Has CRK ruined other knives for you?

Short answer is 100% yes!!! But I still have a great appreciation for Shams and Shiros which have ruined me for almost all others in the flipper category.

i wish shamwaris were easier to get instead of constantly being flipped. Ive wanted to try one but Im not paying the mark up. I suppose titanium folders wise, a plain jane crk is practically bullet proof.

Last edited:
Now that's a concern. Might want to have them look at that.

Oh, maybe I wasn't clear. The knife works fine as delivered (with very heavy detent/lockbar pressure). I was "playin' DR." with the knife (adjusting the lockbar), messed it up, and had to put it back the way it was from CRK. :)

It was worth it. Now I know that it needs to be as heavy as it is...on this knife anyway. That, and that I shouldn't monkey around with lock bars.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Oh, maybe I wasn't clear. The knife works fine as delivered (with very heavy detent/lockbar pressure). I was "playin' DR." with the knife (adjusting the lockbar), messed it up, and had to put it back the way it was from CRK. :)

It was worth it. Now I know that it needs to be as heavy as it is...on this knife anyway. That, and that I shouldn't monkey around with lock bars.

I’m glad you share this story. I understand the temptation to get the 31 as light as a 21 and I would not have expected the outcome you experienced. Makes sense though.

Sorry for the thread drift.

I have just begun my journey of "not victorinox knives". I was not a collector, but I always had one as I was brought up knowing that "a gentleman ALWAYS carried a knife". A friend of mine had always talked about CRKs, but I never really much paid attention. We were hanging out one day and I was admiring the knife he was carrying, a Sebenza 25. I was hooked after that. That was three weeks ago, and I now own 3. I fell hard and am now I'm CRK fanboy. ;)

I have just begun my journey of "not victorinox knives". I was not a collector, but I always had one as I was brought up knowing that "a gentleman ALWAYS carried a knife". A friend of mine had always talked about CRKs, but I never really much paid attention. We were hanging out one day and I was admiring the knife he was carrying, a Sebenza 25. I was hooked after that. That was three weeks ago, and I now own 3. I fell hard and am now I'm CRK fanboy. ;)
Welcome to my world, and Blade Forums. You will get no help with your new addiction from this bunch of enablers!
If you haven’t picked up a 25 like your friends yet I recommend looking for one. Take your time and wait for the right one. There are bunches in boxes still that folks tossed in safes. I know I know I don’t understand that either….
Here’s some pics of my 25 to hold you over just in case. View attachment 2300618View attachment 2300619

Oh and one of it with friends…
View attachment 2300622
The 25 is right in the middle. The one above it is what it became the Inkosi and some ( me) think it’s the best knife CRK ever made.

Last edited:
Well, while they certainly haven't ruined other knives for me...they've demanded a decent chunk of money of late.

(Fortunately, all of the recent purchases were made with funds from the sale of one custom I'd owned for twenty years or so and decided I could let go.)

And...if I decide to continue to pursue the tanto 'zaan...which I'm waffling on, it'll be paid for with a recent sale as well.

There's a nice symmetry to that process which keeps things interesting.

Welcome to my world, and Blade Forums. You will get no help with your new addiction from this bunch of enablers!
If you haven’t picked up a 25 like your friends yet I recommend looking for one. Take your time and wait for the right one. There are bunches in boxes still that folks tossed in safes. I know I know I don’t understand that either….
Here’s some pics of my 25 to hold you over just in case. View attachment 2300618View attachment 2300619

Oh and one of it with friends…
View attachment 2300622
The 25 is right in the middle. The one above it is what it became the Inkosi and some ( me) think it’s the best knife CRK ever made.
The 25 is on my short list for sure... which by the way continue to get longer the more I hangout on this forum! You have a beautiful collection there, sir!

The 25 is on my short list for sure... which by the way continue to get longer the more I hangout on this forum! You have a beautiful collection there, sir!
Thank you. I also have a L21 indigo at the mothership right now. Can’t wait to get it back.
As for the 25. It’s an exceptional work knife, tough as nails.

I have a CRK problem…wait…I have a knife problem.
I always ask Ms. Wild Willie if she'd rather I be out carousing and associating with women of a less virtuous nature when she says anything about my polyglot hobbies.

As of right now I have sharpening gear and flint knapping tools strewn haphazardly on the counter. Plus I brought home some Keokuk and a big chunk of novaculite that required rearrangement of her stuff on the mantle so they could sit with my big obsidian spall I haven't worked up the courage to smack with another rock yet.

I'd say it kind of has ruined me for other knives. I've learned the hard way not to sell them on even if I temporarily lose interest. I seem to have a pattern, I'll exclusively carry a Sebenza (these days an early 21 Seagrass graphic) and then over time decide that it's too heavy, that I prefer full flat grind blades, higher tech steels, etc and I'll put that Sebenza aside for a few months and use one of my Spydercos. Then after a while, might be a week or a month or even years, I'll start to miss the CRK. Other knives will come and go, I always come back to CRK.

IMG-2137.jpg

They are beautiful immaculately crafted knives, but I have a formerly broken and arthritic thumb that loathes thumb studs. Even the rest of my body isn't a fan of thumb studs ;)

Plus there is no way I could honestly see myself abusing a $500+ knife in the same way I would a $100 knife. I need to use my pocket knife for all kinds of things I shouldn't!

Absolutely. I can't bring myself to carry less than a $400 knife anymore. The only knives that see any pocket time at all these days that aren't my CRKs is my Arius, my Norseman, one of my 2 Hinderers or an SHF. And all of those together is less than 5 days per month. Seriously, my ZTs, Spydercos, and the like are all just fun collector pieces that I pull out and enjoy from time to time, but never leave the man cave. It doesn't hurt that CRK makes fully dedicated southpaw configurations, so I have lots of variety, where I am limited by the others if I want something truly left handed, either by number of models, or by virtue of the face they don't make them at all.

Now that I've lived with my CRK for a little while, I have not found a great change in what I carry. I will usually have a CRK on me, but will also usually have a Buck and a SAK on me as well. My other knives, Kizer, Civivi, CJRB, LionSteel, etc. are still carried sometimes, just not as often. I often carry more than just the one knife, usually three or four. I just rotate which is where, bag vs pocket.

Yes and no. As far as higher end, non-auto folding knives? Yeah, I think they have. If/when I purchase another folder at the CRK price point, it will very likely be another CRK, for all the obvious reasons.

But for certain roles, I also have a smattering of Benchmades and Spydercos, mainly for situations where losing one wouldn't be that big of a deal, or when I really need something very lightweight (my Bugout CF-Elite is pretty much unbeatable in that role). And I still have a thing for Pro-Tech autos, though at this point, I pretty much have the models I want and I doubt I'll be accumulating more of those.

Back