H.E.S.T Passaround Review Thread

Man, this thread is REALLY making me want to get an un-numbered one so i can use it...Don't want to use my numbered one. :)

Hey onado2000, I'm glad you liked the lanyard.
As for buying a HEST, I will definately get one if I dont win the pass around one.;) I really think it has a place all its own in the RAT line up, and with the pry bar, wire cutter, bottle opener and stash place, I would feel perfectly comfortable carrying it in place of my Izula in certain situations. :thumbup:

Yeah, JetBlack, I love that lanyard. Its awesome!!! I cant wait to use the HEST in a few weeks, I wanted to handle it b/4 I spend coin on a larger Izula w/storage space. But that was a really nice gesture to add that lanyard. It looks kickass for sure!:thumbup:

Ok, after some much needed rain in South Texas, I finally got a chance to get out to the ranch and put the HEST through some paces. Please note I am *not* an outdoors expert by any means and am just getting into the whole survival arena. (I watch surviverman a whole bunch though) :D

ok so I thought it would be interesting to try to get a fire going without matches with the hest and a mag firerod (never tried before)

knifereviewandmuddyday002.jpg

and dig out a hole for some dry kindling stuff:

knifereviewandmuddyday003.jpg

and get some sock lint (survivorman style):

knifereviewandmuddyday007.jpg

and after repeated attempts:

knifereviewandmuddyday009.jpg

checked blade sharpness after hacking on the mag firestarter and the wood and it still was sharp so I tried the wirecutting part which I have never done before:

knifereviewandmuddyday004.jpg

after about 10 seconds:

knifereviewandmuddyday006.jpg

How it fits in the pack..sooo nice...want to keep it!!

knifereviewandmuddyday011.jpg

and a pic of the 4 wheeler after a day mudding:

knifereviewandmuddyday013.jpg

All in all a very kick ass knife that is perfect for carrying in the pack and doing pretty much whatever you need to do with it.

Godspeed, Libertas

Great reviews guys! I really like the looks and integrated features of that knife. Seems to be aptly suited as a survival/EDC knife. I'm probably going to have to order one from knivesshipfree.com, especially after reading that Derrick was cool enough to supply the HEST knife used in the reviews. Makes me proud to say that I purchased my RC-6 (my first rat) from his site. Looks like it's already shipped from the order status I just checked, and I only ordered it around noon today. Hope to get it soon! I anticipate ordering more RAT knives from his site soon!

How exactly does that wirebreaker work? Is it a sharpened notch in the blade of some sort?

I believe it breaks wire, not cuts it.
That kind of breaker exploits that fact that wire has limits on how often, and how far, it can be bent repeatedly in the same spot. The breaker notch is basically a wrench/lever used to bend the wire back and forth until it snaps.

I believe it breaks wire, not cuts it.
That kind of breaker exploits that fact that wire has limits on how often, and how far, it can be bent repeatedly in the same spot. The breaker notch is basically a wrench/lever used to bend the wire back and forth until it snaps.

That makes sense, I like the idea of that feature. Could prove useful in my line of work.

I just got the HEST in the mail! Can't wait to work this guy out. I'm really busy this week so I will evaulate over the weekend. Thanks so much guys!!

Looks like that blade had quite the workout! I'm really digging the bottle opener on it. Gotta love multi-purpose tools.

Andy

I'm really liking the idea of the lanyard with the washers. Shows some great thought not to mention good workmanship. And thanks for the review.

just trying to keep the hest review thread close to the top! i want people to read this thread!

Back