Gym goers?

And yes about preserving mobility into old age. I think for that you want to flex the knees deep, one at a time, and raise yourself up against gravity, over and over. Hills. Stairs. Slow and controlled. With added weight. Progressively, until your body needs to deload and recycle. That's going to be how I do it. And fast whenever I can get away with it.

Kenya is well represented in elite marathon running, but to say they don't wear shoes is absurd. Not only do all elite marathon runners wear shoes, right now they almost all wear the new "super shoes" with enhanced efficiency, thought to be a big part of a lot of recent top performances.

There can be more to running than jogging a few miles a few times a week which one quickly adapts to. Training for 400m sprints for example involves numerous intense elements some of which are done in the weight room.

You may not be aware of the massive and rapidly growing barefoot jogging movement. Most wear covers on their feet but they are not shoes as you would expect.

There is also the Mexican tribe running crazy distances barefoot.

The modern jogging style is currently being challenged as unhealthy in the modern jogging shoes encourage a heel first ground strike. Many are rejecting this style as extremely unhealthy on joints, the barefoot movement are leading the challenge.

Yeah, I'm not talking about trends in recreational training. He was talking about "the fastest marathon runners in the world". The elite pack at the major international races all wear one or another of a very limited selection of these new shoes.

And yes about preserving mobility into old age. I think for that you want to flex the knees deep, one at a time, and raise yourself up against gravity, over and over. Hills. Stairs. Slow and controlled. With added weight. Progressively, until your body needs to deload and recycle. That's going to be how I do it. And fast whenever I can get away with it.
Jogging does nothing for range of motion.

Jogging does nothing for range of motion.

This was my point. Climbing stairs and hills requires great range of motion and stimulates more muscle, while also taxing the cardio and respiratory systems. Bang for your buck.

Anyone receiving notifications on this thread, who's still active in training, please consider lending your support to the cause of a "Physical Culture" section in the Activities, Training and Skills Development section?

Back