Gurkha in Afghanistan

Originally posted by redvenom
If he made it past para training, he should be one tough hombre. Met a retired para NCO who was teaching judo at my Uni back in 1992 when I was studying in London. Was probably more than 20 years younger than him but got my ass handed to me just about everytime we sparred.

The brits may suck at footie, cricket, or rugby :D (though they invented them all) but their professional armed forces are some of the best there are. Not to mention the Gorkha units still on the payroll.

Andrew Limsk

Um... I don't think Rugby was created by the Brits. Most likely it was created by the Romans. As for footie, what code of football are you referring to? Soccer was created by the Italians and Aussie Rules (*REAL* Football) was created by the Australian Aborigines.....

As for all of them above sports, Australia are the undisputed champions in *ALL* of them, including swimming and hockey (field hockey, not ice hockey, which is virtually non-existant here in the merry land of OZ)...

While technically mercenaries, I would think the Brits should consider the Gorkhas the most loyal friends they have ever had. Some time ago I came across a site listing the soldiers with VC honours and there are a sizable percentage that come from the hills of Nepal.

Andrew Limsk

Originally posted by Bill Martino
There'll always be an England and I think there'll always be a few Gorkhas lurking around. I get some sort of strange satisfaction from believing that.

I've noticed that the loyalty and bravery exibited by the Gorkhas can be seen in others in Nepal. The shining example that comes to mind are the mountaineers. My brother in law, also Kami Sherpa and a climbing leader, routinely risked his own life to make sure the strangers who paid him to lead them on a climb would stay out of harm's way. He went above and beyond the call of duty and most others in the profession did exactly the same.

..And most likely they (the tourists) never even knew it! Heroes and risk-takers always concentrate on keeping things going at a good pace, understating their roles in society. Heroes don't take lives, they save lives.

Understandably, there are some lives to be taken to save others, that's just the way it is.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

Back