Hacked in NY

Sorry to hear about this problem Gary. I just shut down a card because someone in NY was buying Avon on my dime. Dam Scammers they need their hands amputated.

For online shopping, a virtual credit card adds a layer of security. Some card issuers let you randomly generate a new card number linked to your account. In industry jargon, this is a "virtual credit card." Ideally, it would be a single-use number. I don't know if anyone still offers this, possibly not. If not single use, it still gives you more control. First, if you use it for one merchant only, you will instantly know where it was stolen. Second, you can cancel the virtual card number at any time — for example, when you're certain you won't need to return what you've bought. Other than #2, the only drawback is the need to keep a paper or Acrobat (pdf) copy of your sales receipt.

If you use this consistently, you needn't worry about a merchant's web site being hacked and your card number stolen. A virtual number can be stolen, but if you exercise due diligence it cannot be used after your one-time purchase.

Run a search on "virtual credit card" and you will find lots of articles and/or advertisements.

Last edited:
That sounds like a great idea and one worth checking into, thanks for the info !
G2

Scammers they need their hands amputated.

Sorry but no. Bloody flogging, but no amputation. The flogging bit is the beginning of the punishment, but they will need both hands for the subsequent years of forced labor in service of their victims.

I think I have had attempts run on me, but I have no credit (i.e. I rent and don't borrow money) and no money, so nothing has ever come of it.

Moderation in moderation ;)

Got a call yesterday, said it was from Amazon that someone was trying to buy an iphone 11 on my account, my wife caught the call, handed me the phone, the guy said, 'what is your full name? ' CLICK, so I went on line to Amazon and chatted with them and no one from Amazon shows as calling my house and nothing on my account claims to have tried to order a phone, the chat guy/gal said to just hang up and do not converse with anyone like that, which I figured out already.

THEN, got an email...said it was from my wife's brother, asking for help, saying that he was out of town and needed to get some itune gift cards for his niece asked if I would help. Seemed odd as he NEVER emails anyone, he's more off line than I am, so, I played along and said I would help. Then he/it emailed me back saying great, get 4 $100 cards, scratch off the back pin numbers, take a photo and email that to him/it. I emailed back are you sure that will be enough? He/it said yeah that will be great. A few hours later an email asking where the card images were, I said I had to travel to best buy and it will take a while to get there and back....and then I blocked and spammed marked that clown...I can't imagine anyone taking someone up on this but there must be some that have such a giving heart wanting to help they can not stop themselves before it's too late.

And, happy Sunday folks! stay safe out there,
G2

Obviously the strong solution is not to get spam calls. There won't be a really strong solution until FCC forces the major carriers to block call spoofing, and that won't happen until later this year. I mostly let suspect calls go to my voicemail, and if they don't leave a message or leave a spam/scam message, I block their number. But sometimes you have to answer all calls.

When I get a live and allegedly human scammer, and I have a few minutes with nothing better to do, I give them my best Joe E. Ross imitation: "Ooh, ooh, someone's at the door! Can you hold the line?" Then I put my phone under a pillow and see how long they take to hang up. Time is money in cold calling, and a stall hits them where it hurts.

Hopefully everyone remembers Joseph Roszawikz AKA Joe E. Ross as Patrolman Gunther Toody in Car 54, Where Are You? His "ooh, ooh" was memorable.

Last edited:
Yes, I remember "Car 54 where are you?" with Fred Gwynne

Yes, I remember "Car 54 where are you?" with Fred Gwynne

Fred Gwynne! Everyone remembers Herman Munster, but his first speaking role was John Friendly's laconic thug Mladen "Slim" Sekulovich in On the Waterfront (1954). His one line: "That's why I never got married."

vlcsnap-00015.png

But sometimes you have to answer all calls. [REDACTED] When I get a live and allegedly human scammer...

I wouldn't have even posted the text I redacted from your quote. If a scammer was somehow able to connect your phone number with your BF account he could use that info.

Gary
Something similar happened with my wifes debit several years ago, people were in Florida using her card number buying gas in several places, bank called us, after that we got another account that we use for everyday stuff, we put $ on it as its needed.
If it happens again, they will get very little. :D

Back