GUESS RIGHT STOCKMAN GAW

Congrats, GT! Thank you, Will! I loved all the pictures posted, and GT's mathematical nerdery made it even more entertaining. :D

Speaking of cars and the number 959: as a boy, the Porsche 959 was one of the supercars that I had a poster of on my bedroom wall. It's amazing to think that today you can walk into a dealership with ~$50k and walk out with a car producing as much horsepower as the World's Fastest Street-Legal Production Car from 1986.

Thanks to all who posted congratulatory comments! :)

I had to look up MOTS. :D That's a little Richards sleeveboard pattern that I won in @Jack Black's Take the Gold or Open the Box GAW. (In fact, I think that was an extra knife Jack threw in, as if he hadn't included enough already. :))
Thanks for the knife ID, Barrett. :thumbsup: Richards in UK and Imperial in US certainly made a lot of similar knives!

Well many moons ago in the LAST CENTURY :D:D :eek: they did have these 626 etc models even a 923 I believe, but now it's just 2,3,5,6 with various suffixes MX or CX. No 4 models as I understand 4 is considered an unlucky No. in some Asian cultures.:(
Thanks for the Mazda info, Will. :thumbsup: I probably haven't been in the market for a new car since the last century, so that's probably why I forgot that Mazda has moved on to single-digit model numbers! :rolleyes: I also didn't realize that "4" is considered unlucky. :eek:

I should have stuck with saturation bombing, but instead I switched targets! My bad. :(
Congrats GT, and thanks for the fun, Will.
Good description of strategies/tactics, Jeff! :thumbsup:;)

Congrats, GT! Thank you, Will! I loved all the pictures posted, and GT's mathematical nerdery made it even more entertaining. :D

Speaking of cars and the number 959: as a boy, the Porsche 959 was one of the supercars that I had a poster of on my bedroom wall. It's amazing to think that today you can walk into a dealership with ~$50k and walk out with a car producing as much horsepower as the World's Fastest Street-Legal Production Car from 1986.
Liked your palindromic Porsche tale, Shawn! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
Not sure that I'll have business cards made up that include the phrase, "Promoting Mathematical Nerdery Since 1973"! :eek::D

- GT

When I checked my mailbox at work yesterday, I was thrilled to find a little package from Finland that contained, according to the customs declaration slip, a pocket tool! :cool::cool: I opened it as soon as I got back to my office and found the GAW prize Will so generously offered:an absolutely gorgeous red jigged bone 4-inch Böker stockman! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
The bone is flawless on each side; the rounded bolsters, low-riding sheepsfoot blade, and nearly sunk joints make my heart (and hand and pocket) sing!
GAW.stock.mark.closed.jpg

NH.stock.pile.closed.jpg

The blades already have a very attractive patina, and the point of the sheepsfoot is well below the liners (I detest stockman knives whose sheepsfoot tip is above the top of the liners :mad:). Also, I've lately been quite pleased with myself over my improvement in sharpening technique, but the blades on the knife Will sent show me I have LOTS of room for further improvement!
NH.stock.mark.3open.jpg

GAW.stock.pile.3open.jpg

Will also included a .05 euro coin with Finnish lion on the back, and a post card whose text translates to, "Out of consideration for your health, I only ordered one bottle." :D (I'm not sure if Will is aware that I've been drinking Guinness stouts quite frequently over recent months! :cool:;))
GAW.coin.postcard.jpg

I enjoyed this GAW very much, Will! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: In fact, here's a pic of a little worksheet I used at some point during the guessing frenzy:
GAW.worksheet.jpg
But I'm elated to get the prized knife as well; thanks for your generosity, Will!

- GT

When I checked my mailbox at work yesterday, I was thrilled to find a little package from Finland that contained, according to the customs declaration slip, a pocket tool! :cool::cool: I opened it as soon as I got back to my office and found the GAW prize Will so generously offered:an absolutely gorgeous red jigged bone 4-inch Böker stockman! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
The bone is flawless on each side; the rounded bolsters, low-riding sheepsfoot blade, and nearly sunk joints make my heart (and hand and pocket) sing!
View attachment 878185

View attachment 878186

The blades already have a very attractive patina, and the point of the sheepsfoot is well below the liners (I detest stockman knives whose sheepsfoot tip is above the top of the liners :mad:). Also, I've lately been quite pleased with myself over my improvement in sharpening technique, but the blades on the knife Will sent show me I have LOTS of room for further improvement!
View attachment 878188

View attachment 878189

Will also included a .05 euro coin with Finnish lion on the back, and a post card whose text translates to, "Out of consideration for your health, I only ordered one bottle." :D (I'm not sure if Will is aware that I've been drinking Guinness stouts quite frequently over recent months! :cool:;))
View attachment 878190

I enjoyed this GAW very much, Will! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: In fact, here's a pic of a little worksheet I used at some point during the guessing frenzy:
View attachment 878191
But I'm elated to get the prized knife as well; thanks for your generosity, Will!

- GT

You truly deserve the prize. Congrats, sir!

View attachment 878185

View attachment 878186

View attachment 878188

View attachment 878189

View attachment 878190

View attachment 878191

- GT

Good stuff, GT! And thanks again, Will, for the chance! That's a fine prize! :thumbsup:

(I like your worksheet, GT. I used an Excel spreadsheet to keep up with the remaining potential guesses. :D)

Good stuff GT, glad it arrived for Easter!:thumbsup:

Those Böker aren't bad :) I have a Grand Canyon Bone and an Appaloosa Bone Large Stockman in reserve, they do take a good edge.

Thanks, Will

Back