Gut shots. Maybe off topic.

Your point about bus stops is interesting, Rusty. I'm going to have to go back and read it again.

There are several bus stops in the vicinity of the Home Depot in Falls Church where the last fatality occurred.

I had to go there yesterday (it's the only hardware store of any size near my new place). I stopped to scan the area around the parking deck (I figured that lightning wouldn't strike twice).

As far as I can tell, there is only one clear shot into that deck. It isn't too far away and sits off the side of a fairly busy shopping center. My guess is that one reason this guy often attacks when it's dark or near-dark is that he's actually fairly close, and would be noticed if there was better light.

S.

PS. This time I had no trouble finding someone to assist me in the store - the place was empty.

another shooting this morning - this time at a bus stop.

I told you they didn't have 'em yet...

(you'd have to be a resident of Mont. County to understand - that's the best I can put it)

I would like to wake up without a new victim on the news. This guy may make 20 before he's done.

munk

Our office secretary has a police scanner - her ex was FBI.

She leaves in on at night...:confused:

She woke up at about 6:15 to the scanner screaming on about the shooting. She's fairly confident that it was a bus driver familiar to her family. He was on the top step filling out paperwork at 6 am when he was gunned down.

It's very frustruating to everybody here...

I think that by the end of this Chief Moose will have grey hair and will probably retire. At first, he was very tough and unwavering, but he has been slowly breaking down - you can see it in the press releases shown on TV.

Anyway, back to the daily grind...

It's not well known that Montgomery County houses some of the richest people in the USA. Forget all that stuff about Beverly Hills, CA. There are places here where the average per capita is $100,000+ and the average home is $1,000,000+. Don't believe me? Come take a tour of Potomac, MD - you'll wise up fast. Sure, there are richer people elsewhere, but not 1000s and 1000s of them all in the same county - quietly raking it fortunes and driving up taxes and in general making all the decisions for us poor, uneducated folk. (by poor, I mean <$70,000 household income...by uneducated, I mean <$70,000 household income...)

Anyway, we have a warped sense of reality here - I'm sure you can imagine.

BTW, our secretary just came in to let me know that indeed the bus driver has now died.

:(

Thanks all for the alert on the latest shooting. I have not been turning on the TV, as much. All these shootings are making Mom a nervous wreck. When she does watch TV it's her Soap or Animal Channel or one of the educational channels. She even has trouble following her Soaps but if the terrorist type news is on, she gets agitated as hell.

Even Hindu Hells can't cut it, Beoram. There is nothing left to say in this thread. We are sick of the carnage every day and can do nothing. No longer a splash of depravity, it simply builds, adding new numbers and a pressure that is not resolved. It is depressing.

munk

Shortly after my post the killer's statement was released...let's see if I got this right; 'your children are not safe anytime or anywhere."

He will be lucky if the police catch him first. Perhaps Mad Mike is right.

munk

How about he gets an all female jury.

Drawn from the Mescalero or White Mountain Apaches! Yvsa, feel free to suggest appropriate alternatives, such as Commanchee, etc. After that last message about no-one's kids being safe, a jury of native american moms might be the way to go. Besides, what better place to find impartiality than to try him on and NDN reservation?

Not to interupt a great train of thought, Rusty, but just caught John Lott on Fox news. These murders have not yet altered the average murder rate per month in the area. ( He also said ballistic fingerprinting was a waste of time, btw)

munk

The fact that this shooter (I won't insult true snipers by calling this jerk one) is willing to shoot any target of opportunity including children only serves to show how sick he really is. I hope they catch him or them soon, before anymore people are hit.
I hope you folks didn't think from my last post that I'm some kind of freak that enjoys harming others. I try to be a non-violent person but I could make an exception for this guy.

The real problem is the common criminals. I think we need to adopt Singapore's policy of just beating criminals for their punishment. Why spend the time and money to feed and house prisoners for years at a time when we could just give them a beating they would never forget? From what I hear, Singapore has no crime whatsoever.

Mike: agreed.

I'm so strongly anti-violence I'd go to any lengths to prevent it.

Think about that and you'll realize I just said preemptive strikes were ok by me.

My Sister and her family live 19 miles from the killer's attacks. She says the whole area is still traumatized by 9-11. They know they are the epicenter of any future terrorist attack because of DC and have this homicidal loon now too.

munk

While I'd like to agree to a slow death, I'm not sure it would be best. Maybe it would be, just a gut shot...

The very first victim was a friend and co-worker of my brother in law, and was a real good guy. This whole deal really leaves such a bad taste in my mouth, I have to try to stop thinking about it.

Years ago, a jury in Salt Lake City handed a death sentence in a very unique way. The foreman stood up and declared, "Your honor, we the jury don't feel that we can judge this man, so we are sending him to a higher authority for judgement." :D I've always liked that one!

I would be interested in what Yvsa has to say about all of this.

Spence, you've got mail! ;)

Originally posted by munk
...These murders have not yet altered the average murder rate per month in the area...
tongue-in-cheek?

I hope so. The murder rate in Mont. Co. is normally very, very low. For years, the county's website has professed to "no violent crimes". Now, Anacostia (a suburb of DC), on the other hand, is trying hard to be like NYC...

So, perhaps Fox News is taking into account the entire DC area...?

:rolleyes:

Yes, Pen, the entire DC area including Richmond, I believe. 34 murders a month.

What can you tell me about nearby Howard County?

munk

Howard County is completely different. More details later...

Back