Hanwei Tactical Wak

Just thought some of you sword folk might be interested:

SH2432.jpg

Description: The “Sidearm of the Samurai” gets a serious update in our Tactical Wak, designed for strenuous outdoor use and protection. Based on the blade geometry and superb cutting ability of our Raptor series wakizashi but with full tang construction for ultimate strength, the Tactical Wak is equal to any required task and then some. The 5160 high-carbon spring steel blade is plasma coated for corrosion protection and the checkered Kraton handle provides a sure foul-weather grip. The fiberglass scabbard construction avoids water absorption and reduces carrying weight, while several lanyard holes and the included ParaCord provide carrying and backpack attachment options.

Features:
* Full Tang Contruction
* 5160 Steel
* Fiberglass Scabbard

Stats:
Overall length: 31"
Blade length: 20"
Handle length: 8 1/2"
Weight: 1lb 14 oz.
================================================

Given that I have absolutely no swords skills and no real knowledge about what makes a great high quality traditional katana, this is the type of sword that appeals to me. It's short for possible home defense and has a full tang. I really don't like the idea of the short tangs used in traditional katanas. Again, that may just be because of my ignorance on the topic, but I've read of swords flying out of the handle, so the short tangs with the little pieces of wood holding them in never made much sense to me. I've also read that the expensive quality katanas are designed more for keeping an uber sharp edge and they require great skill because they might bend if the technique is sloppy. Well, my "technique" if you can call it that, is probably as sloppy as it gets, so I would need a sword that compensates for sloppy technique, even if it loses edge retention in the process. This sword seems to fit pretty much what I would look for as a non-serious sword guy. I'd love to read the thoughts of the more knowledgeable members about what they think of it.

http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=SH2432

I have a hanwei banshee that I use for clearing blackberries etc on my acreage. (fun)
Recommended by a hydro guy I know had picked one up and was clearing circles around the guys with their issue machete. A lot right of ways/greenspace up here are choked with bramble.
It is a really tough sword and I paid 30 bucks less than that waki.

I'd love to read the thoughts of the more knowledgeable members about what they think of it.

I'll order one tomorrow and let you know when it comes in, run it through the paces.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Odd...I wonder why I didn't see one at SHOT:confused:

You were at SHOT, SSpudly?

Thanks for the headsup.....it is expected that I will be at SHOT every other year or so, due to proximity and connections.

What is your reason?;)

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Hanwei customer service said that these are not officially due out until the 3rd quarter of 2010. Alot of people would like to have one as a cheap beater sword that they may not be afraid to carry into the woods.

There are some great alternatives from custom makers out there as well. John Gonzalez, Rob Criswell (no longer made), American Kami, Wally Hayes, Barry Dawson, etc.

An interesting direction for them! I wish they would have used something more durable than kraton for the tsuka, but it'll get the job done, for sure. The page shows it as out of stock because it simply hasn't been IN stock yet. :)

Looks pretty cool to me! I may have to pick one of those up when they're released. :thumbup:

You were at SHOT, SSpudly?

Thanks for the headsup.....it is expected that I will be at SHOT every other year or so, due to proximity and connections.

What is your reason?;)

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Because I am teh coolest:p

actually, Suino wanted me to go talk to them (hanwei)about a custom line.

BTW, I should have one of these by tomorrow

http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=SH2416

Last edited:
Niiiiiice! I like what they've done with the whole Raptor line. The Nambuchoko is a BEAST. :cool:

Because I am teh coolest:p

actually, Suino wanted me to go talk to them (hanwei)about a custom line.

BTW, I should have one of these by tomorrow

http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=SH2416

Well, it would have been nice to go out for a burger together or something, I was there on Wednesday.

Raptors are an EXCELLENT answer from CAS/Hanwei to Cold Steel, considering that Paul Chen woke everybody up.

The ETA for the Tactical Wak is SEPTEMBER 2010.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Well, it would have been nice to go out for a burger together or something, I was there on Wednesday.

Raptors are an EXCELLENT answer from CAS/Hanwei to Cold Steel, considering that Paul Chen woke everybody up.

The ETA for the Tactical Wak is SEPTEMBER 2010.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

to be honest bud, it was a last minute decision to go. We didn't get there until thursday morning.

Maybbe next year:)

this part has me curious - "designed for strenuous outdoor use and protection. " i wonder if it's warranteed. i mean, will this thing run with my Waki?

I saw these in the catalog, totally cool!

Back