Gut shots. Maybe off topic.

I hope so too.

Beoram, the point isn't that the victims could have been armed, it would have been useful for the assailents to know a passerby could have observed them and shot back.

munk

Originally posted by munk
I hope so too.

Beoram, the point isn't that the victims could have been armed, it would have been useful for the assailents to know a passerby could have observed them and shot back.

munk
I second that.
That is the foundation behind an armed populace.
Sniper victims themselves, armed or unarmed don't have a chance, I believe we are all in agreement on that.

Prayers and blessing to the victims and a prayer that this "sniper" gets what he deserves.

Originally posted by munk
I hope so too.

munk

Munk-

but this is someone (or someone's) who enjoys taunting the police and the public by his brazen actions - it seems he would just view the possibility of armed observers as another challenge...I'm not saying there isn't anything in your point in general, I'm just not sure that the right, or lack thereof, to 'bear arms' has much effect on situations like this one..

anyway, let's hope they have indeed caught them.

Ahh Rusty, as usual I like the way you think:D

Pen, I hope you and yours stay safe. I can't imagine what you must be going thru:(

Beoram, yes, a certain kind of 'brazeness' but a lot more plain cowardice. Shooting unsuspecting civilians isn't much 'sport'. In most of the areas of his shootings he or they could count on no armed response. An armed society could not prevent this from happening, but it might cut the career short, and would limit some of the potential murders as too risky.

Since this thread is about gut shots, let me say he's either a malicious brute, a fking barbarian who did not care if his aim was five inches too low, or did this on purpose, which means he's worse. In either case, I would execute the man by firing squad after a remarkably short trial. The least fuss made about this kind of depravity the better.

munk

That would be to kind !!

A good stoning I think or a traditional African death. Tyre round his neck filled with petrol and light him up. NECKLACE !!

Once I'd shot low at the man I wouldn't stop there....and so:
Shooting low is what he deserves, but not what we deserve. So, like any annonomous snake, I'd cut the head off, wipe the blade clean, and walk on. Or in our case, cut the body from the wall and throw it into the Atlantic.

munk

As I expected, Munk summarized the situation. What we want to see happen to the culprit(s) would end up diminishing us.

For the last ten years, or thereabouts, I've wondered if we could buy, say, Devils Island and ship all state and federal persons given the death penalty there. Punishment - to be burned at the stake on the end of their natural lives, and then buried in a nameless welded foot square box of one inch thick stainless steel to be dropped into the Mariannas Trench.

Difference in this Death Penalty law would be after a 3 month appeal period the judge would sign and file the death warrant. Prisoner John Doe would be called into court, read the death warrant, and the judge would revolk his birth certificate and cause all copies to be destroyed. Then sign and file the irrevocable death certificate, ending his "life". No appeals could be filed. His existence legally terminated.

The executee would then be taken to the place where he'd spend the rest of his breathing days though already legally dead. A place of no return, a place of no name, just another numbered shadow of the uninterred dead.

End of rant.

Holy Moly. They make movies out of stuff like that. I really like the discontinuence of the birth certificate.

I don't know why we waste energy on lethal injections or even gas. WE do that for us, and it is unneccesary. I like the bullet. The island? If they're going to get tortured we might as well do it. But you wouldn't have to twist my arm to vote, 'yeah' for the island.
If there were such an place, how would our Navy be able to refrain from firing a few salvos every time they passed by?

munk

No torture. Just keep them alive and reasonably healthy. Not happy though. In the bottom of a pit, with a small night light bulb for the rest of their lives.

the thing about the death penalty - I don't know what to think about it. my uncertainty is not from any 'bleedin'-heart' reason, but this: if I had a choice, I would much rather be sentenced to death than to life-imprisonment. So on the one hand, it seems strange to support murderers and other such persons at the expense of the state; but on the other hand death seems too kind... (cf Rusty's post above)

--B.

I personally would dearly love to get my hands on this creep. I'd take care of him in the manner that some of my ancestors would have. Slow roasting over a low fire. A firing squad is too good for him. That's how you kill soldiers and he doesn't deserve that. He deserves a cowards death. :mad:

Beoram, my only objection to the death penalty is innocent men going through the gate. I'd like more evidence for those cases. There is a moral objection but I feel it is dismissed by the pretentiousness of humans witholding practical judgement in societies self defense. We don't have the 'right' not to execute grave murderers. (unless it can be shown we have more to gain by studying certain individuals)
Enough high-dey hoe from me!

What is intrinsically fine about firearms and an armed populace, is if you catch a felon in the act you have both Divine intervention, Judgement, and Darwin all at once in your bullet. You can't beat that in Court, Jail, or the Stake.

munk

Back