Have a Great Weekend Everyone!

If I had to guess, he heated up the lock relief before bending it in, then letting it cool. That way, since titanium is a memory metal, it will spring back to that angle. Ish.

I could also have entirely made that up in my head. >_>

Hey Daniel in the first pic it looks like you you used a torch to heat the back end of the frame, why did you do that? is it to make it more stiff? I ask because I am working on a frame lock and am about ready to cut the lock, do you think that if I heated the part that contacts the blade that it would give it more wear resistance?

Edit: I am smoking some chicken legs right now. :D

Chicken legs smoking! :D That sounds awesome!

I heat up the lock recess to bend the lock bar, after heating and bending it is set. You can bend cold too, I think the heat is better but Titanium is a somewhat mysterious metal and I hear a lot. I like to heat until it is easy to bend then heat until it stays, it seems the longer soak at red temp does something to make the metal hold a bend well. I am just in from a 14 hour day and forget the terminology! lol

Those chicken legs sound good, I am into my BBQ!

If I had to guess, he heated up the lock relief before bending it in, then letting it cool. That way, since titanium is a memory metal, it will spring back to that angle. Ish.

I could also have entirely made that up in my head. >_>

That sounds about right to me! I'm still thinking of the proper terminology...

Chicken legs smoking! :D That sounds awesome!

I heat up the lock recess to bend the lock bar, after heating and bending it is set. You can bend cold too, I think the heat is better but Titanium is a somewhat mysterious metal and I hear a lot. I like to heat until it is easy to bend then heat until it stays, it seems the longer soak at red temp does something to make the metal hold a bend well. I am just in from a 14 hour day and forget the terminology! lol

Those chicken legs sound good, I am into my BBQ!

Thanks Daniel.

Thanks Daniel.

Any time! Heat to just red in a dark room, I alternate sides as I go to temp. Push on the Ti and when the temp is correct it will give like it isn't even there... hold with even heat for a few seconds at the correct angle then release. I quench to cool but that isn't important, air cooling also works. I use an inexpensive propane hand held torch.

More pics from today's work...

Grinding a clip

Getting closer!

Back