Hard Use Folder?

Its design is not tacticool like the ZT's , classy like the buck, or has a blade like the Opinel, but it is relatively inexpensive, tough, and it has a nice rubbery comfortable handle.I'd suggest you checking out the Gerber Gator. Don't confuse it for a prybar though. :p
Yd3LFUG.jpg

I'm carrying my Aluminum & Micarta 110 from Copper and Clad and while it has beaten out my Opinel #9 for EDC this past year, and while I've owned a 110 since the 70s and have logged more time with them than any other knife, I wouldn't call them a good "hard use" knife.

Repeated hard cuts can wear down the lock bars or damage the pivot pins, leading to lock rock. Hard prying cuts can create blade wobble.

This isn't my video but it's consistent with my experience with the Opinel. I prefer the #9 or #10.
How many years did it take Pinnah to wear down a lock bar.?

I'm carrying my Aluminum & Micarta 110 from Copper and Clad and while it has beaten out my Opinel #9 for EDC this past year, and while I've owned a 110 since the 70s and have logged more time with them than any other knife, I wouldn't call them a good "hard use" knife.

Repeated hard cuts can wear down the lock bars or damage the pivot pins, leading to lock rock. Hard prying cuts can create blade wobble.

This isn't my video but it's consistent with my experience with the Opinel. I prefer the #9 or #10.
Opinel is a hard use knife ?

When was the last time you scored and cut sheet metal with your sebenza?
My ZT was a shop tool.

I don't own a Sebenza. I use an old Opinel #8 with the blade reshaped to a sheepsfoot for scoring work. Cut down metal cans for shims with either an Opinel or Buck 110. I treat them as tools too.

Opinels are generally tougher than lock backs in my experience but it is possible to break the blade with too much prying.

How many years did it take Pinnah to wear down a lock bar.?

I have a 2 dot 112 with significant lock rock. Buck says the blade interface is shot and the play can't be eliminated without replacing the lock bar and blade, but it's a 440C blade so I'm keeping it as is. They replaced the pivot pins and that helped.

My Ecolite died in less than a year. My new C&C drop point has a significant amount of lateral play out of the box and will be going back. I've killed off several Bucklite Max and Bantams in less than a year. The brass 110s hold out better to be sure, but search the archives on the Buck forum for regular reports of blade play in 110s. It's a lock back and the design is prone to it. We can also add the Schrade 6OT and 50OT both with lock rock.

I was going to say Cold Steel Swift. That thing is a tank. Love mine but..4" blade.
I'd stick to a CS frame lock though.

Opinel is a hard use knife ?

Define hard use.

Opinels will stand up to hard cutting and prying better than a peened pin traditional lock back like the Buck 110 (or the old Scrhades like the 6OT).

There used to be a guy named Pete who used to post to the traditional forum. He used to work in HVAC and noted that his work knife was an Opinel #9 Carbone. He used it to cut AC ducts and from the pictures he posted, there is no doubt. Perhaps you can find his pictures in the archives.

Here is a video that is consistent with my experience. This is similar to kind of wood cutting I do with my knives. It's wrecked many lock backs but never an Opinel.

This may not be hard use as you're thinking of it though, so YMMV.

Its design is not tacticool like the ZT's , classy like the buck, or has a blade like the Opinel, but it is relatively inexpensive, tough, and it has a nice rubbery comfortable handle.I'd suggest you checking out the Gerber Gator. Don't confuse it for a prybar though. :p
Yd3LFUG.jpg

Certainly a viable option, they have several versions to choose from, all made in the USA.

For $30-ish get the 420HC, For $45 grab a 154CM version, and for $80-ish you can step up to the S30V.

Define hard use.

Opinels will stand up to hard cutting and prying better than a peened pin traditional lock back like the Buck 110 (or the old Scrhades like the 6OT).

There used to be a guy named Pete who used to post to the traditional forum. He used to work in HVAC and noted that his work knife was an Opinel #9 Carbone. He used it to cut AC ducts and from the pictures he posted, there is no doubt. Perhaps you can find his pictures in the archives.

Here is a video that is consistent with my experience. This is similar to kind of wood cutting I do with my knives. It's wrecked many lock backs but never an Opinel.

This may not be hard use as you're thinking of it though, so YMMV.

So which model do you suggest is similar size to a Buck 110? I will hard test both and document the results.

So which model do you suggest is similar size to a Buck 110? I will hard test both and document the results.
A No 8 has nearly identical blade edge length as the Buck 110. Based on that, I'd guesstimate the No 9 or No 10 would be about right depending on where you measure.

A No 8 has nearly identical blade edge length as the Buck 110. Based on that, I'd guesstimate the No 9 or No 10 would be about right depending on where you measure.
Thank you.

Love my Lionsteel SR2a for heavy folder tasks.
Vininull's tests showed that Lionsteel's aluminum handle is a bad choice for hard use. Forces on the stop pin caused plastic deformation of its mounting holes, causing the pin to loosen.

I love my Les George design ZT 0909 for hard use. Discontinued, but they were clearing out at $125 last time I checked. Full steel liners, thick, no cutouts.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
Now I have some research to do.

Another vote for the Buck Marksman I really like it. It is elegant and tough. It takes a while to wear in but once it is, it really develops a sweet action.

nvZrPWK.jpg

I know its off topic but I have realised a small fixed blade is a better alternative for many hard use tasks. Try it yourself and see how effective they can be.

Looks like you already pulled the trigger but I'll weigh in...
I think the #10 is closest to the 110 in overall size, including the handle.
I think the #9 is closer to a large sodbuster in overall size.
I think the #8 is closer to a 112 in overall size.

Two important notes.... As with axe handles, the Opinel joint/handles get stronger the thicker they are and the better aligned the grain is. As with an axe/hatchet, if the grain is horizontal it's possible to simply break the handle of an 8 under hard cutting. I don't have the hand/arm strength to break a 9 or 10.

Second and more importantly, don't test the lock strength of the Opinel as it's a very good way to amputate your fingers. The "lock" on an Opinel is more like a stiff slip joint. It prevents the blade from moving from a casual bump but should never be relied upon under hard closing forces. It will simply pop off and the knife will close. I pry with my knives but never in the closed direction, so I don't consider lock strength a part of "hard use", which is why I asked how people define "hard use".

Oh.. third comment... any knife can be broken including the Opinel. If you want to break an Opinel quickly, pry with it repeatedly. Eventually you'll work harden the blade and will break the blade. This will happen long before the knife develops any blade play in the joint, at least in my experience.

Keep us posted. Very interested in what your experiences are.

My hardest use knife under $150 would be my Emersons. CQC-7 is a tank.

Depending on the "Task" your asking of your knife however, you may want to consider carrying a Multitool with a blade on it.

I carry my Emerson EDC-2 or my Leatherman Charge Ti when I know i'll be doing more demanding tasks. Pry bars, pliers, files, etc. And they both have very usable blades...

I'm gonna have to be unoriginal and go with a Cold Steel too. Lawman, Ultimate Hunter, etc. They have great steel, a tough lock, great ergos, and well-priced.

Looks like you already pulled the trigger but I'll weigh in...
I think the #10 is closest to the 110 in overall size, including the handle.
I think the #9 is closer to a large sodbuster in overall size.
I think the #8 is closer to a 112 in overall size.

Two important notes.... As with axe handles, the Opinel joint/handles get stronger the thicker they are and the better aligned the grain is. As with an axe/hatchet, if the grain is horizontal it's possible to simply break the handle of an 8 under hard cutting. I don't have the hand/arm strength to break a 9 or 10.

Second and more importantly, don't test the lock strength of the Opinel as it's a very good way to amputate your fingers. The "lock" on an Opinel is more like a stiff slip joint. It prevents the blade from moving from a casual bump but should never be relied upon under hard closing forces. It will simply pop off and the knife will close. I pry with my knives but never in the closed direction, so I don't consider lock strength a part of "hard use", which is why I asked how people define "hard use".

Oh.. third comment... any knife can be broken including the Opinel. If you want to break an Opinel quickly, pry with it repeatedly. Eventually you'll work harden the blade and will break the blade. This will happen long before the knife develops any blade play in the joint, at least in my experience.

Keep us posted. Very interested in what your experiences are.

You forgot another very important point;

The whole structure of an Opinel is dependent on a pin through two thin 'fingers' of wood that support the blade, bolster, and locking collar. Everything is anchored right there on that single pin. If you by accident or design apply any twisting or sideways torque on the pivot area, one of the supporting wood fingers can crack, rendering the whole knife a floppy candidate for the trash can. I've had this happen to me on a number 8 Opinel. I have witnessed a number 7 I think it was, many years ago break in such a way the whole metal structure sheered off under some heavy cutting. Granted the cutter was a 6' 4" inch 240 pound strong guy who was a bit stressed that his wife had a broken leg, so YMMV. But Danny was forever after, never without his SAK that had a saw blade on it.

I had about a thirty year love/hate relationship with Opinels, modding them, sanding and staining the handles, soaking is linseed oil or melting wax into the joints to try to water proof them. Hammering the pivot pins to tighten them to use as a friction folder, filing the locking ring to make them more secure in the locked mode. But I finally gave up on them and now I still own one, but it's in the kitchen drawer and used for very fine work in the kitchen. They do slice extremely well, but for a knife that I can drop in a pocket and go on with my life without extensive tinkering with, I just go with something else. A alox SAK, a Sodbuster style knife with real steel liners and handle scales of a durable synthetic. If I need "hard use" I will use a fixed blade. The original hard use knife.

Alos, keep in mind on that video, the Irish guy is cutting willows. This wood grows in wet ground and is soft and very easy to cut. What he is doing is bending the branch down to such a degree that even a slight cut into the grain of the wood at a 45 degree angle will cause a stress fracture of the branch. Take careful note on the video how the branch is many times actually breaking off with a long trailer that he twists off. You can do that on a lot of willows with a little Victorinox recruit. Same for notching around the base and making a V grove and causing a stress line to break off. His other video similar to this he uses a little two blade pen knife to demonstrate this. It's a little deceiving and slight of hand if you don't know what he's doing. He's a really big guy and he's mostly breaking the branches off after creating a stress fracture in the wood with he knife blade.

And like Pinnah said, don't ever trust the lock on an Opinel. It's not really a lock like we think. It's just a slight added feature to what is essentially a friction folder. For the first 65 years of their existence, from 1890 to 1955, there was no lock at all on any Opinel. They were strait up friction folders. A lawyer for the Opinel family created the 'Viroblock' for so called safety, actually making them more dangerous because some people will actually think it's a real lock. Always use an Opinel like a slip joint. I got to where I'd actually just take off the locking ring and peen the pivot for a snug fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: AF
Back