Heat Treatment - Crystal Weaving Foundation

To get further insight into discrepancies data on charts. I conducted Low Alloy Sequencing/ht (LAS) (vs the usual 'full spectrum sequence'). Got additional data and completely busted carbide striker & anvil of the impact toughness tester. Too bad LAS 8670 only produced 57.5rc. LAS 1095 get 60rc and its toughness reading is 11% higher than 60rc conventional ht 8670. Here is the updated spreadsheet

omgacO3.jpg

Cool stuff, Luong. Thanks for sharing your work.

I bought a thin chopper in 8670, thinking it would be super tough. It wasn't. On my first chop, an inch or so of the tip flew off. Looks like there was a pre-existing crack, based on the rust I saw on the fractured surface. The maker denied it. He reground it (minus an inch) and sent it back. I chopped on it pretty hard. The blade didn't break again, but the handle did.

Here's the fractured surface:
2v2HSWHpuxAWtWs.jpg

Surface exhibits fairly clean/brittle edge to spine fractured. Since I don't see any signs of lateral deformation, look like this 1" tip tore initiated from edge to spine. Picture isn't clear enough to spot any quench or pre-harden crack. 8670 is tough by default/given but over-heated austenite would negate/ruin virtually any steels if using conventional ht. For chopper where high keenness (wear resistance plays part of this also) isn't on top list of requirements, then 8670, 5160, 1075, etc... are good candidates, esp using conventional ht.

Cool stuff, Luong. Thanks for sharing your work.

I bought a thin chopper in 8670, thinking it would be super tough. It wasn't. On my first chop, an inch or so of the tip flew off. Looks like there was a pre-existing crack, based on the rust I saw on the fractured surface. The maker denied it. He reground it (minus an inch) and sent it back. I chopped on it pretty hard. The blade didn't break again, but the handle did.

Here's the fractured surface:

1095 63rc(sequence B above), 9.5 dps edge

Test: whittle elk antler tip, cut heavy duty scouring pad for wear resistance

Result: passed whittle antler Cut ~25 inches of scouring pad

Applied & Validate Notched Impact Toughness physics using 61.5rc O1 and 62.5rc 1095 Axes with 18 Degrees Bevel (Gauge, inclusive angle)

Chop: 2x4 and partially dried Eucalyptus

Result: Confirmed/Passed.

Wow nice work. You found a new way to test blade steels really pushing those edges to the edge of failure.
Amazing work.
Thanks.

To add some context/comparison, here is some #s of the notched 2.5x10mm charpy impact toughness data I generated/tested to-date.
*note 'control' = heat treated with widely used public ht protocol

Steel/hrc/impact-toughness ft-lbs

Control: 1095/63/0.5, O1/61/1.4, 8670/62/1.8, 80CrV2/62.5/2.8, 52100/62/1.8, 5160/62.5/0.015, A8M/61/2.3, L6/62/1.4, 1075/63/1.0, aebl/62/0.7, 3V/62/1.3

Shown in video: 1095/62.5/2.3, O1/61.5/3.0

So far I found, for an axe impact/shock load, edge geometry below 20 degrees (grind bevel + sharpening angle/bevel) required at least (notched subsize charpy impact test 2.0 ft-lbs) to support chopping partial or fully dried eucalyptus wood. Otherwise, 5-12mm edge ripples and or chips. Both tested axes, in video, have same edge geometry: 16*inclusive grind, 30* sharpening angle (sharpening shortened the edge wedge, hence it fits into 17.5* bevel gauge where apex at/near center of hole).

Last edited:
Nobody is being dismissive. I said I could only test with provided heat treatment parameters, you said no.

Oh good then.
1. if you are still willing to test
2. someone else beside me to ht & submit samples, a proper way to conduct this. Here is quick ht params for 1095/52100/26c3/w2/etc..

Let's start with 1095 from Alpha Knife Supply
- 1650 @ 15minutes soak, cool to black
- 1500 @ "
- 1475 "
- 1450 ", interrupted quench in brine 1.5second
- then quench into 350F hot canola oil ** note: version 1.0 uses 480F but since then I uses 350F, which is less smoky and won't degrade oil to quickly
- perform rest of CWF HT Ver 1.0
- Temper to various target hardness.
So this is your HT for 1095. I see that you are bringing the steel down slowly?, maybe? then quenching. I don't see cryo. I don't see times. I ask because I am having trouble understanding how this is any different than any other HT for 1095, and there are many versions. I am just trying to understand what sets yours apart, is it cool down hold times at different temps? Is it a drastically slow cool down, then temper to Rc? I am not trying to be difficult here, just trying to understand. After 8 years, this all just seems mystical. I think you have done enough testing. In fact, most if not all of your videos are testing blanks. So I think there has been enough of that. I just don't see the point of more testing if a better explanation of the process can't be provided. I understand that you may want to keep your process guarded. Like anyone who plans on making money out of it would. However, there needs to be a set of parameters that you work under. For example, after initial heating," my process takes a total of 20 hours for 1095. slow cool down and three tempers to achieve an Rc of 62.5. " I don't see that. In many hundreds of postings I see pieces of process thrown out into discussion like puzzle pieces.
Can you answer the following questions:
1 Does your HT start after initial heating of steel, or can it be done to an already HT'd piece, or both?
2. If starting from raw steel shape, how long is your heat treat on average?
How about a video of your process, even if it is cut into each step to show what you are doing.
I am really interested, but I just don't see that anymore testing makes a difference. If I am out of line here apologies, no disrespect meant. I really am interested.

So this is your HT for 1095. I see that you are bringing the steel down slowly?, maybe? then quenching. I don't see cryo. I don't see times. I ask because I am having trouble understanding how this is any different than any other HT for 1095, and there are many versions. I am just trying to understand what sets yours apart, is it cool down hold times at different temps? Is it a drastically slow cool down, then temper to Rc? I am not trying to be difficult here, just trying to understand. After 8 years,
Indeed, it took 8 years get here.
Have anyone ever seen or hear or google-search a demonstration of a 62+rc 1095 axe with 18* edge? Maybe this test shows something new (new because I don't know what I don't know)
this all just seems mystical. I think you have done enough testing. In fact, most if not all of your videos are testing blanks. So I think there has been enough of that. I just don't see the point of more testing if a better explanation of the process can't be provided. I understand that you may want to keep your process guarded. Like anyone who plans on making money out of it would. However, there needs to be a set of parameters that you work under. For example, after initial heating," my process takes a total of 20 hours for 1095. slow cool down and three tempers to achieve an Rc of 62.5. " I don't see that. In many hundreds of postings I see pieces of process thrown out into discussion like puzzle pieces.
Can you answer the following questions:
1 Does your HT start after initial heating of steel, or can it be done to an already HT'd piece, or both?
Both. It is easier and more consistent to bring *as-bought* condition (from suppliers such as AKS, NJSB, NSM, ...) to prepared pre-hardenening state than steels bars/blanks from unknown/iffy condition.
2. If starting from raw steel shape, how long is your heat treat on average?
With current equipment, this process can takes 1 to 20 days. Currently doing 80% of optimal process, which take around 1 day. With high volume equipment, it should takes less than 3 hrs.
How about a video of your process, even if it is cut into each step to show what you are doing.
I am really interested, but I just don't see that anymore testing makes a difference. If I am out of line here apologies, no disrespect meant. I really am interested.
It probably be a boring video, basically:
1) bandsaw steel bar/sheet into work pieces - blade, axe bit, charpy specimen, etc..
2) thermal cycles to prepare matrix for hardening process - normalize & grain refinement are just standard/public, additional IP steps
3) hardening processs: austenite + soak, 16-20 hrs IP/undisclosed process (just normal physics, no magic here)
4) remove decarb when needed, hardness test, grind to spec, test, sometime post video on YT, BF, ..

O1 64rc 20dps 0.025" BET edge jack hammering douglas Fir, Rosewood, Verawood(Argentine Lignum Vitae), thin aluminum tube, beef rib bone, 16D nail, 6mm dia mild steel rod, 4" thick concrete

update: I just swept(20240427 15:01) the concrete floor - saw a deep slanted gash. Aha, edge chipped when it broke through 4" thick concrete block and plywood, edge slammed into shop floor at a bad angle.

Last edited:
Back