Handle texture preference

Probably canvas micarta, with a slight rough texture, not slick like linen micarta. I also like jigged bone or something synthetic jigged bone. I like the textured g10 of my Manly Wasp too.

For folders, I like the CF scales that are on my GB2. Sufficient grip and easier on my pockets than G10.
I do not like smooth ti scales.
For fixed blades, canvas micarta or a grippy G10 is preferred.
I agree with others that grip design is very important.

I feel like if a person is using a knife so hard that they are worried about it coming out of their hand, said person might need a different tool.

One knife I have had textured G10 scales that were so aggressive they would have made good fingernail files. Turns out I prefer aggressive texture OTB as it is very easy sand down to that just-right-for-me texture. Can't really make smooth scales more aggressive.

One small mod I tend to do on all folders is remove the clip and sand the scale smooth just underneath it - much nicer to draw and replace, and doesn't rip up pockets. Can't believe knife manufacturers don't do this - it's pretty common on flashlights.

These are my most carried moderns and modern traditionals. It would appear I'm not to picky as long as it fits my hand and doesn't create hot spots. I've found if the blade geometry cuts well, I don't need a super gripy handle. Really anything from wood to composite C/F.
nHPGbiM.jpg

These are my most carried moderns and modern traditionals. It would appear I'm not to picky as long as it fits my hand and doesn't create hot spots. I've found if the blade geometry cuts well, I don't need a super gripy handle. Really anything from wood to composite C/F.
nHPGbiM.jpg
I’m pretty much the same. I love the scales on my Manly, the Freek, Titanium, CF, bone, Grivory, etc. As long as it isn’t super slippery, I’m good.

Gary, I used to own a Strider SnG. It's probably the knife I most regret selling, and sold a lot of knives.

If the ergonomics are there, handle material does not matter most of the time.

I sold my LionSteel SR1 because the scales we're so slick, it was not comfortable to flick open, let alone use.

I don't like metal handles anyway. They get so cold here in the winter. Still, I have a few.

I had one of those Lionsteel solid frame models and I agree, super slick and hard to hold, well made but for me, just not something I wanted to use.

Never had a Strider, one thing about them, for a different thread topic I think, is the sharpening choil thingy, I know a lot of people swear by them while others swear at them, but my preference is to just have an edge up to the handle. The Spyderco Resilience is all edge, nothing to catch on material. For those knives that have a space before the edge starts, I usually will round that down so if material gets caught in that area it will slide up and onto the edge and not cause a hangup.

G2

Lionsteel does a fine job of texturing, but not over texturing G10 on the M1 (my favorite fixed blade EDC at the moment). To me it's the perfect balance of grippy without over doing it.

6590DE0C-ADC8-4D52-92D7-993EA8EB22E4.jpeg

Back