Gurkha in Afghanistan

Greetings, I haven't posted for a while. I got this picture of a Gurkha soldier of the British Paracute Regiment I thought I'd share.

gurkha.jpg

i didant see a khukuri in the photo does he have one ???
also on the funny side in your post you wrote PARACUTE regiment
you havent been there that long yet have you he he:)

did you actualy get to speak with those ghurkas and if you did what did he think of your khuk.regards ghorka:D

I didn't mean I took the photo myself. It's from a British website. I was trying to write "Paras", but thinking I should clarify, edited my post w/o double checking. Doh! Gurkhas are now serving outside of their usual units and suplementing other regiments with manpower shortage. It's the first time I've seen a Gurkha with a maroon beret.

Too bad the shot was not taken from his right side. But then I'm not sure whether khukuris are jump qualified. The only time I met Gurkhas were in Singapore. They were very fit, polite, and happy people. The one Gurkha wearing a khuk was on guard duty at the time, and politely declined to show me his khukuri.

yeh the marroon beret is usualy worn by the para regiments, tough lot a buggers, i wonder if this ghurka is in the paras, like you say i have only seen pics of ghurkas with the green berets and hats.???
i was reading a bit about the paras the other day they were sent into ireland when there was big trouble there, they were withdrawn pretty promptly as the ira complained they were much to rough + tough ???
figure that one out.;)

But then I'm not sure whether khukuris are jump qualified.

Nasty enough to imagine a standard issue knife injuring its owner in a landing, but a khuk is *really* a frightening thought. Certainly a special scabbard would be needed (no pointy chapes allowed) since the wood/leather ones occasionaly fail in abusive shipping. Hmmm, wonder if the shipping is rougher than a bad landing.

Unfotuneately the Royal Marines have pulled out of my location over here, so my chances of encountering Ghurkas is greatly diminished. I had heard that the Brits employed Ghurkas during some of the rough stuff in the mountains and caves, so I had hoped to run into some. I pretty much figure my Ghurka aquantaince from Desert Storm, Sergeant Dahl, has long since retired, but was hoping to make some new friends and maybe get a proper bowl of curry. If I run into any of those friendly fellows from Nepal (not said tongue in cheek, all the ghurkas I met in the gulf war were uncommonly cheerful and hospitable)
I'll give the Cantina a full report.

Sarge

If he made it past para training, he should be one tough hombre. Met a retired para NCO who was teaching judo at my Uni back in 1992 when I was studying in London. Was probably more than 20 years younger than him but got my ass handed to me just about everytime we sparred.

The brits may suck at footie, cricket, or rugby :D (though they invented them all) but their professional armed forces are some of the best there are. Not to mention the Gorkha units still on the payroll.

Andrew Limsk

Originally posted by Brendan
He looks like he can handle himself, check out his eyes !! Scary !!

Originally posted by redvenom
The brits may suck at footie, cricket, or rugby :D (though they invented them all)

Oi! lessa that sonny. . . were ok at rugby.

but their professional armed forces are some of the best there are. Not to mention the Gorkha units still on the payroll.

I'm glad theyre on our side!

I'll bet there's a khukuri hanging off his gear somewhere. He looks to be loaded for bear for sure.

Might that black thing on his right leg, just above the knee, be the tip of the khuk scabbard?

Keith

Probably farther back out of sight, at about 4:30 or 5 o'clock on the belt. That's where it was on the pics of Indian Gurkha that were posted a few months ago. I'd have to watch it though, slice my canteen to pieces when drawing the khuk or something :D

Having had the honor to be down range with gurkhas in the past, I can tell you that his Kukri is probably posterior to his ammo pouch with the sheath covered in a camo or green canvas or nylon cover. If this particular Gurkha needed to brandish his kukri, he would emply the cross draw unsheathing movement to do so. Cheers!

Picture may be a few months old - according to the British Army website,
C (GURKHA) Company's final parade on 25th May 2002 marked an end to its service with Second Battalion, The Parachute Regiment. On completion of the parade the majority of the soldiers will return to 2nd Battalion RGR in Shorncliffe,Kent. Some, however, will move to the Demonstration Companies at Brecon and RMA Sandhurst, whilst others will go to the Gurkha Reinforcement Coy (GRC) reinforcing 1 Royal Irish in Canterbury. All soldiers will revert back to wearing their traditional rifle green berets and RGR stable belts.

There'll always be an England and I think there'll always be a few Gorkhas lurking around. I get some sort of strange satisfaction from believing that.

Back