Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I’ve never posted in this thread before, but I occasionally peruse it. About 6 months ago, I purchased a large horn and small stag swayback lambfoot. Since I haven’t really kept up on the thread, I ordered directly from the ...shop online.

Here’s a picture of the stag.
9ktnih.jpg

I’ve carried it several times off and on since I got it and really came to love the design with the chunky handle. Perfect size really.

Last week I decided to order a few more from the .... After I placed my order, I shifted through this thread, looking for photos of the knives I ordered. Yes, a backwards way of doing things.... also realized that Jack recently had an awesome SFO that I completely missed.

One of the knives I ordered is the Senator. Along with the ridiculous name, I became convinced that I would be receiving a knife with 3rd rate 2nd cut stag on a knife resembling a pregnant guppy.

I placed the order last Monday evening and got a notice that it was mailed on Tuesday. Saturday morning there was a knock on my door and there was the envelope! Couldn’t believe the incredible speed of that delivery!

Here’s what came:
qx3uq1.jpg

vctr8o.jpg

2qa35sn.jpg

wlvxq1.jpg

2ahdv2v.jpg

5vwydk.jpg

Maybe it’s just a happy accident, but I’m very pleased with all of the stag that they’ve sent my way. Buying sight unseen is a crapshoot although I did name drop Jack Black Jack Black Maybe they knew they’d have to answer to him!

Aside from the huge globs of polishing compound gunking them up, they are great! Very pleased! I must say that I’m not all that impressed with their horn though. My two examples almost completely lack character. Wish they had more of the golden stuff.

At any rate, I would say fear not from ordering from the ....

The lambfoot knives feel more like forum knives to me than the official forum knives. Thanks for creating this great thread dedicated to a pattern I never would have known about before.

Hope you all have a great Sunday!

Thanks for the fantastic first post Steve :thumbsup: The stag on those knives looks excellent, it isn't always that good by any means, so I'm glad they sorted you out - if nothing else, they know I represent The Awkward Squad! :D I'm not quoting the name of the dealer as they are not on the list of BF approved dealers, but I have always had good dealings with them, and have known the owner (and previous owners) for years. In fact me and @herder had a drink with him when Herder was visiting Sheffield last year. The buffalo horn Wright's use as standard is plain black, and it never really appealed to me either. They get different batches in from time to time, but getting hold of the good stuff is something of a mission. If you PM me an email address, I'll add you to my Lambsfoot email list :) Welcome to The Guardians Steve, hope we're going to be seeing more of you, and those lovely knives, around here :) :thumbsup:

I agree, Jack. :thumbsup::cool: I've picked up lots of good ideas to try, and Rachel just came up with another promising conjecture. :):thumbsup: I like the idea that Guardians can also be mad scientists! :D:p

1394687189-0.jpg

:D ;) :thumbsup:

Jack's ACL, streaming live!! ;):thumbsup::D

:D :thumbsup:

Your 2018 Guardians Ebony has significantly more attractive wood than the rest of the timber in that photo, Jack! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

LOL! Thanks my friend! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. :) That pic was taken at the end of January, so the patina has morphed somewhat over the intervening months! :cool::cool:

Always nice to see a well-used and well-loved Lambsfoot :)

That's a lovely lambsfoot, Jack, :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: but I'm apparently having a "senior moment" and can't remember its history. :( Any brief hints you're able to provide?

Thanks pal, that's Marilyn! ;) One of two pre-production 'samples' Wright's made up for me at the beginning of the year, the other was a red-head. They weren't much use as samples, since they weren't actually representative of the horn Wright's actually had in stock, but I bought up all the knives made (they weren't all nice), as I didn't want them turning up elsewhere and devaluing the Guardians project. I know Charlie is fond of red horn, so I sent him one, and kept this one myself :thumbsup:

Those stocks boggle my mind! :eek: What kind of wood is used for the two horizontal pieces? The wood in the photo certainly doesn't date back centuries, does it?? :confused:

There are still quite a few sets of them here GT (those were the second set I passed), though no longer in use! :eek: That set were restored in 1977, and I guess the wood was put in then. I suspect it may be teak, a lot of teak was reclaimed from wooden battle ships in the late 19th century. I have a garden bench made from teak from a ship captured by the French at the Battle of Trafalgar. The bench was made, like many more, at the beginning of the 20th century. I am far from expert in these matters, but the wood looks very similar, it weathers well, and was widely available.

Picture perfect, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Are your leaves turning colors already?

Thanks again GT, yes some of them are, and my street is covered in fallen conkers (Horse Chestnuts). The weather has been strange here this year :confused: :thumbsup:

My two stag lambsfoot knives:
View attachment 995295

- GT

Wonderful to see those two together :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks Jack! I always admire your backgrounds, and my humble confines have a few nice foliage to set behind knives.

5K Qs 5K Qs here’s the flock:

View attachment 995440
View attachment 995441
Thanks for the comparison photo, Joshua! :cool::cool: So your two Navy knife mods are definitely a little longer than the ACL. I'd have guessed that both of the mod lambsfoot knives were stainless, with the GEC tang stamp and acorn shield. But I guess I'm missing something, because your micarta knife seems to have quite a uniform patina! :thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Looks like I'll have to put a piece of tape over my laptop camera so that you can't hack these candid shots of me at work, Jack! :p:D

Dam! ;):D Nice photo, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

...Always nice to see a well-used and well-loved Lambsfoot :)

Thanks pal, that's Marilyn! ;) One of two pre-production 'samples' Wright's made up for me at the beginning of the year, the other was a red-head. They weren't much use as samples, since they weren't actually representative of the horn Wright's actually had in stock, but I bought up all the knives made (they weren't all nice), as I didn't want them turning up elsewhere and devaluing the Guardians project. I know Charlie is fond of red horn, so I sent him one, and kept this one myself :thumbsup:

Thanks for the patina praise, Jack. :) And thanks for the reminder about Marilyn. :cool::thumbsup: I think the previous pic "misled" me because of the lighting, since it had none of the reddish gold tint I associate with Marilyn. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

There are still quite a few sets of them here GT (those were the second set I passed), though no longer in use! :eek: That set were restored in 1977, and I guess the wood was put in then. I suspect it may be teak, a lot of teak was reclaimed from wooden battle ships in the late 19th century. I have a garden bench made from teak from a ship captured by the French at the Battle of Trafalgar. The bench was made, like many more, at the beginning of the 20th century. I am far from expert in these matters, but the wood looks very similar, it weathers well, and was widely available.

Thanks again GT, yes some of them are, and my street is covered in fallen conkers (Horse Chestnuts). The weather has been strange here this year :confused: :thumbsup:

Wonderful to see those two together :thumbsup:
Thanks for the wood info about the stocks; very interesting. :cool::thumbsup:
Very little leaf color (beside green) in my area so far, but I expect things will change substantially in the next couple of weeks; peak color probably about 3rd or 4th week of October, I think.
Thanks for the compliment on my stag lambsfoots. Another in my "basement window" series, taken on Saturdays while I'm doing the laundry and often notice sun streaming through the glass-block windows of the laundry room. ;) Here's a pic of my Cracker Jack taken yesterday in the same window during the same session:
CJ.pile.boxonside.jpg

- GT

Looks like I'll have to put a piece of tape over my laptop camera so that you can't hack these candid shots of me at work, Jack! :p:D

Well, now you've retired, I guess you're going to have some spare time for 'special projects' my friend ;) :D :thumbsup:

Dam! ;):D Nice photo, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks pal :)

Thanks for the patina praise, Jack. :) And thanks for the reminder about Marilyn. :cool::thumbsup: I think the previous pic "misled" me because of the lighting, since it had none of the reddish gold tint I associate with Marilyn. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

She can be a tricky customer ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the wood info about the stocks; very interesting. :cool::thumbsup:
Very little leaf color (beside green) in my area so far, but I expect things will change substantially in the next couple of weeks; peak color probably about 3rd or 4th week of October, I think.
Thanks for the compliment on my stag lambsfoots. Another in my "basement window" series, taken on Saturdays while I'm doing the laundry and often notice sun streaming through the glass-block windows of the laundry room. ;) Here's a pic of my Cracker Jack taken yesterday in the same window during the same session:
View attachment 995501

- GT

Excellent pic GT :cool: :thumbsup: I remember Cracker Jack being launched here when I was a kid, and really liking it :) I have not seen it on sale for years, but then there are certain aisles of the supermarket I have to try to avoid! :D :thumbsup:

As mentioned earlier, the curves of the stag have replaced my worry stone
SHI12ga.jpg

Then we were off on holiday for a week!!!
EQ7M0hC.jpg

byljI6E.jpg

TofDWgB.jpg

pYRCTYT.jpg

AqYDcvr.jpg

Find the knife!!!!
OjIvmDj.jpg

Not a Lambsfoot, but what the locals use in Belize for opening coconuts.
zZXGzYN.jpg

Wow Jody, thanks for the eye candy! :cool: Superb pics my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Joshua, nice to see your flock :) Looks like you put your AC straight to use :thumbsup:

I can only admire them for a short period before I want to cut with them. What can I say, but that I like to use sharp tools!?

Thanks for the comparison photo, Joshua! :cool::cool: So your two Navy knife mods are definitely a little longer than the ACL. I'd have guessed that both of the mod lambsfoot knives were stainless, with the GEC tang stamp and acorn shield. But I guess I'm missing something, because your micarta knife seems to have quite a uniform patina! :thumbsup::cool:

- GT

The AC lambsfoot is a smidge shorter (and thicker) than the Navy lambsfoots. Your initial thought is right about the Navy's being stainless, GT. The micarta had a forced patina put on it by Andrew (@traumkommode). I forget the name of the acid he used, though.

I can't fault you for that my friend :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone had a great weekend :) I'm starting the week off with my AC :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! :) After a whirlwind weekend without a Lambsfoot, I’m giving my Ironwood bigun some pocket time today! :D

43218093460_90dbeb0e67_b_d.jpg
Great stag and ironwood, guys. I'm starting the week with a plain old Rosewood. :)
YyHdaiL.jpg

Good morning Guardians! :) After a whirlwind weekend without a Lambsfoot, I’m giving my Ironwood bigun some pocket time today! :D

43218093460_90dbeb0e67_b_d.jpg

I'm almost forgotten about that beauty Ron, welcome back to the fold Ron ;) :D :thumbsup:

Great stag and ironwood, guys. I'm starting the week with a plain old Rosewood. :)
YyHdaiL.jpg

That knife is anything, but plain Rachel :)

My entire street is covered in 'conkers' at the moment. Just a few decades ago, school children would have travelled miles to capture this treasure, used to play a traditional English game, but now they just lie on the road to be trampled underfoot, crushed by cars, or picked up by the occasional incredulous middle-aged pedestrian.

Spotted in Leeds today! :D

That knife is anything, but plain Rachel :)

My entire street is covered in 'conkers' at the moment. Just a few decades ago, school children would have travelled miles to capture this treasure, used to play a traditional English game, but now they just lie on the road to be trampled underfoot, crushed by cars, or picked up by the occasional incredulous middle-aged pedestrian.

Spotted in Leeds today! :D

So that's how you play conkers! We used to play a game involving acorns and Sycamore seed-balls. We'd wait for a car to drive by, and roll the acorn across the street. We'd try to time it just right for the acorn to roll under the car's tires. The acorns would make a loud pop, and the seed balls would go "poof" in a very satisfying way.

Before the internet, kids had to make their own fun. :D

So that's how you play conkers! We used to play a game involving acorns and Sycamore seed-balls. We'd wait for a car to drive by, and roll the acorn across the street. We'd try to time it just right for the acorn to roll under the car's tires. The acorns would make a loud pop, and the seed balls would go "poof" in a very satisfying way.

Before the internet, kids had to make their own fun. :D

You wouldn't have got away with some of those conkers rules at my school Rachel :D Nice to see the kids having fun though :)

That sounds like fun, I might have to give it a try! ;) :D :thumbsup:

Behold the Lambsfoot!
43183447190_de76fe8737_o.jpg

43183447030_d85fbf3c83_o.jpg

It arrived today!
Very impressed so far. The stag is beautiful, and the knife came with a decent edge on it. May wait a few days before I cut anything acidic with it. Want to enjoy the shiny blade for now. But I plan to carry this often. My Case medium stockman and Case mini trapper went back in the cigar box for now. Looking forward to using this.

I guess I am officially now a Guardian of the Lambsfoot!
Jack, you can PM me the secret handshake and oath, and please let me know where I can order my Guardians ring from.
31122415588_79fb9856f4_o.jpg
Looking good! :thumbsup: Welcome to the Guardians! :)

View attachment 995005

This one again today. Can't keep it out my pocket.
It's definetly addictive Joshua! ;) :thumbsup:

I’ve never posted in this thread before, but I occasionally peruse it. About 6 months ago, I purchased a large horn and small stag swayback lambfoot. Since I haven’t really kept up on the thread, I ordered directly from the Famous Sheffield knife shop online.

Here’s a picture of the stag.
9ktnih.jpg

I’ve carried it several times off and on since I got it and really came to love the design with the chunky handle. Perfect size really.

Last week I decided to order a few more from the Famous Sheffield shop. After I placed my order, I shifted through this thread, looking for photos of the knives I ordered. Yes, a backwards way of doing things.... also realized that Jack recently had an awesome SFO that I completely missed.

One of the knives I ordered is the Senator. Along with the ridiculous name, I became convinced that I would be receiving a knife with 3rd rate 2nd cut stag on a knife resembling a pregnant guppy.

I placed the order last Monday evening and got a notice that it was mailed on Tuesday. Saturday morning there was a knock on my door and there was the envelope! Couldn’t believe the incredible speed of that delivery!

Here’s what came:
qx3uq1.jpg

vctr8o.jpg

2qa35sn.jpg

wlvxq1.jpg

2ahdv2v.jpg

5vwydk.jpg

Maybe it’s just a happy accident, but I’m very pleased with all of the stag that they’ve sent my way. Buying sight unseen is a crapshoot although I did name drop Jack Black Jack Black Maybe they knew they’d have to answer to him!

Aside from the huge globs of polishing compound gunking them up, they are great! Very pleased! I must say that I’m not all that impressed with their horn though. My two examples almost completely lack character. Wish they had more of the golden stuff.

At any rate, I would say fear not from ordering from the Famous Sheffield Shop.

The lambfoot knives feel more like forum knives to me than the official forum knives. Thanks for creating this great thread dedicated to a pattern I never would have known about before.

Hope you all have a great Sunday!
Very nice Stag Steve! :thumbsup: Good to have you here and welcome to the Guardians! :)

YyHdaiL.jpg
Thanks! :) I think the Rosewood models have a beauty all their own. They are definitely hard working knives! :thumbsup: :)

Back