Power lifting - consider myself novice/intermediate

Strength

Finished/ plateaued 5x5 starting mad dog

In kilograms
BP - 180
DL - 220
Squat - 200
OHP (strict) - 90

Big time addiction to the iron. I'm 51 now and train a little less than when I was 40.
Got a 355 bench at 190lbs. Also a 225lbs. Seated behind the neck press. As an active runner I dont squat but would guess I could do 225 to 245. Tried dead lifting once but could only do 255. Mostly do compound torso training. Dips, pullups, etc. Also delt, tri, and bi training.
I do a 4 day split:
Mon-chest, front delts, triceps.
Tue-back, rear delts, biceps.
Thu-same as monday but light or circuit training.
Fri-same as tuesday but light or circuit training.
Abs and running 5 days a week. Heavy bag on Wednesday and Saturday.
I actually died from poison last Oct and have rebounded well. I now walk around at 200lbs. I no longer do benchmeets but I still do races like the downhill mile
Or 3200 meter.
And Houlah with those numbers you must be a beast. :)

Yeah. I used-ta-could. I used to be a big gym rat, lifted 6 days a week. Was freakishly strong back in the day, but now... two hip replacements and one (thus far) major shoulder/rotator cuff surgeries later, am limited to what I can and do in the gym. I got to 405 in bench press at one time, could rep 315 for sets. Now.... I work out with a weight so low that I won't admit to. Getting old sucks. My workouts now consist of a mere portion of what I used to do, but.... I'm still there. I have discovered kettle bells, they are fantastic. Growing and maintaining mass and strength is so much harder now. I mainly do super-sets that consist of a traditional chest/triceps exercise followed immediately by a back/biceps exercise. I do three different variations of that for 3-4 sets of increasing weight. Kettle bell exercises in the beginning for warm-up, and sometimes at the end in case I still have some giddy-up.

W Wunderbar 51 your still a pup ;-) You grew up in an odd time, a tiny generation wedged between two massive generations. You saw the last remnants of the old world disappear and a new world begin.

Seated behind the neck press.

Dude please stop this. Sounds like a rotator cuff about to explode.

You have a lot of cardio in your program, you must have good joints.

Getting old sucks.

What makes you feel that way, because you are not as strong as you once were?

I have discovered kettle bells, they are fantastic.

Truth.

Growing and maintaining mass and strength is so much harder now. I mainly do super-sets that consist of a traditional chest/triceps exercise followed immediately by a back/biceps exercise

If a young man does not go thru a muscle adaptation phase when he is young he has doomed his own body to be forever weak. Strength imo is the last thing to leave with age. The fittest cardio freak in the world will revert back to average fitness in weeks without continuous training. Strength built naturally (no juice) in youth will take decades to diminish. Joints might fail and injuries take longer to heal but strength seems to persist imo.

I quit doing B-T-N presses in my 20's. Stuck with inclne presses and high incline dumbell presses.

Mongo Its not your age, its your milelage. :)

Pffff I probably should, but I just hate gyms.

I lift stuff for 8 hours a day already, and I've got a bunch of weights at home, but just to get some guidance and tips for targeted training I probably should.

I've found DDP Yoga to be pretty good for me. I should do it every day but try to do it three times a week. For several years I was unable to get into a catcher's squat or sit cross-legged (both before and after hip replacement) and its really increased my lower body flexibility. I doubt someone who was strong would find it much of a workout but for a desk jockey like me, at least it keeps me going.

Diamond Dallas Page is an old time wrestler. He broke his neck and got back to the ring by doing a combination of yoga and old school calisthenics and turned it into a program. He has also done some really great things for old wrestlers. Look up his videos about Jake the Snake Roberts and Razor Ramon.

49 y.o.

In the gym (Planet Fitness) usually M W F. Doing mostly cardio on a bike to lose some weight. I recently had surgery on my left wrist (thankfully I'm a righty) so no lifting for awhile. Any lifting I did or will do is pretty light. I'm out of shape and currently trying to get back into it.

I'm planning on getting up to 4 day a week M, Tu, Th, F and adding some weight training when the wrist is better. The certified trainer who is there in the morning (I work night shift and hit the gym on the way home) seems like a knowledgeable guy and is in tremendous shape himself. I will consult with him (and verify the info online).

H Houlahound .... yeah, getting old sucks. I feel that way because when I go into the gym now, and lift the weights that I now lift... I think about where I was at my prime. And there is no freaking way I can get back there, either easily, quickly, or even at all. I never used 'roids when I was in my prime, I built all my strength through hard work and genetics. But now, my joints/tendons/ligaments/muscles are all three decades older than when I could throw Buicks around. Trouble is, my brain says I can do one thing... and my body says NO! But, I am stubborn... and I'm keeping at it. I was at the gym last night and I think I freaked out a couple of guys when I was working my last super-set... a pure tricep exercise followed up with bicep curls. I was pushing some good weight on the Tricep exercise. I don't cheat with my form EVER, on any exercise. So, I don't feel too bad if I can't do something at a super heavy weight. I'd rather do it right than some bastardization way that I see too many do.

I don't know about your statement that strength is the last thing to leave with age.... mine certainly hasn't persisted. I used to be able to do multiple sets of BP with 315. Once was stupid enough to say that there will never be a time in my life where I couldn't put up 225. Yeah. Proved that one wrong.... I am not anywhere near that now, but there will be a time when I will try again. Just might take a long long time to get there.... if I don't blow out my left shoulder that is. So, yeah... strength will leave you too. You just have to have the fortitude to work your way back there in a safe and sane manner. Believe me, if I EVER get to the point where I can throw up 315 again, I will crow it loudly here. (FYI.... I hit AARP age a long time ago)

Mongo Mongo , with respect your thinking about this all wrong. Comparing yourself physically now to yourself in your physical prime is irrational and can only lead to brain funk.

Your alive, you can still go to a gym and throw iron around. You know how many people can no longer do that or worse never could???

Our bodies peak and then decay - facts. If you want to change the facts then start blasting gear. Lol, if I ever start posting from Thailand about cool Thailand swords and sh!t you know I'm running a cycle.

Be thankful and rejoice in every moment....soon enough it will all be over anyway.

Last edited:
Not a gym rat, but I do work out at home 3-4 days. I set up a small home gym in the basement with a Bowflex, handful of dumbbells, stationary bike, treadmill, and a pull-up bar.

I workout 3-4 days a week, alternating muscle groups and routines. Usually start with 10-15 minutes of cardio on the bike (much prefer it to the treadmill) then go to 45-60 min on the Bowflex. Depending on the day, and the routine, I'll also throw in the dumbbells and pull-up bar, as well as push-ups, crunches, burps, etc... On occasion, weather and time permitting, I'll also try to get in some miles on the actual bicycle - especially if I can get out onto some single track, but that's rare these days.

I'm not training for anything, just trying to stay fit. Started about 3 years ago after a motorcycle accident where I broke my collar bone. I was always in OK shape (a bit skinny if anything), but now, at 47, I'm probably in better shape than I was at 27. I'm 6'1" and fluctuate between 185-190 lbs, which is 15-20 lbs of gained muscle mass from when I first started.

Those who complain "A Buck 110 is "Too Heavy" to carry or use ..."
Should get a gym membership and use it. (after all, a Buck 110 weighs less than half a pound) But, they don't or won't.

73 years old, NE Ga. Still in the gym 3-4 times a week. Schedule Mon, shoulders and back. Wednesday, legs. Friday, chest. Sat or Sunday, biceps and triceps.

340# BP at 66. 460# Squat. Deadlift, not done due to stomach hernia. Maybe 315# if I wanted to try.

Powerlifting mainly, some cardio.

I lift M (Bench), T (Squats), Th (Press), F (Deadlifts). I'd say I lean towards the powerlifting style if I had to choose. I started with Rippetoe's Starting Strength and then moved on to one of the intermediate programs in his PPST book. It revolves around the four main lifts: Bench, Press, Squat, and Deadlifts (I prefer sumo style) with some accessory work. I don't train for meets or anything, but just to be stronger in general. I don't have any huge goals, but as long as my numbers keep going up, I'm happy. I don't do much cardio. I do some interval jump roping on Saturdays, mostly to keep the growing tire around my waist in check.

73 years old, NE Ga. Still in the gym 3-4 times a week. Schedule Mon, shoulders and back. Wednesday, legs. Friday, chest. Sat or Sunday, biceps and triceps.

340# BP at 66. 460# Squat. Deadlift, not done due to stomach hernia. Maybe 315# if I wanted to try.

Powerlifting mainly, some cardio.
Very impressive Thunder!

I like your training, thank you for sharing. I can also say that I admire men who play sports after 50+. They often look cooler than the young people who sit on the couch and eat McDonald's cheeseburgers. If we talk about me, I'm one of those who used to sit on the couch and watch Netflix, then went to the office and sat on a chair and all my life in a sitting position. And I realized that this was negatively affecting my health, that I was turning into a young old man and my body was becoming lazy. I bought a gym membership and after 2 months of training, I decided to take a testosterone course to increase my muscles and stamina. If anyone else doubts that it works, you can read this article https://steroidcycle.org/testosterone-cycle/. So, I liked that in a short period of training I became a different person. I like this result and I will try to keep it.

Last edited:
Back