly there are no illustrations :( :thumbsup:

How's your day going Guardians, kind of busy on The Porch eh? I'm meeting a pal for breakfast tomorrow, so if I don't get time to post before I go out, I hope you all have a good Friday :) I think I'm going to carry my Bagpipe Ebony Big 'Un (though I reserve the right to change my mind, or forget to put it in my pocket ;) ) :thumbsup:

SWid7Ih.jpg

Bagpipes AND an authentic Sheffield accent! :D

How's your day going Guardians, kind of busy on The Porch eh? I'm meeting a pal for breakfast tomorrow, so if I don't get time to post before I go out, I hope you all have a good Friday :) I think I'm going to carry my Bagpipe Ebony Big 'Un (though I reserve the right to change my mind, or forget to put it in my pocket ;) ) :thumbsup:

SWid7Ih.jpg

Bagpipes AND an authentic Sheffield accent! :D
I'm offline and missing at the moment, computer died, sending this on friends computer. Just reporting in to wish everyone a good and safe weekend in while I can. Just saw the thread of which you speak Jack, what the hell happened there. Glad I missed out actually, too much drama for me. I'll stick to hanging out here. Don't know when I'll be back, with lockdown, riots and a long weekend, we're stuffed over here. Take care all, and stay safe.

Great treatise on singlestick! To be honest, most of the time when I do singlestick, I'm just doing Bolognese sidesword with a stick (it's what I've trained the most), but you could build a solid foundation on Allanson-Winn and Phillipps-Wolley's book.

Very interesting Tyson, we have another member who practices singlestick too :) I have only come across it as an historical practice, where it was eclipsed here by cudgeling, among common folk I believe :thumbsup:

How're you finding the Lambsfoot pattern? :)

I'm offline and missing at the moment, computer died, sending this on friends computer. Just reporting in to wish everyone a good and safe weekend in while I can. Just saw the thread of which you speak Jack, what the hell happened there. Glad I missed out actually, too much drama for me. I'll stick to hanging out here. Don't know when I'll be back, with lockdown, riots and a long weekend, we're stuffed over here. Take care all, and stay safe.
Sorry to hear that Leon, and that things are bad over there. It's good to hear from you my friend, and to know you're in one piece, you stay safe yourself :thumbsup:

Here, we're doing fine, nothing to see here - only 231,241 cases this week (up by 20,000), and 998 deaths so far this week! :eek:

Sorry to hear that Leon, and that things are bad over there. It's good to hear from you my friend, and to know you're in one piece, you stay safe yourself :thumbsup:

Here, we're doing fine, nothing to see here - only 231,241 cases this week (up by 20,000), and 998 deaths so far this week! :eek:
Couldn't decide on sad or angry from the top emoticons.:(:mad:
There.

Couldn't decide on sad or angry from the top emoticons.:(:mad:
There.
Covid is barely in the news here anymore :( Those are official figures, but you have to search for them. And when the next lockdown comes, soaring gas prices are going to mean many have to sit at home in the cold, unable to get a food delivery because of a shortage of lorry drivers/food/CO2/money, or an ambulance, because they're in short supply too :eek:

I'm glad I have a Lambsfoot!

BbIFSCt.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad I have a Lambsfoot!
Yeah. We'll survive.
I was looking for my tiny hatchets in the basement, and I found an old school pipe sling: heavy gauge wire bent into a U, with the sharpened ends bent at a right angle to drive into a joist. Of course I stepped on the long end, but it could have been worse. I could have stepped on both ends. I'll check with my doctor about a tetanus booster, but I think it's only been a year and a half.
3597hwz.jpg

Yeah. We'll survive.
I was looking for my tiny hatchets in the basement, and I found an old school pipe sling: heavy gauge wire bent into a U, with the sharpened ends bent at a right angle to drive into a joist. Of course I stepped on the long end, but it could have been worse. I could have stepped on both ends. I'll check with my doctor about a tetanus booster, but I think it's only been a year and a half.
3597hwz.jpg
Yikes! :eek: You're turning into the Human Pin Cushion Jer! Hope you're OK mate :thumbsup: I had so many tetanus shots before I was 30, they told me I was covered for life! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

No superpowers with the tetanus, unfortunately.
But the whole world would be devastated if I got lock-jaw.
FmcvAKF.jpg
Yikes! :eek: That is a scary pic Jer, and a scary thought! :D I can remember hearing the word 'lockjaw' for the first time as a child, when it was a joke in a movie or TV series (all I remember is that it had something to do with a cabin and a rusty can-opener), I had to ask what it meant! :D At least you still have your special mad bat powers! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Very interesting Tyson, we have another member who practices singlestick too :) I have only come across it as an historical practice, where it was eclipsed here by cudgeling, among common folk I believe :thumbsup:

How're you finding the Lambsfoot pattern? :)
I'm finding it useful! It's interesting, in the week or so before and after the lambsfoot arrived, about five other new knives arrived, too. (I am not a collector - I have a relatively small number of users, so six new knives all at once is unheard of for me.) So it hasn't been put through it's paces as thoroughly as I would usually have done for a new knife, but we'll get there. So far, I like it a lot! It's a convenient size for me - small enough to pair nicely with my GEC 97, but if it's the only knife I have with me I don't feel 'underknifed', either. I'm also a sucker for wood with distinct grain to it, so I really like the looks of this knife.

Last year I had started a thread asking about A. Wright & Son knives - I kept seeing pictures that looked good, and the Wright name caught my eye, too. But I'd never seen one in person. The end result of the feedback on that thread was that I sadly decided not to buy one of these - it seemed likely that I would be more disappointed than not. I don't know how representative this one is of the line as a whole, but I'm quite pleased with it. Thank you again for your generosity!

Here it's doing some work on the very last bunch of tomatoes from our garden this year:
LambsfootAtWork.jpg

As a varsity fencer during my undergraduate days, I am very pleased to see the publications on European martial arts. If you are serious at looking at historical styles, I would recommend Costello's book on fencing. I can't remember the name but it is quite extensive.
1632447286584.png

As a varsity fencer during my undergraduate days, I am very pleased to see the publications on European martial arts. If you are serious at looking at historical styles, I would recommend Costello's book on fencing. I can't remember the name but it is quite extensive.
View attachment 1646453
I might have that. The Theory and Practice of Fencing maybe?

Does the Northwoods Signal Jack blade count as a lambsfoot or technically not because of the lack of distal taper?

Hey Dennis, how're you doing my friend, it's great to see you here? Cool goggles with Betty :cool: That's quite a coincidence, that photo isn't mine, but is one of the very few we have of George Mallory's Lambsfoot knife.
Doing ok for an old broken grunt! Thanks Jack!
That is a cool photo of Mallory's knife and goggles. ๐Ÿ‘
A very cool heritage Lambsfoot, Jack!๐Ÿ‘
toda1610.jpg

toda1613.jpg

Have a nice day. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
too much nice knives here.... ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ
Great photography there! ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
I just had a call from my friend with the tool stall. He was at a large social gathering at the weekend, and has tested positive for Covid today. He says he feels OK so far, and is hoping the vaccine makes a difference :thumbsup:

I just had a look on YouTube to see if I could spot him in any of the videos posted from the event he went to, but there's that many big, old, fat blokes there, I couldn't see the wood for the trees ;)
Sorry to hear your mate caught it, Jack. Hopefully he had the vaccines, I think that really does help so it's not so severe. We know 2 or 3 elderly couples catch it, and they were better in 3-4 days.
I just had a look on YouTube to see if I could spot him in any of the videos posted from the event he went to, but there's that many big, old, fat blokes there, I couldn't see the wood for the trees ;)
Lol!๐Ÿ˜…
That looks like it was a lot of fun, sorry to hear your friend is positive however.
This gift from @Modoc ED help me make my lunch for today. View attachment 1645253
A real dandy looker, Todd!
I like the energy, what is the pepper going to be? (I'm in the mood for a chili relleno!๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŒถ๐Ÿฅฌ)
View attachment 1645254
Good day Guardians! Iโ€™m going double-lamb-day today. I hope you all have a fine one and that troubles are far from you.
A great looking pair for a double-lamb-day Joshua!๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘
And wishing I could keep my Horsewright wildrag from sliding off my broken nose. That's the mask for a bar.
FDPpSbs.jpg

And this one's out of focus, too. I feel some great disturbance in the force, what else could explain it?
๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ‘
But your Jedi-Lamb pulls it through the dark side!
VNymvO3.jpeg

Lambsfoot and playing cards. Playing cards are pretty universal around soldiers. Although honestly I rarely play anything but solitaire. ๐Ÿ˜…
Looks like an Ace you have there, Jon!!๐Ÿ‘
What's your MOS?
I've enjoyed carrying my chunky Needham Lambsfoot today, it's well-made, hefty, and a real battleship of a knife :) :thumbsup:

X6qCXO5.jpg
Looks like it has gone through some battles itself!๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ‘
Weather has cooled enough to wear jeans again, so this one took a ride in my pocket today :)

Great looking horn on your Big'un!๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
Lounging with nature on a cloudy day...

nNKDXDx.jpg
Nice setting!
All you need is a hammock and a margarita!๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘
39Xjwrw.jpg
Good evening, folks. Iโ€™m having a wee dram with some good company.
Another great photo, Dylan! Good company indeed, (though I don't smoke.) ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
6aFCCF0.jpeg

My gourmet breakfast courtesy of the US army.:rolleyes:
Hot dog for breakfast? You guys mustvbe hardcore!๐Ÿ˜€
It's always amazing to see what the mess hall can do with visiting Generals!๐Ÿ˜ถ
Back with my Hartshead Barlow today, have a good one Guardians :thumbsup:

e1S9dff.jpg
Like a pair of your favorite shoes, always fits perfect! Looks good, Jack!๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
Love that honey horn, Josรฉ, always a treat to see!๐Ÿ™‚
Guardians! Have a great day. I know things are going to be great today because I have my HHB with me today.
IMG_3166.JPG
Hope you had a great day, Bill!! Your covers on your HHB are awsome!๐Ÿ‘
Finally got a Lambsfoot! This A. Wright is a nail breaker but i think it will get better with time!

y5iLoP4.jpg
Great looking Lambsfoot!
Welcome to the Guardians!๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
Nice photo, Josรฉ!
Hope you get things sorted out, Leon!
You stay safe as well!! See you soon!๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘
Watching Jack take on the Pointy Elbow Gang... having a Sausage Sammich in his honor.
Nice, John, on both accounts!!๐Ÿค ๐Ÿ‘
Fall is here, cooler weather coming! Putting some new line on my rods!!๐Ÿ˜Ž
Yeah. We'll survive.
3597hwz.jpg
Dang Jer, you're as bad off as me, hurting something every time I turn around!!๐Ÿค•๐Ÿ˜ต๐Ÿค’

Betty again, of course!
1mt2867.jpeg

Back