Hard Use Folder?

Have you had any issues with the lock during normal use or otherwise? Otherwise being "spine tests" Just ordered one and I'm hoping I get the same performance!
Are you going to do a spine whack 'test' right away? How important is that test to you?

Are you going to do a spine whack 'test' right away? How important is that test to you?
I may put up to moderate pressure on the back of the blade to see if it folds and I may tap the back of the blade on something to see if it folds, but I don't want to hit it hard and damage it.

It is only important if it seems like an issue I would encounter during normal use, but I am not going to test it to failure.

I may put up to moderate pressure on the back of the blade to see if it folds and I may tap the back of the blade on something to see if it folds, but I don't want to hit it hard and damage it.

It is only important if it seems like an issue I would encounter during normal use, but I am not going to test it to failure.
You are going to be putting pressure on the spine during regular use? I would just say, I would 'test' on the back of your hand with some light pressure. If you're determined to do "spine whacks" I would use the knife and let the lock settle before doing that.

You are going to be putting pressure on the spine during regular use? I would just say, I would 'test' on the back of your hand with some light pressure. If you're determined to do "spine whacks" I would use the knife and let the lock settle before doing that.
That is what I had in mind. I've never had an issue stabbing, cutting with a liner lock, even with cheaper knives. I will test it and see if it passes what I deem "normal use".

"Hard use" is a spectrum and I'd agree that past a certain point, it's better to go with a fixed blade. Some folding knives are sturdier than others. Some can withstand more force against the locking mechanism than others. They're all still folders. It's like the difference between a gate and a wall during a siege. It needs to be strong but don't expect miracles.

I was doing a little research on heavier-duty folders recently and I heard good things about the Tuyaknife Bruiser and Talisman. I don't speak the language but here is a fun "hard use" video of the former:

I would recommend cold steel for a slightly cheaper option, I like what I have experienced with them so far. The broken skull is a little long, but its pretty slim so I think it would fit your parameters. I would also recommend the spyderco Manix 2XL. Its been a great knife for the money in my experience. Good luck!

I honestly don't have a "hard use" folder. My folder is pocket jewelry to talk about with other knife guys and enjoy. This is my hard use knife.
Tqt62UY.jpg

Hard use folder, I would recommend an Cold Steel Triad lock.

"Hard use" is a spectrum and I'd agree that past a certain point, it's better to go with a fixed blade. Some folding knives are sturdier than others. Some can withstand more force against the locking mechanism than others. They're all still folders. It's like the difference between a gate and a wall during a siege. It needs to be strong but don't expect miracles.

I was doing a little research on heavier-duty folders recently and I heard good things about the Tuyaknife Bruiser and Talisman. I don't speak the language but here is a fun "hard use" video of the former:

Is using a knife to cut wood considered hard use? We used to have to do the same thing in boy scouts when I was a kid with a Swiss army knife and never had anyone break a knife or have it shut on their hand.

Back