Gun Hoarding...Why

Yes, but it's less likely you'll be sneered at to your face if you have a Winchester lever-action in the rear window rack of your truck. ( You might have to upgrade to an AK or FN before they take your meaning. *)

Some folks - need to be reminded;
Every now and then, that some folks need killing;
And they're ones likeliest to be nominated for the honor.

*Just one of the subtleties learned in my experience as an increasingly effective social worker.

munk said:
...once you wear the villain's clothes, Self Rightieousness appears and every body and every system gets to turn their nose at your smell...
That's exactly why I quit buying my clothes at the Goodwill.

Do I myself have an 'assault rifle'? Why yes I do

Only if it has both fully automatic and semi-automatic options. "Assault rifle" is a technical term that refers to a weapon with both full and semiautomatic options, that fires an intermediate level cartridge. No auto option? Not an AR. Does not fire a relatively low-powered rifle cartridge? Not an assault rifle.

AR-15: rifle
Uzi (full auto): submachine gun
Uzi (semi): carbine or pistol, depending on model
M-16: assault rifle
M-1: battle rifle
M-1 Carbine: carbine
SKS: rifle or carbine, depending on model

A "high-capacity military-style weapon" is NOT an "assault rifle". (Incidentally, according to the FBI, only 2% of gun crimes in 2003 were committed with such weapon. Since only 7% of all violent crimes utilized firearms, only 2% of 7% used what Chuck Schumer called the "weapons of choice" for criminals and gang members... :rolleyes: )

John

John, I think you've made an error:

7% of violent crimes involved firearms.
2% of firearms crimes involved pseudo-assault rifles.

Take 7%, then 2% of that number = .07 equals 1/100th of 7%, times 2, equals .14% of firearms crimes. Roughly 1/6th of a percent of violent crimes.

Semper Fi said:
Ted Kennedy's assault car has killed more people than my guns.
Kennedy's car didn't kill anybody. She drowned. She was killed by the sea, which has killed more people than all the cars, guns, and wars combined.

But, on a related note:

MODESTO, Calif. -- A 21-year-old Modesto man is facing numerous charges, including attempted murder, for allegedly running over a group of boys.

Four young boys between the ages of 9 and 14 were flung along the roadside Monday night. The driver, who sped off, was chased down by witnesses who found him hiding in his parents' back yard, according to authorities.

Marcos Rodriguez, 21, was arrested. Police said he admitted he purposely ran the boys over because he was in a gang, and the boys were friends of a rival gang. The boys were not gang members, according to officials

John, I think you've made an error:

7% of violent crimes involved firearms.
2% of firearms crimes involved pseudo-assault rifles.

None of which is to say that these same violent crimes would not have occurred irrespective of whether the guns were available or not. A stick or a stone can inflict just as much damage, and our pre-gun history was if anything yet more violent then our present societies. The weapon is just the tool, if the objective is to reduce crime then we would be far better off by focusing our efforts on the human element rather then on a mechanical device. What is it about the way that we live that would encourage some among us to kill their fellow man? Is our justice system far too linient; or, our social net far too harsh?

n2s

Ben Arown-Awile said:
Kennedy's car didn't kill anybody. She drowned. She was killed by the sea, which has killed more people than all the cars, guns, and wars combined.

Germs I could buy (The Black Death; the influenza pandemic of 1918-1919). The sea? Don't know. 6,000,000 military dead in WW I alone. That's a lot of storms -- and efforts to use a sedan as a boat.

"Her" name was Mary Jo Kopechne, and she was the daughter of an plain, old, not-to-important insurance agent employed by the company I worked for at the time.

"She" was young, beautiful, a little foolish, and bedazzled by the attentions of a rich and powerful man at a party. A party to which she was invited because she was young and beautiful.

"She" drowned, perhaps inevitably, or perhaps because Kennedy was too drunk to remember he'd picked up a woman when he went off the bridge. He did sober up enough to flee the scene, though.

That was ?1969 or 1970?, she'd be in her fifties now, maybe with children or grandchildren.

"She" had a name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jo_Kopechne

What Kis said.

Sorry, Ben, but the whole "Teddy Bare" thing is as disgraceful as the O.J. trial.

<Kennedy's car didn't kill anybody. She drowned. She was killed by the sea, which has killed more people than all the cars, guns, and wars>

It ain't the guns, the cars or the evil-lookin' knives.

It's irresponsible people, period.

AA

Sorry I even responded to this thread. But seeing TK hugging Kerry reminds me that our legal system doesn't work. WTF.

"What is it about the way that we live that would encourage some among us to kill their fellow man?"

I have thought about that one. I sometimes think people are quick to want to kill because they havent actually seen enough real death and they dont full realise what they are doing.

Having said that, there are a lot of a$$holes in the world who think it's ok to get upset and abuse people over stupid things like money or material stuff.

People have breaking points.

only 2% of gun crimes in 2003 were committed with such weapon. Since only 7% of all violent crimesutilized firearms, only 2% of 7% used

Rusty, I think we're saying the same things. ;)

I agree John. Just wanted to make sure people got the point. Of that 7%, only 2 out of a hundred of those crime involved so-called assault weapons.

I guess outside of California. Massachusetts, and New Jersey and maybe a few other states of their ilk, the definition of an assault weapon reverts back to the military's full auto capable, intermediate powered round, with detachable magazines.

Kismet said:
..."She" was young, beautiful, a little foolish...
Very foolish and living dangerously.
1. She knew he was drunk.
2. She knew he was married.
3. She knew he was a Kennedy.

All good reasons to have taken a cab home.

Imagine having a good time and paying for it with your life- it happens, but hardly what one expects. With old drunks like Senator Kennedy, it would be almost impossible for a young person to tell just how impaired they really were.

munk

I originally posted the "Ted Kennedy assault car" comment to contrast with the anti gun position of blaming an inanimate object for a human's actions. A feeble attempt at satire on my part. Perhaps I should have said "Ted Kennedy used an assault car to kill that girl."

The car didn't kill, the sea didn't kill, Ted Kennedy killed. He alone is responsible for her death.

Back